Counterpicking

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Core Steel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2012

I've been playing ranked games for a very, very long time, as you can see if you look at my record for seasons 1 and 2. I have to say counterpicking has become much more evident than it ever has with the evolving metagame. And I have to say I'm not impressed. As a solo top player especially, I have to say it's becoming rare to have a clean battle of skill at solo top. More often than not, I'm fighting for my life as Singed against Kennen, Irelia against Udyr, or Tryndamere against Vayne (each of these are virtually impossible lanes unless you get constant ganks and potion stack). At the same time it's not exactly enjoyable to steamroll a Jax as Annie solo top and get a 20 minute surrender. What do you guys think of the evolving metagame and how to deal with it?

CrusaderAntonius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2012

I usually solo top, and I stopped having fun with it a while ago. It's very much a game of who has a later pick. The guy who gets to counter pick almost always wins.

KarlHeinrichMarx

01-03-2012

Can someone give me an explanation (or point me towards one) of what determines a counterpick? I've always struggled with this (among other things).

Amoc

01-03-2012

Counterpicking as in picking a champion that can violate whoever the opponent has already chosen with impunity.

KarlHeinrichMarx

01-03-2012

Yes. I understand the purpose. I just don't understand how to decide if a particular choice is in fact a counter.

Amoc

01-03-2012

It's going to depend on what's chosen, but there are some fairly obvious examples I think. If I chose Malhazar mid, Gankplank would be a good counter, because he totally negates Malz's ulti which is incredibly frustrating. I'm new to the game so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I love choosing Galio last against a heavy AP team, because late game he just violates a lot of them. Rammus would be the same against a heavy AD team right?

I don't think there's a formula for: If enemy chooses A, you choose B, but after long enough I imagine you start to see what works against what.

CrusaderAntonius

01-03-2012

Here's a good example. Riven counters Nasus. Nasus has a weak early game, whereas Riven has an extremely strong early game. Nasus needs to build up his Q in order to be a threat later on. In order to get in range to farm his Q, he has to get into melee range of the creeps. If he does that, he's going to eat an entire Q + W + 5 enhanced autoattacks from Riven. If he stands still and tries to trade autoattacks, hers will do a LOT more damage and his passive lifesteal won't come anywhere close to mitigating it. If he tries to run in now and then for a last hit, he's going to eat her entire combo repeatedly. If he tries to farm with Spirit Fire, then he's not only pushing the lane and making himself easier to gank, but he's not farming his Q. His main defense in lane is Wither, but due to all of Riven's dashes and the fact that all her skills reset her autoattack timer, Wither is actually very weak against her. She denies him farm with her amazing early game, he's useless later on and she's farmed and quite possibly a bit fed.

So basically a counter if a champion who's mechanics work extremely well against another champ. That help?

MrToasty

01-03-2012

Is there a guide that lists champions and their corresponding counter picks?

ThaWiseWolf

01-03-2012

I believe Ive seen a counterpick list around somewhere but I cant remember where.

calicfer

01-03-2012

Is it possible to counter pick in the support role? besides going Alistar in response to Kat, Kennen, and Fid?