I'd like to apologize...

12345612 ... 20
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Japanimation

Master Recruiter

01-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSandM View Post
@Japanimation I don't think you understood most of what I wrote, perhaps re-read? Also, I highly encourage you to read the second URL.

Thanks!
I understood it perfectly, I assure you.

SmokingJoeNL

01-01-2012

Quote:
Yes, I generalized. If you are not like the men I described, then I wasn't talking about you. Just because you are not like this doesn't mean there aren't people who are.

Please read the second URL in its entirety.
You don't get it. Because there people like me, what you are doing is wrong. I don't have to look at what you are doing in a different way, because they are people that aren't like me.

You are the using guilty until proven innocent way of looking at things.

Sailor Cosmos

01-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanimation View Post
I understood it perfectly, I assure you.
Ok, I will dissect what I wrote for you in a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingJoeNL View Post
You don't get it. Because there people like me, what you are doing is wrong. I don't have to look at what you are doing in a different way, because they are people that aren't like me.

You are the using guilty until proven innocent way of looking at things.
If a black man is called racial slurs and highly discriminated against in a particular community for a hobby he enjoys, is he not right to try to change the treatment he's received? That is how slavery was abolished. That's how women gained rights. That's how homosexuals gained more rights.

Japanimation

Master Recruiter

01-01-2012

Quote:

There's really no need, but if you feel the need to waste you time - go right ahead.

SmokingJoeNL

01-01-2012

Quote:

If a black man is called racial slurs and highly discriminated against in a particular community for a hobby he enjoys, is he not right to try to change the treatment he's received? That is how slavery was abolished.

Ofcourse he is. If he did it your way, he would start being racist against the community that treated him poorly though.

That's how women gained rights. That's how homosexuals gained more rights.

The people you are talking about gained more rights by standing up for what they believe in. By making others see they are human beings like everyone else.
You are promoting hatred. That is nothing like the examples you wrote.
Do you understand you are spreading negative stereo types and are not helping the cause you are fighting for?

Sailor Cosmos

01-01-2012

Before I begin, yes these are generalizations and I ask you to accept the fact that this information is based on experience and statistics I've researched and continue to experience by just browsing the entire internet, such as: forums, YouTube, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanimation View Post
I just finished reading your post and I have to say that I don't feel the same way. Keep in mind I am a guy, but I have plenty of female friends.

My reasoning is, what you were saying wasn't very.. Joke-ish? It's hard to tell how serious someone is being over the internet. That statement is more of a direct insult to men. Personally, I've never cheated on a girl, but I have been cheated on, several times.
All jokes can be taken many ways. My comments were so ridiculous, that it was comical.

Quote:
Don't you have a road to make? Roads don't make themselves, you know. Hop to.
I consider this the equivalent to kitchen jokes.

I can take an obvious joke, but sometimes it goes too far and I have created similar jokes and they don't always get the same reaction as misogynistic jokes do. Most men can't take jokes against them. I've tried it. Always the same result. Also, many men aren't joking when they say misogynistic things. They cover it up as a joke, but there's usually underlying issues. Just like the man in the article I linked. He used to hate women and spoke of them terribly, but people left comments agreeing with his obviously misogynistic and biased commentary.

Quote:
The people down-voting you and commenting or.. Retaliating probably felt directly insulted, as I would have been if I had seen your thread yesterday. The majority of my friends are female and I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the mall with them and heard them say, "look at how hot that guy is!" Some of them even have boyfriends or had boyfriends at the time.
Yes, I refer to how hot guys are as well. I'm fine with men doing the same, but they often do it everywhere, even on serious YouTube videos where it's inappropriate. Guys are very much into appearance more than women, overall. Women do judge men on appearance, but tend to be more lenient as we get to know you. There are statistics that show overweight men have more *** than overweight women. I think this closely relates. I also remember a boy saying to me when I was younger "no fat chicks."

Men are visual and I've had much experience with men to know they don't give lesser attractive women as much attention as attractive women, unless the man isn't particularly attractive as well.

Quote:
To me, it seems like you're generalizing all men, jokingly or not. In High school, I had a teacher who absolutely loved his daughters. He was constantly talking about them, showing us their Christmas pictures, and this guy was a really great father. So, I can't exactly agree with your statement about custody. While I can see where you're coming from, I do believe it can go one of both ways.
Right. I wasn't saying that I agreed there should be a woman bias. There are videos on YouTube (and a particular one on this forum) of angry men who absolutely hate that there's a bias. I don't think there should be a bias. I think the best suitable parent should get custody. However, it's not fully a bias why women win custody most often. I posted an explanation on it before. If I can find it, I will post it.

Basically, I was pointing out how men give excuses for what society considers "bad" that men tend to do, but don't equally apply the same ideology with the opposing examples I gave. I also don't think women should be encouraged to be gold diggers or think of it as acceptable, however, if a man just wants a woman for her appearance and she just wants him for his wallet, I think that's a fair trade-off.

Quote:
As for the sexist jokes, ie., "women belong in the kitchen" and so forth, none of my friends ever took it seriously. In fact, some of their boyfriends do the cooking and I've heard them exclaim, "why aren't you in the kitchen?" to their boyfriends while being with them. Some people may mean it personally and some people may take it as a direct insult like I take, "all men are cheaters" as a direct insult.
Though kitchen jokes get annoying and are overused, I'm not exactly offended by those. However, if a friend of mine repeatedly uses them, I'm going to ask him to stop. It's not just jokes that's offending. It's the whole mentality against women. There is a mentality against men too, but obviously, it's not on the forum. (And that's a good thing).

Quote:
But, I think it goes both ways. Stereotypes will always exist and people will always retaliate against something that hurts their pride.
True.

Quote:
Also, you probably received down votes because the majority of people on at that moment were males - like you've said.
Also true, proving my point that men can't handle sexism towards them either.

Quote:
All in all, I think both men and women can take jokes and both get offended.
I agree.

outfoxxed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2012

1. Women cheat more than men.
2. Don't type out such a long response if you want someone to read it. cause i sure as hell didn't.

Sailor Cosmos

01-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingJoeNL View Post
Do you understand you are spreading negative stereo types and are not helping the cause you are fighting for?
If you would read the URL I linked, it would shine light on what I'm talking about. There is extreme sexism against women. I'm not asking for men to kiss my feet. I'm just hoping to change the opinion of at least one person who does go to extremes when talking about women. Lots of men don't even realize their sexist behavior until they see the perspective through a woman's explanation of experience.

I know a couple of extremists on this forum in OT. Unfortunately, most of the sexism resides in GD, but I'm sure my thread would have been moved and it still has a possibility of reaching these types of men here.

SmokingJoeNL

01-01-2012

Quote:
If you would read the URL I linked, it would shine light on what I'm talking about. There is extreme sexism against women. I'm not asking for men to kiss my feet. I'm just hoping to change the opinion of at least one person who does go to extremes when talking about women. Lots of men don't even realize their sexist behavior until they see the perspective through a woman's explanation of experience.

I know a couple of extremists on this forum in OT. Unfortunately, most of the sexism resides in GD, but I'm sure my thread would have been moved and it still has a possibility of reaching these types of men here.
Do you at least realise what you are doing? I too can post a link of someone else and say, see that's what I mean or want to be doing. In reality you are doing what you are compaigning against yourself.

How many times have you had to explain your behaviour? A lot. Does that mean nobody gets your how you really mean it, or you are not doing what you think you are?

How effective do you think the way you are going about it can be?

Changing peoples bad behaviour by setting an example of bad behaviour. Good luck with that.

Japanimation

Master Recruiter

01-01-2012

I don't see why you had to go in-depth. I already understood what you were saying and you more or less just agreed with what I was saying. I already said I understand where you're coming from.

While I agree that women are more subjective to insults and jokes. I still believe both parties are at fault. I've seen my share of both disgraceful women and men, but do I hold their gender accountable? No, not really. I never really thought about it, but I don't think I do. In fact, I think I'm more disgusted with men than I am women.

But not everyone is the same and people should not be generalized by their gender. That article you linked? I couldn't read past the third section. It was so unbelievably biased I just ended up skipping to the conclusion. While I do see some truth behind what he was saying and some of the incidents that occurred, I believe those men as individuals were at fault and not men as a generalization.

Edit#1: And as a person or a "man," I prefer manual labor, so I wouldn't have an issue with your joke.

12345612 ... 20