Silence (A Kayle and Jax story)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Psychromaniac

01-01-2012

This is my first time Writing a story for League of Legends, so I hope you guys enjoy what I can offer.

Also, despite what you might think, this is NOT a shipping story. It's more along the lines of an deeper understanding of what I interpret the champions think on their off-time. I think I'm actually rather proud of this one, and I really hope you guys like it. Feel free to ask any questions concerning the symbolism if you so wish.

Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------

She took off her helmet and set it on the balcony, letting her hair flow through the evening wind as she admired the stars. The angel closed her eyes, allowing her mind to drift off into the domain of other things troubling her mind. It was little more that a minute before the hairs rose up on the back of her neck, her millenia of combat experience telling her of am unknown presence behind her. Whirling around, she breathed life into the will of her blade, directing it at the source of disturbance, her wings spread with and her countenance glaring down in aggression.

It was none other than the self-proclaimed grandmaster at arms, Jax, who was looking back at her with an expression of mild boredom through his eyes. With one arm occupied with leaning his body against his trusty lamppost, he raised his other arm in surrender. “Woah, now. I’m just here to talk.”

When the angel refused to budge her battle stance, the ogre shrugged and leaned his brass lamppost against the wall before slowly approaching with his arms raised. She resheathed her ancient sword and turned back toward the starry sky, her guard clearly lowered, but not her glare of concentration. He glided up to the balcony next to her, opting to admire the night sky with her.

He coughed to get her attention, which failed to do anything more than probably annoy her a bit more than she already was. He decided to open up with a joke instead, though it didn’t seem that she was any more interested in learning why the goblin had an extra third leg. Jax sighed and figured he might as well get on with what he was there for.

“Taric told me you were looking down today,” he mumbled out of the corner of his mouth. She grumbled in acknowledgement. It was a start, at least. “I always wondered how he was able to spot those kinda things in people. Figured it was one of two things.”

She rolled her eyes in his direction, mildly interested. “Either he spends too much time looking at his gems, or he’s on the other team.”

This caught the angel’s attention, though in the wrong way Jax expected. Her wings flared up in anger, “Taric is a noble warrior! How dare you suggest he betray his comrades!”

Jax looked at the Judicator out of the corners of his seven half-lidded eyes. “OTHER, other team.” And he looked back at the stars. Kayle glared at him through confused lenses before the hints finally struck her. Taric’s fashion sense, his style of weapons, his manner of speaking, they all directed massive clues to a single answer. She lowered one of her wings to cover her embarrassed face. “Oh.”

The two of them let the silence fester for a few minutes while Jax thought of something to say and Kayle brought her nerves back about her.

“So why did y--”
“It’s her, isn’t it?”

The angel twisted her head around, finding the Armsmaster still staring up at the night sky, thoughtfully.

“Oh, don’t try and fool me, you may have more years behind you, but I have more years at this institution. I’ve seen the heroes come and go, and I can tell, even though you hide behind that helmet, that you’re thinking about your sister.”

The Judicator twisted back, her brow furrowed. “That is none of your concern, ogre.”

Jax simply shrugged. “Fair enough, but let me tell you something I’ve seen. I know you have a thing against Morgana, and I can see it in your eyes that you want her dead more than anything. But believe me when I say that every time I see you fight against her, I always notice that you have a…I’m not sure how to describe it…aura?…about you. It’s you, and only when you fight her.”

Kayle didn’t even look at him, her mind swirling with thoughts.

He continued. “There’s only one other being I’ve ever seen with that same sort of aura, and that’s Nasus. Funny thing is, I’ve only ever seen…no, felt it when he’s fighting Renekton. It’s only when I saw the four of you fighting against each other that I realized what it was.”

A stagnant pause presided as Jax stared at Kayle. She didn’t even need to look at him to know what he was going to say, and he knew that.

“You’re not really angry at her. When you’re fighting, you don’t see Morgana, the fallen angel fighting against you. You see your mistakes, your flaws, your failures, and that’s what your fighting against. Your greatest failure of all.”

She knew he was right, but even after her observation, she couldn’t accept it. She knew consciously, without a single doubt in her mind, that there was no possible way in which her sister would ever join her side again. But her blade, that which housed the will of her soul, could not stand against that one, single truth. It was the last remembrance of a time long-past. Her sister gazed upon the might of the blade in awe, and dedicated eternity to learning the magic to counter it, in her fit of pride. But her jealousy tore at her, raging her down into the darkest of arts, to the point where her eldest sister struck her down, only to revive her and let her wounds rot. Her eyes wanted nothing more than to tear Morgana to pieces.

But her blade could not let her go.

What seemed like hours of a pregnant silence bore on, until Jax finally decided it was time to depart. Just as he picked up his trusty lamppost and was at the door, the angel spun and stopped him in his tracks.

“Wait, Jax…please, tell me something.” He turned his head slightly, so as to look ast her from one of his man eyes. She fiddled with her hands for a moment before asking her question. “You…how do you do it? Why do you do it? Keep fighting? You’ve never spoken about your observation, and many of the other champions have deduced that you have no reason. So please, tell me, at least…why do you still keep fighting?”

He slowly revolved around, his seven eyes driving deep into her azure orbs.

“…I gave up fighting for a cause a long time ago. I’ve seen to much to know no cause is justified enough to kill someone else. It was then that I decided that if I couldn’t figure out what to fight for, then that’ll just be determined by who I fight for.”

He spun around and walked back inside.

WexAndywn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-02-2012

I love it. Never thought these two would have much in common, honestly. Also, nice work with the Taric reference.

Ciriaksks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-02-2012

Good i love it

Nogarde

01-02-2012

That, was one of the best fan fics Ive read for LoL in quite some time. I hope that you continue with this and make somewhat of a story with it! keep up the good work.

Cpt Shiba

01-03-2012

^what he said

nyarlaBROtep

01-03-2012

I wonder if the same aura would be present if Katarina and Cassiopia fought.

Keep up the good work.

Aracnii

01-04-2012

****... why can't I write like that? Anyway, it was a really good story. Really loved it!

Psychromaniac

01-06-2012

One of the things I noticed in most of the literature I write is the concentration on a character's eyes in compliance with how they are defined. This is alright in most romantic or heroic novels and settings, since the atmosphere complies with the symbol. However, this being a world wrought by war, I felt that it was not quite the thing I needed to make this story work.

Hence, the symbolism of the weapons. In japanese folklore, it was often credited as the weapon being little more than an extension of the weilder, and I thought this was a neat enough idea to incorporate. I'm sure the readers can relate and understand how a character's weapon defines who they are. Kayle uses a massive, golden sword, idealistic of her backstory, and makes her suited to being a good subject for her conflicting emotions.

With this in mind, I chose Jax as the mentor-type figure in this story. Master Yi might have worked, as well, but there's the conflicting point that he only lets students come to him, which somewhat got in the way. Plus, Yi's weapon choice is very static, meaning that he can relate to Kayle on a level, but it wouldn't progress much farther than that. Jax, I personally saw, was fit as a teacher of sorts, not only due to his mastery of any weapon, but because of his willingness to step down and put himself on an even level with his competetors. I thought this was neat, since it showed that Jax was humble enough to let others know that they could, in fact, beat him, given the time and patience into their weapons.