How to create better gameplay, better quality players, and torture trolls.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DoubleSin

01-01-2012

My objective for this post is to create a fun filter that will help segregate a pool of "normal" level 30s from a more experienced and skilled pool of 30s. Doing this provides three benefits.

1. By creating two separate pools, one intended to be higher experience profile level 30 summoners and one intended to be the current universal level 30 arenas, we will finally have a pool of players designed to be proven competitive higher quality players.
2. Adding more filters will help finely tune the current matching-making system which in turn will improve the overall entertainment value of the game.
3. This system is primarily designed off of existing systems in the game and would most likely be less complicated to implement than any other effective solution.

Why is this not the same thing as ELO?
1. ELO is basically a number that identifies how many games you were able to win in a row compared to your losses. My proposed system is not a function of wins or losses chained together. Mine is focused more around the number of total games played and forces players to commit to a high goal. This is a great incentive to play better, troll less, and focus on self improvement within the game as opposed to putting others down.
2. As it stands, once you reach level 30 the incentive for winning and the disincentive for losing is not very high unless you are very competitive (and even then many give up caring feeling the deck is stacked against them). This means people are pretty indifferent about the outcome after they reach a certain point in the game. Ranked games focused around ELO have caused much havoc on the forums, but rather than dismantling/rebuilding ELO this is a great way to keep the current system and synergize with it.

So what's the idea?
1. Build a map very similar to Summoner's Rift, maybe do some aesthetic texture changes to give it a different feel. Charge some very steep price for it, say 50,000 IP (NO RP PRICE, but the IP figure may need some tweaking for a sweet spot). It can even be the identical map if you don't want to deal with working on it, it really doesn't matter in the end.
2.Also build in some prerequisites such as: Must be level 30, a minimum number of champs owned including say maybe 3 champs classified at the 6300 IP level, and a minimum of maybe 500 total games played without issue (meaning no reports, regardless of whether they are true reports or not).
3. MOST IMPORTANT: Allow players to be banned from this map without refund for longer periods of time than normal or require repayment of IP to reenter after being banned as a result of a tribunal conviction. Maybe even create a scaling IP increase fee for each ban, making the buy-in even higher. So say after the first ban the price to reenter the map costs 60,000 IP instead, and maybe also include a 100 games played without issue requirement as well.

Why is this a good idea?
1. This has created an arena that is attainable by anyone which requires a more proven track record to be eligible. This will make it difficult enough to attain that trolls will have much harder time grinding to it. It will create a higher quality pool of players and creates an incentive to be part of that pool of players.
2. Most importantly it places a firm in game statement of how players are expected to behave and generates a valuable and desirable reward for being a model player while finally allowing a way to separate those who are not.
3. SIMPLE to implement, as it is just another map mode that has an on/off switch for who is allowed in. Call it the "Veteran Summoner's Rift" or "The Sinful Soul's Paradise" and make it identical to the old Summoner's Rift for all I care.
4. Instant gratification and meaningful punishment. A player that gets banned creates a new account and two weeks later they are trolling my ranked games all over again. That can't happen with this idea.
5. Can also have both normal and ranked matches in here exclusive to this pool of candidates.
6. Truly creates an environment that is conducive to self improvement in this game without requiring high ELO. You improve your likelihood of playing with other model players and reduce the probability of time wasted in games that are negative experiences.

I realize this won't 100% eradicate trolls from the game, but this will at least create a major incentive to play better and cooperatively.

I also believe that the report feature doesn't have to be all negative. I think players should also be able to be reported for good things, like "Reported for being a positive influence" or "Reported for being a team player" and "Reported for being highly skilled." Kind of like a rating system designed by your teammates. This way the reporting system can also be used for good instead of just the bad. This might be something down the road but just thought I would throw that out there too.

DOAisBetter

01-01-2012

Didn't read it all but I saw the pay to play a special map. All I have to say is that is an amazing idea at least for Solo/Duo Queue. Would really help weed out those who just hit lvl 30 and are like "now time to rank with my one or two champs that I know with only runes for one of them." However I doubt it will happen.

Huntedstorm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2012

50,000 IP is quite alot, maybe a price reduction the idea is swell but I'd enjoy spending my IP on more meaningfull purposes, Runes mostly.

Loctorak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2012

I need that buttload of IP for runes and you want to force me to spend it on the right to play with people like me that don't rage quit? Sad times, man.

Riot should just bite the bullet and hire a few high elo players to do the tribunal. It needs consistency and knowledgable judges. Also people need to actually _bother_ to report. How often do you see cases you chose to punish where the only one that bothered to report was the guy getting abused?

DoubleSin

01-02-2012

In response to the IP for runes, I agree that this is an important need for IP. However I also don't want to be playing with people who do not have runepages and just spent all their IP on champions. My intention would be to have the high IP price designed for people who have already invested the IP for runepages. Maybe even make at least 1 full runepage a requirement for entry to the map. Maybe the price for the map can be adjusted to something more ideal than 50,000 IP but the idea is to have some high bar that must be achieved.

Really I want to separate those who are still learning how to be 30s and getting the basics (IE building runepages, getting their champion base, learning what a ward is for, etc.) from those who have been 30 for a long time and can prove they have gone through all the trials expected. This is different than measuring skill, this is a measurement of experience. I don't care whether you lost every game or won every game, but as long as you have played a significant number of games without issue and have accomplished all the basic tasks, this is a goal that is achievable by everyone and provides a reward desirable by any model player.

Sizmic

01-02-2012

This is an interesting idea. Too be honest I like having a veterans arena to separate out those who just want to troll. I'm not sure if the cost would be so high because once you fill up your rune pages, I have four, you have to get champs to be able to fill multipul roles in the ranked game.

That said, perhaps instead of buying your way into the map with IP you instead got invited once you reach X requirements. Many you have listed above.

I.E.

Summoner you have completed 2 rune pages own 14 champs and have played X games without exceeding X reports. Congratulations you qualify for Sinful's rift

the reason for not exceeding X reports is because trolls well shut down the idea by reporting everyone else so they too can't get in.

Sylvinite

01-02-2012

i like the idea of the invite only to a new level for the players who really want to play competitive games but how would people invite and know that people wont troll and would you need to know someone who had been lucky enough to get an invite. ?

Edit: also i liked when there was a draft for normal mode not just in the ranked. With that in place the trolls could troll in normal games. also could we increase the penalty for trolling in ranked play

Two Chainz Swaga

01-02-2012

You will still get trolls.
Sorry :/

Ailurus fulgens

01-02-2012

50,000 ip = about 400-600 won games wich is a crazy price just to plAy on a map wich would suposedly have better people ... besides just play rank if you want to play your lvl kind of people.

posidenii

Recruiter

01-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulSoul4000 View Post
2.Also build in some prerequisites such as: Must be level 30, a minimum number of champs owned including say maybe 3 champs classified at the 6300 IP level, and a minimum of maybe 500 total games played without issue (meaning no reports, regardless of whether they are true reports or not).
Won't this just encourage trolls to file fake reports? I've seen people lie in team chat just to blur the truth when they get reported.

This will make tribunal even harder to judge.