[Guide] Katarina

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redrach

10-09-2009

KI is pretty useful. And now its CD goes down with points. I wouldn't max it last on a Katarina.
Plus a few more bounces on BB is negligible damage-wise on AP Kat. More dodge castable more often is not.

And saying "3 seconds" is too low doesn't work either, a good Katarina will only engage an enemy for extremely short durations, preferring to kill enemies quickly instead of engaging in long battles.
Plus 3 seconds of high dodge allows you to safely pull off your ultimate.

dreamenddischarger

10-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmecssRaege View Post
oh right i forgot.... LoL is all about 1v1 combat.

You said right in your post that in group fights you will get focus fired, if you are getting focused by melee heroes, 80% dodge will be a huge boost to your lifetime
Melee heroes are not an issue in this game. The dominating factors in games are magic damage and tanks. If you're playing an all physical team you should have already won by the time you get to a situation that you'll need 80% dodge for 3 seconds.

Physical damage is vastly inferior to magical.

Again I reiterate, if you need the survivability of 3 seconds of 80% dodge in any situation you are playing Katarina incorrectly.

Get it through your head.

SmecssRaege

10-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrach View Post
KI is pretty useful. And now its CD goes down with points. I wouldn't max it last on a Katarina.
Plus a few more bounces on BB is negligible damage-wise on AP Kat. More dodge castable more often is not.

And saying "3 seconds" is too low doesn't work either, a good Katarina will only engage an enemy for extremely short durations, preferring to kill enemies quickly instead of engaging in long battles.
Plus 3 seconds of high dodge allows you to safely pull off your ultimate.

Negligible damage yes.

But a 6 target rylai's slow with bouncing blade...is definately NOT negligible =-3

i've set up a TON of kills with bouncing blade > shunpo > death lotus, because by the time the lotus knives come out, they are still slowed from bouncing blade

works wonders really.

And like i said, dream, i also get KI last....but for different reasons, i think it's good (not to mention, if you dont want to blow it on dodge... then blow it on BB and make them heal for less if they have a taric/janna/heal users/soraka/sion or w/e else... but for that you only need 1 level =P

Schn

10-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamenddischarger View Post
Again I reiterate, if you need the survivability of 3 seconds of 80% dodge in any situation you are playing Katarina incorrectly.

Get it through your head.
The opportunity cost is only 3X~0.5*atk dmg bounces you can't even control.

Zyren

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamenddischarger View Post
3 seconds of dodge isn't worth picking up a skill.

You don't need cooldown reduction, if you do that means you aren't getting kills. If you aren't getting kills, you aren't playing Kat right.

I play Katarina to get over 20 kills over the course of a game, and every time I play with my teams, I do. I'm not there to be tanky, I'm not there to support, I'm there to carry. Killer Instincts is not a carry ability.

So you can kill people in under 3 seconds before level 6? I'm impressed. Seriously, don't overvalue such a terrible ability as Killer Instincts. It's entirely unneeded.

Way to be such a ******. BB is near worthless after rank 1 for harass as AP Katarina, why do you think it's better than KI exactly? It's not about killing in those 3 seconds, it's about having 3 seconds of increased survivability, which can decide the outcome of many scenarios. I've ended up going 3v1 and winning because I used KI -> Shunpo on the caster, kill off the magic dealers, and meanwhile the physical weren't able to even touch me.

20 kills is EASY for Katarina to get, with almost as many assists. I love playing her, she is amazing and it doesn't hurt me to go kill Golem fast while the enemy team is respawning after we just slaughtered them all etc.

Play her as you want, and I hope more Katarinas play like you. More for me to kill.

Still a decent guide, but apparently the author is a tool.

Shillen

10-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyren View Post
Still a decent guide, but apparently the author is a tool.
Gotta agree. I'm having a hard time believing he's even played katarina much if he doesn't think the 3 seconds of increased dodge is valuable. My first maybe 10 times playing her I did my skills the same way as him with BB before KI. It was actually people posting on these forums that got me to try out doing it the other way in game and once I tried it out it was vastly superior.

dreamenddischarger

10-10-2009

Quote:

Play her as you want, and I hope more Katarinas play like you. More for me to kill.
cool story bro

Zyren

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2009

You act like that's unusual for Katarina. Meanwhile, instead of explaining why you for some reason think Bouncing Blades is better to max out first over Killer Instincts, you have only kept saying "if you need it, you aren't playing it right." That's not an argument, and you still haven't supported the reasoning behind getting BB after rank 1 over KI.

Have fun.

dreamenddischarger

10-10-2009

Quote:
You act like that's unusual for Katarina. Meanwhile, instead of explaining why you for some reason think Bouncing Blades is better to max out first over Killer Instincts, you have only kept saying "if you need it, you aren't playing it right." That's not an argument, and you still haven't supported the reasoning behind getting BB after rank 1 over KI.

Have fun.
reasoning?

It slows their whole team in a fight, more damage, and better farming capabilities.

She doesn't need the survivability of 3 seconds of dodge.

dreamenddischarger

10-10-2009

here is a lovely screenshot of going against a premade. I died once at level 3 because they used fortify on a turret when I killed a champ within range.

You don't need killer instincts to roll faces.