[Guide] Katarina

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dreamenddischarger

10-09-2009

Many of you have seen the guide I posted for Evelynn. I feel that Katarina is very similar to Evelynn, but without all the nasty downsides. This guide outlines how to gear a Ganker/Chaser/Semi-Carry Katarina. You must first understand that Kat is squishy,s he has no armor, and will have only moderate health. Champions like Warwick and Jax are going to eat you alive.

I'm going to assume you queued solo.
Summoner Skills:
Teleport
Ignite

Masteries:
2/3 Deadliness, 3/3 Archmage's Savvy.
1/1 Improved Ignite
4/4 Sorcery
1/1 Archaic Knowledge, 3/3 Sunder.
3/3 Brute Force
3/3 Lethality
1/1 Havoc
1/3 Good Hands, 3/3 Perseverance
4/4 Awareness
1/1 Greed

Rune for Force only.

Build:
Shunpo
Bouncing Blade
Shunpo
Bouncing Blade
Shunpo
Death Lotus
Shunpo
Bouncing Blade
Shunpo
Bouncing Blade
Death Lotus
Bouncing Blade
Killer Instincts
Killer Instincts
Killer Instincts
Death Lotus
Killer Instincts
Killer Instincts

Harass and last hit with Bouncing Blade on cooldown. Last hit and initiate fights with Shunpo. Practice strong map awareness to know when and who to gank. Do you best to last hit heroes with Shunpo if at all possible. Try to get the golem buff, the -cooldown is nice.

How to use Death Lotus: Wait until someone else on your team engages in teamfights, and shunpo in and activate lotus. If solo, Shunpo then Lotus until the target is almost out of range of Shunpo and chase to Shunpo and Bouncing Blade.

PURE DAMAGE
Item Build:
Starting:
Boots of Speed
3 Health Potions

Boots of Speed -> Sorcerer's Shoes
Rylai's Scepter
Mejai's Soul Stealer
Lichbane
Abyssal Scepter
Zhonya's Ring

TANKIER DAMAGE:
Item Build:
Starting:
Boots of Speed
3 Health Potions

Boots of Speed -> Sorcerer's Shoes
Rylai's Scepter
Mejal's Soul Stealer
Lichbane
Warmog's Armor
Guardian Angel

TANK:
Starting:
Boots of Speed
3 Health Potions

Boots of Speed -> Ninja's Tabi
Rylai's Scepter
Rod of Ages
Abyssal Scepter
Warmog's Armor
Guardian Angel

Early Game: Keep pressure on the opposing team in your lane. Try to constantly harass them and keep their health below 50%. Last hit when possible, you're good at it. Don't tower dive, it's not worth it. Trust me.

Mid Game: GANK GANK GANK. I can't stress this enough. You get your gold via kills and assists, and all your abilities are centered around this. You are a killing machine. Never entire a fight with less than 80% health. heal up if you have to. You can solo most heroes in a 1v1 situation. Don't be afraid to 1v2 either, your ult will tear through enemies if you're fed well enough.

Late Game: By the time you've got a few charges on your Soul Stealer, your ultimate should be packing a punch. Expect to be focused in team battles. It happens. You can escape the focus fairly easily with Shunpo, and will throw the other team into confusion. Play mind games.

Champions to be wary of:

**** MORGANA IN THE MOUTH
Jax
A fed Yi
Warwick
A fed Ashe
A fed Twitch

Best Laning partners:
Rammus
Kayle
Morgana
Janna
Sion

Corona Nox

10-09-2009

Quote:
**** MORGANA IN THE MOUTH
This

Coleman

10-09-2009

All I have to say is this is really interesting. If you are confident in your ability to farm this isn't a terrible build. I still prefer flash as a spell for Kat just for the shock value. I like to get the AP gold item, something pick, can't remember the name right now, because I focus too much on harrassment so it makes up for the farming I miss.

I'm interested in testing this, but I'm not sure how I'll handle not having a cooldown reduction setup. This seems to be a better build technically then I use, but since I'm aggressive loose I'd probably perform worse under it.

Zyren

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2009

I think you disregard the value of Killer Instincts. I usually get one rank of Bouncing Blades early for some extra harassment, but then max it out last. Using Killer Instincts before you Shunpo is invaluable versus physical damage dealers. It gives you a crazy amount of dodge.

I still personally prefer Flash, sometimes there aren't any allies left to shunpo to, or it can be handy to flash after someone to close the distance for another Shunpo.

For the items section I agree for the most part, I personally like to grab a defensive item or 2 depending on the other team's comp. I also prefer a regrowth pendant at the start.

BTW, Morganna as a lane partner is FREAKING AMAZING, so I definitely agree she's one of the best, because last night I dual-laned with a Morganna and we both had like 10+ kills and 0 deaths by the time they surrendered. (It wasn't a 4v5 or anything, our team was just tearing them apart)

For runes, I like CD reduction, just because with a full page of CD runes + Utility Tree CD reduction + Golem results in about a 20sec CD on your Ultimate.

Good guide, going to give these differences a shot.

Shillen

10-09-2009

I'm with Zyren. Take 1 rank of bouncing blades at level 1 then get the rest at the end. The dodge from killer instinct is invaluable. It not only makes you dodge champion attacks but if you attack an enemy near a bunch of his minions it will save you a ton of hp in that situation as well.

dreamenddischarger

10-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyren View Post
Shunpo is invaluable versus physical damage dealers. It gives you a crazy amount of dodge.

For runes, I like CD reduction, just because with a full page of CD runes + Utility Tree CD reduction + Golem results in about a 20sec CD on your Ultimate.
3 seconds of dodge isn't worth picking up a skill.

You don't need cooldown reduction, if you do that means you aren't getting kills. If you aren't getting kills, you aren't playing Kat right.

I play Katarina to get over 20 kills over the course of a game, and every time I play with my teams, I do. I'm not there to be tanky, I'm not there to support, I'm there to carry. Killer Instincts is not a carry ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillen View Post
I'm with Zyren. Take 1 rank of bouncing blades at level 1 then get the rest at the end. The dodge from killer instinct is invaluable. It not only makes you dodge champion attacks but if you attack an enemy near a bunch of his minions it will save you a ton of hp in that situation as well.
So you can kill people in under 3 seconds before level 6? I'm impressed. Seriously, don't overvalue such a terrible ability as Killer Instincts. It's entirely unneeded.

SmecssRaege

10-09-2009

And bouncing blade is a carry skill? it's only like the weakest skill in the game >_O ESPECIALLY when you build AP and you are looking at 140ish damage on the first target.

Personally i love killer instinct....BUT I NEVER REMEMBER TO USE IT!! .. so i usually just max bouncing blade (and i also love throwing a rylai's sceptered blade into a group of 3-4 people)

I think the aoe slow of the blade is instrumental to katarina's success as outside of your ulti (which takes 1 second or so before it actually starts to throw daggers) you have no aoe slow.

Bouncing blade + rylais = 1.5 second slow

1.5 second = time to shunpo in + start the spin and by the time they get unslowed, ur ulti is already re-applying the slows.

Killer instinct is still damn good though, i dont know if you've noticed, but 3 seconds of 80% dodge vs a carry hero can mean life and death IN THAT THREE SECONDS if you don't have it on. And yes you are not aiming to be a tnak....but why would you intentionally want to make yourself squishier when you have an ability that helps you to negate incoming damage.

edit: and darn you for writing a Kat guide before i did, now i have slightly less of an incilnation to want to write one up as now there's another one on the market xD although i probably still will as i absolutely love katarina and can probably greatly expand on this one =p

dreamenddischarger

10-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmecssRaege View Post
Killer instinct is still damn good though, i dont know if you've noticed, but 3 seconds of 80% dodge vs a carry hero can mean life and death IN THAT THREE SECONDS if you don't have it on.
If you are in a situation where 3 seconds is life or death in 1v1, you're playing Katarina wrong. Good players don't get into those situations.

SmecssRaege

10-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamenddischarger View Post
If you are in a situation where 3 seconds is life or death in 1v1, you're playing Katarina wrong. Good players don't get into those situations.

oh right i forgot.... LoL is all about 1v1 combat.

You said right in your post that in group fights you will get focus fired, if you are getting focused by melee heros, 80% dodge will be a huge boost to your lifetime

Revely

10-09-2009

I've been having a lot of luck using this build, but getting Shunpo -> bouncing blades -> Killer Instincts and then level up shunpo and killer instincts, with preference to shunpo and grabbing your ult when you can of course. I'll try following this skill build and see how it does =o

Thanks for the guide, Kat owns!

12345 ... 6