so im about to get a laptop with an i5 processor

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TofuCoccaine

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by I BE MATT View Post
im just worried that i might spend 500-600 on this laptop and it wont be able to run the games i want to play
I spent 550 dollars on a Toshiba Satellite with an i5 processor and the graphics card is integrated.

League played perfectly fine until I started realizing whenever I got into a team fight the fps would drop a bit from 60 and it would be hard to know what was going on until I changed all the settings to low and it played perfectly fine. If you can deal low settings then go ahead.

I also played crossfire a little and battlefield heroes, nothing would ever go wrong there.

PwnMart

12-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkened Vision View Post
@ I Be Matt

As a Best Buy employee myself, you should firstly ask the people in the computer department this question. Other way to do it is to go to the device manager on the display model (go through the control panel) and then click the drop down for display adapters. If it says something about "intel chipset" (i forget the exact words offhand) then it doesn't have a graphics card. If it says something about ATI or NVIDIA then you do have a graphics card.

If your best buy has the same display models as my store does, I'd recommend looking at Asus, Samsung, Toshiba, or HP (I hesitate with HP normally but lately they've been having lower priced laptops with graphics cards in them, and their quality has gone up in recent years). All the brands are an option but these in my opinion give you the best specs for your money (except maybe samsung, some of their computers can be overpriced... again, ask an employee)

Hope this helps

Edit: you should be able to get a laptop that runs LoL on max settings no prob if you're looking in the i5 range.... That's actually what I play it on. I have an Asus, incase you were curious as to what I prefer.
Well said, just don't expect to run it on max settings unless it's around a 540/6600+

Micrathene

12-31-2011

League of legends you will be able to run fine, however new games such as Battliefield 3 or Skyrim, you may have some difficulty playing even on low quality.

Also, if your buying from best buy or staples, If their is a graphics card in the computer worth mentioning, they will mention it. If not, they don't put it in the description.

I just bought my computer a month ago on black friday from a custom gaming website, I was looking at computers from dell and HP, but I could not find any computers worth gaming alot on, (other then alienware - which is extremely expensive and not worth paying for the *cool features* or the brand itself).

If your using your computer for mainly other stuff, it should be fine, but if you want to buy an actual gaming computer you should research some websites that make custom computers, you can find them very cheap.

I BE MATT

12-31-2011

i usually run LoL at low settings so i guess i hopefully wont have any problems

the only games i play are CS:S, runescape, LoL, and terraria on my laptop

Ennbeard

12-31-2011

If I DO play on my laptop, yeah. i3, integrated graphics. Runs LoL on ~ Medium settings (I turn shadows and environment to lowest for personal reasons, leave effects and character models on medium or high).

I can also run SCII, Minecraft, terraria, Any old blizzard game, Morrowind, etc on the thing.

Hello Darkness

12-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinep View Post
Ahhhhh!!!

TERRIBLE idea. Most big chain stores that sell laptops don't hire employees who are knowledgeable about the products they're selling. Nothing against retail associates, but I wouldn't expect them to know the answer to that. They're trained to get you to buy something, and that's it. So yeah, they'll tell you it'll run whatever.
I take offense to that!

Well, seriously, at least at the Best Buy I work at, I would trust what we say... all departments of Best Buy have required training that relates to their section. Also, since computers is the highest profit area of any Best Buy, the store managers are usually smart enough to know that they HAVE to have knowledgeable people in that section, or the store is likely to fail.

Pretty much just ask the employee if they normally work that section to be sure... I wouldn't trust the mp3 guys to sell me a computer, and employees occasionally have to run to other sections to get a customer something.

Your comment might relate to Staples or Walmart more, they're less focused on their computer departments than Best Buy is.

Sinep

12-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkened Vision View Post
I take offense to that!

Well, seriously, at least at the Best Buy I work at, I would trust what we say... all departments of Best Buy have required training that relates to their section. Also, since computers is the highest profit area of any Best Buy, the store managers are usually smart enough to know that they HAVE to have knowledgeable people in that section, or the store is likely to fail.

Pretty much just ask the employee if they normally work that section to be sure... I wouldn't trust the mp3 guys to sell me a computer, and employees occasionally have to run to other sections to get a customer something.

Your comment might relate to Staples or Walmart more, they're less focused on their computer departments than Best Buy is.
Your Best Buy is way off from any I've ever been to. Been building PCs for ~15 years now, and I've *never* received a reasonable answer out of any Best Buy employee. Yes, I ask the guys in the computer section.

Generally what I hear is somebody saying "My computer is really slowing down when I open my email, do you have anything that will fix it?" answered by "Well it sounds like you need a new computer."

Reithena

12-31-2011

I switched from a AMD run laptop to a Intel laptop...

I regret it nearly everyday

bRian the cutie

12-31-2011

yes integrated gcard is fine for LoL, i use my ****ty old dell xps i3 with integrated graphics when i go on trips and play LoL just fine with 40-50 fps.

bRian the cutie

12-31-2011

forgot to add run everything on low settings/no shadows though lol