Tell me about Yorick

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cyxe

01-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentlyCar View Post
Yorick strikes me as a completely mindless, autopilot character with absolutely no gameplay to him, who he gets to be extremely strong at the same time. However, people tell me that it does take a skill to play him, and that he can be beaten. While I agree that Yorick can be beaten with the right coordination and composition, I haven't seen a shred of evidence that there's any skill to him other than understanding the basic concepts of Dominion in general.

So... tell me about Yorick. Tell me what he has to work for, what he's weak to, and what skills you need to play a good one.
Dear OP,
To get back on topic and answer some of your questions, Yorick takes no skill whatsoever. Spam 3 spells and right-click an enemy champion and win or lose. Ult yourself for some extra damage when you're going in for the kill and if you die, finish them off at full health when you're resurrected. As for skill, it's mostly in how you build him. Defensive runes combined with offensive masteries and a mixture of items like TriForce, Force of Nature, and Sunfire cape can be devastating. Against a ranged carry I'd roll a Thornmail and Odin's Veil against a ranged AP. As with all Dom games, if your teammates aren't worth their own weight in gold, you can expect to get ganked often.

larkhill

01-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
So why exactly is Yorick a braindead champion that takes no skill to play? I mean, by that standard cant you say the same thing about most champions in LoL?

OMG Yorick just casts W,E on me over and over. Then occasionally exhausts, Q, and beats someone down.

Ok, well... Maokai just tosses sapling after sapling, then occasionally roots, nuke combo.

Vayne just tumbles around dinking the players then knocks them back if they get close. Yawn.

Soroka mindlessly spams Silence and Starfall. zzzz....

Heimer drops turrets and spams Rocket...occasionally tosses a grenade. wow.

Cass spams poison blast and pushes the creeps forward. If she hits an enemy, she furiously mashes Serpent Tooth.

And so forth... I mean, who is so freaking complicated and great in LoL that requires all this amazing genius skill to play?

why? because yorick's ghouls move by themselves.

maokai has to aim his saplings and his Q. and he has to know where to ult. yorick casts his minions on any target and they automatically run to the opponent.

vayne needs to aim her bolt so it stuns the enemy into a wall. have to have good positioning for that

soraka needs to have perfect timing and know who to stun. yorick's slow auto-follows

heimer needs to aim his grenade and place his turrets in the right spot.

cass needs to aim Q and time her ult properly. yorick? nope.

the problem i have with yorick is that he takes very little skill to play. i dont mind his sustain or dmg or anything else. what i mind is the fact that every ghoul he has automatically follows and attacks the target. its like an anti-skillshot. he casts anywhere and if its remotely close, it goes to you.

as for ganking yorick, its not hard. if he doesnt have his ult, he's dead. its that simple. come at him from 2 different sides. his slow can only hit 1 person. the other is free to do whatever he wants. yorick has no other slow.

if he has his ult, have 1 form of cc available. if u dont have a form of cc, build rylai's/mallet/gunblade. hell, even an hourglass will work.

treat his as a support. even if yorick dives you, he does not have the dmg necessary to kill you. if he tries to out-sustain you, that means hes leveling E instead of W, which means that before lvl 12 or so, his W is still weak, which means he cant push the lane at all.

tldr: yorick's ghouls auto-attack the enemy. no other champ has that. yorick, quite literally, takes no aim or positioning to master and THATS why he's one of the easiest champs in the game to play.

if a yorick takes W first to push the lane, he has no sustain and is easily harassed and forced to recall. if he builds sustain with E, promote morgana (or anyone else that can push a lane quickly and has sustain) will outpush promote yorick and force him back to his tower and early game.

Stimuz

01-05-2012

I'd actually be ok with the way his ghouls work if he couldn't drop one of those ghouls into bushes to sight for him. Vs the other ghouls you can actually stand out of range and just pop in and out of bushes while his ghouls wander between creeps and yourself.

larkhill

01-05-2012

meh, u should be used to that. lost of champs can have vision on bushes

what can yorick do even if he sees you? he has no burst at all and he has no stun.

BeelzeBuff

01-05-2012

Ever played yorick?
He's not easy- no champion is.
He has a low skill level to be played decently- but he's hard to play very well.
I'm not saying i play him very well, but i was beyond decent when i played him. (I played him solo top before it became a widespread thing- couldnt figure out why noone else did)

Like all things in league of legends- you can measure the proficiency of a person NOT by his champ and how hard he is to operate, but how smart/experienced the summoner playing him is. High level play matters less about the champion then about the player.

And Yorick's ult is NOT easy to use. When/who to use it on is a choice that eats at every yorick player.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2012

Wow, so some champions actually have to aim a skillshot. That makes them exciting and complex, whereas Yorick is brainless? But Yorick has to aim his AoE nuke so thats like mad skill n stuff rite?

Soroka has to have perfect timing? Huh? She spams starfall. And know who to stun? Hint: If you are soroka bottom...you should silence... the ENEMY CHAMP! Glad I could help with that dilemma.

IS1eae7cbb510cc9b1e2028

01-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkhill View Post

treat his as a support. even if yorick dives you, he does not have the dmg necessary to kill you. if he tries to out-sustain you, that means hes leveling E instead of W, which means that before lvl 12 or so, his W is still weak, which means he cant push the lane at all.
whut?

In what world would yorick only E, and why do his minions just dissapear? And again against your morgana argument > if she decides to push with soil, that's soil that's not going for yorick. Guess who will be making a run for morgana.

And about the binding? Morgana has trouble hitting that bind in a cluster****. Guess what yorick is: walking cluster****. Sorry, i've met lots of morgana's at bot, and they all died before even making it back to the turret save one, who just went to base so i took turret anyway.

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-07-2012

Skarner definitly counters him bot. I dont thin ranged AD counter yorick at all. Most bruisers can eventually counter yorick.
I hate him. Most boring champ/
It used to be more annoying when killing him didn't mean you took his point. now if he is dead you will take his point so I think it's more reasonable.

XReyoX

01-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkhill View Post
soraka needs to have perfect timing and know who to stun. yorick's slow auto-follows
I just got stunned.

HibbityJibbity

01-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
So why exactly is Yorick a braindead champion that takes no skill to play? I mean, by that standard cant you say the same thing about most champions in LoL?

OMG Yorick just casts W,E on me over and over. Then occasionally exhausts, Q, and beats someone down.

Ok, well... Maokai just tosses sapling after sapling, then occasionally roots, nuke combo.

Vayne just tumbles around dinking the players then knocks them back if they get close. Yawn.

Soroka mindlessly spams Silence and Starfall. zzzz....

Heimer drops turrets and spams Rocket...occasionally tosses a grenade. wow.

Cass spams poison blast and pushes the creeps forward. If she hits an enemy, she furiously mashes Serpent Tooth.

And so forth... I mean, who is so freaking complicated and great in LoL that requires all this amazing genius skill to play?
maokai is incredibly easy and so is soraka. heimer is incredibly easy as well but the difference between a good heimer (anyone) and a great one is landing the skillshot. skillshots and positioning based abilities are what differentiate skill in a champion for the most part. that's why it's retarded to act like cass isn't hard as **** or that tumble is easily mastered compared to just clicking someone and stopping them from moving instantly or clicking someone and healing them instantly. there is some level of timing, some element of skill, but it is mostly shallow.