I'd like to apologize...

1234511 ... 20
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sailor Cosmos

01-01-2012

OT for my obviously sexist thread and sexist comments towards men that was obviously not serious, the other day. It was an experiment more or less with a twinge of slightly comical intentional hypocrisy:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1660486

I knew exactly what responses I would receive. As my comments continued on, I think the humor became a little more blatant, but that did not stop biased commenters and downvotes. However, unsurprisingly, the misogynistic jokes received upvotes. I am aware the majority of the gaming community is men, so of course misandrist comments (funny or not) get downvotes. Sadly, in retaliation to my comments, men felt defensive and posted equally offensive remarks, but received little to no downvotes (which were probably mostly from me).

I don't think most men can take sexist retaliation jokes. They're not accustomed to them, but they expect women to take them and laugh at our own degradation and demoralizing stereotypical categories ALL of us are placed in whether they're accurate or not (wh*re, feminazi, hot, ugly). When we don't accept the jokes, we're labeled as radical feminists with no sense of humor. That's like calling a black person n****r and after he asks you to stop, you tell him he doesn't have a sense of humor. The reality is, most men honestly don't respect women. Also, the history of male dominance and the lack of women's rights also makes it just that much more painful to bear. I was not around when women didn't have rights we do today, but to see extremely old ideology and offensive remarks used in jest and in seriousness in 2012, is just pathetic.

Therefore, I present you with a fantastic read. I agree with about 90% of what's written, and the message couldn't be more clear.

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/22786_To_My_Someday_Daughter.html

------------

I'd also like to bring up some interesting thoughts I had and perhaps receive feedback:

Straight men love beautiful women, they love staring at beautiful women, and sometimes it's hard for some of them to not cheat and is sometimes the reason they do cheat. Their defense is that they are biologically made to "hunt" for women and are still accustomed, in a sense, to polygamy. This is understandable, but doesn't make it okay (think extreme cases). However, if your past biology is an applicable excuse to condone blatantly checking out another woman in front of your girlfriend and/or cheating or flirting with other women, then the same ideology should be applicable in biological female examples too: gold diggers and child custody.

If we are speaking in biology terms, women should be allowed, without offense, to be gold diggers because we naturally relied on a man's protection, shelter, income, etc.

Secondly, women are biologically the nurturers and caretakers of children. Henceforth, a mother-bias should be understandable in custody cases because mothers give birth, breastfeed, and are typically "soft" and loving, which all have a huge impact on a child's upbringing.

Will men stop hating gold diggers and mother-bias in courts? It's not likely. But will they give up their biological defense for cheating/checking out other women? Also not likely.

I'm sure you're thinking "why are you sharing this sh*t with me?" Because I wanted to and I feel passionately about this issue, as it is one of the top issues currently in the community I want to be apart of. I'm open to civil discussion with any of the issues I addressed.

DeutschMaster

01-01-2012

No offense, but tl;dr.

Zeboym

01-01-2012

Read the whole thing except for the URL. Will read that later.
I knew your other thread was completely troll so I honestly didn't even read the first post when you started it.. Just avoided the whole thing entirely.

+1.

Sailor Cosmos

01-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeboym View Post
Read the whole thing except for the URL. Will read that later.
I knew your other thread was completely troll so I honestly didn't even read the first post when you started it.. Just avoided the whole thing entirely.

+1.
Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to read my long post. :>)

Zeboym

01-01-2012

What is the community you're talking about joining?

Sailor Cosmos

01-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeboym View Post
What is the community you're talking about joining?
The gaming community, specifically. The sexism is extreme and there are hundreds of posts that pop up daily on hundreds of forums, in games, on YouTube, etc. But it is also in real life.

Japanimation

Master Recruiter

01-01-2012

I just finished reading your post and I have to say that I don't feel the same way. Keep in mind I am a guy, but I have plenty of female friends.

My reasoning is, what you were saying wasn't very.. Joke-ish? It's hard to tell how serious someone is being over the internet. That statement is more of a direct insult to men. Personally, I've never cheated on a girl, but I have been cheated on, several times.

The people down-voting you and commenting or.. Retaliating probably felt directly insulted, as I would have been if I had seen your thread yesterday. The majority of my friends are female and I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the mall with them and heard them say, "look at how hot that guy is!" Some of them even have boyfriends or had boyfriends at the time.

To me, it seems like you're generalizing all men, jokingly or not. In High school, I had a teacher who absolutely loved his daughters. He was constantly talking about them, showing us their Christmas pictures, and this guy was a really great father. So, I can't exactly agree with your statement about custody. While I can see where you're coming from, I do believe it can go one of both ways.

As for the sexist jokes, ie., "women belong in the kitchen" and so forth, none of my friends ever took it seriously. In fact, some of their boyfriends do the cooking and I've heard them exclaim, "why aren't you in the kitchen?" to their boyfriends while being with them. Some people may mean it personally and some people may take it as a direct insult like I take, "all men are cheaters" as a direct insult.

But, I think it goes both ways. Stereotypes will always exist and people will always retaliate against something that hurts their pride.

Also, you probably received down votes because the majority of people on at that moment were males - like you've said.

All in all, I think both men and women can take jokes and both get offended.

SmokingJoeNL

01-01-2012

Until you stop generalising and start treating people like individuals, I don't think you are ready for this world of equality you seem to be yearning for.

Sailor Cosmos

01-01-2012

@Japanimation I don't think you understood most of what I wrote, perhaps re-read? Also, I highly encourage you to read the second URL.

Thanks!

Sailor Cosmos

01-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingJoeNL View Post
Until you stop generalising and start treating people like individuals, I don't think you are ready for this world of equality you seem to be yearning for.
Yes, I generalized. If you are not like the men I described, then I wasn't talking about you. Just because you are not like this doesn't mean there aren't people who are.

Please read the second URL in its entirety.

1234511 ... 20