Dear Comunity, help me out please

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

victorhugo1004

01-01-2012

i am about to buy a new laptop, but i dont really know much about proccessors, like difference about AMD or Intel for games like LoL, sonic generations, team fortress 2, orcs must die!, stuff like that, this are the choices i am about to buy next week

http://www.amazon.com/A53E-EH31-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B005UUSHSM/ref=sr_1_14?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1325466521&sr=1-14

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i15RM-7412DBK-15-Inch-Laptop/dp/B005KP78B4/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1325464793&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/U31SD-AH31-13-3-Inch-Light-Laptop-Black/dp/B005SRZATG/ref=sr_1_21?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1325464794&sr=1-21

i would also know about if its better a dual-core choice over a quad-core, any information you could provide me would be really good, please comunity, thank you in advanced

Grajek

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2012

i can only tell you that amd sucks, ddr 3 and ddr2 isnt a big difference, geforce graphic cards for decent price are worse than radeon, graphic card isnt only thing needed for games, u have to get about 4gb ram

victorhugo1004

01-01-2012

i know that part of the 4gb ram, so if you checked on the links, all those laptops are 4gb ram

Darkendnine

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2012

quad-core is better.
find a computer or laptop with a decent graphics card.
HD 5670 runs lol at 60 fps maxed out.

Dobagoh

01-01-2012

if you have a low budget you buy amd

otherwise you get intel's i-series

Dragoeth

01-01-2012

The difference between AMD and Intel is very slight and rather negligible. They are two competing companies in the same market selling the same product. Its largely up to personal preference of the buyer in terms of what will go into the rest of the build, your history of usage with the companies, and what little things you intend to do with the processors.

Its like comparing a honda civic to a toyota camry.

Just focus primarily on the specs and prices and the benchmarks if you can find them.

Blu3Boy

01-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhugo1004 View Post
i am about to buy a new laptop, but i dont really know much about proccessors, like difference about AMD or Intel for games like LoL, sonic generations, team fortress 2, orcs must die!, stuff like that, this are the choices i am about to buy next week

http://www.amazon.com/A53E-EH31-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B005UUSHSM/ref=sr_1_14?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1325466521&sr=1-14

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i15RM-7412DBK-15-Inch-Laptop/dp/B005KP78B4/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1325464793&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/U31SD-AH31-13-3-Inch-Light-Laptop-Black/dp/B005SRZATG/ref=sr_1_21?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1325464794&sr=1-21

i would also know about if its better a dual-core choice over a quad-core, any information you could provide me would be really good, please comunity, thank you in advanced

You want a serious answer, and I'll give you one. Go with the third one.

The third one only has an i3, but it has the best graphics card. So it evens out - you'll probably be able to run League on max, and you could even run Battlefield 3 on medium.

Dragoeth

01-01-2012

I would agree with blu3boy in saying that the third one is the best option now that I have looked at them all. I was never a big fan of dell inspirons (history of failing cpu fans, faulty keyboard keys out of the box, and very slightly overpriced compared to other companies) so I wouldn't go with that one at all. As far as the third one yeah the card is the best which is huge considering the first one just has built in graphics (total ****). If 13 inch screen is too small for you I would suggest keep looking or have an external monitor handy.

Vorkon

01-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by grajek View Post
i can only tell you that amd sucks, ddr 3 and ddr2 isnt a big difference, geforce graphic cards for decent price are worse than radeon, graphic card isnt only thing needed for games, u have to get about 4gb ram
only a virgin could be this stupid

edenechoes

01-01-2012

I wouldn't buy any of those laptops. They're blatantly overpriced for the specs.

In laptops, the i7-2630 QM is roughly equal to the i5-2500 and the i5-2430M is roughly equal to the i3-2100. Unlike their desktop counterparts, every mobile Sandy Bridge CPU is hyperthreading enabled with the HD 3000 IGP. The first generation CPUs (e.g. Arrandale, which are not marked with a "2" indicator digit before the three characteristic digits) are strictly inferior to second generation Sandy Bridge CPUs.

Most GPUs are weaker than their desktop counterparts. The 520M is a fairly mediocre GPU since it only has 48 CUDA cores. From a design perspective, it's hardly even sensible to include the discrete 520M GPU with the HD 3000 IGP. As reference, the GeForce 525M and 540M (with 96 CUDA cores) are somewhat on par with a desktop nVidia GT 430 or ATI Radeon HD 5570.

In terms of League of Legends performance, the HD 3000 IGP should give you a relatively stable 60 FPS at 1366 x 768 with visual quality on medium and shadows disabled. You may experience meaningful dips (~10-20 FPS) in team fights or intensive lane situations. The 525M can give you a more stable 60 FPS at 1920 x 1080 with visual quality on high and shadows at medium. You should experience negligible dips (~5-10 FPS at most) in team fights or intensive lane situations.

The 525M is actually capable of running League of Legends at 1920 x 1080 with everything at "very high" and shadows at "high." I don't advise this because heat generation significantly increases to uncomfortable levels.

Performance in LoL isn't very dependent on resolution. Frame rate changes are very minimal from 1366 x 768 to 1920 x 1080. Shadows remain the limiting factor and nothing short of a Radeon 6750M or nVidia 550M (comparable to a desktop Radeon HD 6670) will give you shadows on very high.

The "sweet spot" for most laptops is any i5-2XXX CPU with a 1GB nVidia GeForce 525M for about $600 to 700. However, the "bang for your buck" deal is the 15.6" AMD A8 series with the ATI 6620G or the discrete chips (e.g. M vs G suffix) with numbers greater than 6620. For the last month, Best Buy has been selling 15.6" AMD A8s with 6620Gs for about $400 USD. I don't know if they have any left.

The "power for your money deals" are refurbished machines from the Dell Outlet. With the right coupons, you can get quad-core XPS machines or mobile workstations with discrete GPUs and FHD panels for about $800. This can save you anywhere $400 to 600 on a top-end machine which always has at least one year of in-home warranty coverage (IIRC, 3 years in-home is the default on every mobile workstation).

The upgrade to an FHD (1920 x 1080) panel is the absolute best upgrade you can get on a notebook. Unless you absolutely don't have the money, it's always worth paying the $100 or $150 for it. Any "real" notebook in the 15" range should have one.