Pure Builds... Why?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Entomy

01-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junksie View Post
Agreed. If you ask a question, don't try to disprove the people giving you answers. We do it not because we have to, but because we like to. Please don't ruin that. Maybe mixing does work for you, but many others do better pure.
Disproove or debate?

I am not denigrating pure builds, as I know characters who are meant for pure damage or pure defense. However some of the responses indicated all characters should go pure, and that seems rediculous to me.

Entomy

01-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingmeister View Post
Lifestealing 500+ hp/sec means you don't really need defensive gear.

Any melee that gap closes to you through your teammates will have needed defensive gear to live though your teammates, so you don't have to worry about them being able to kill you.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=294299&d=1318408044
Which makes sense with a ranged character like Sivir. Nice lifesteal by the way.

I can think of two characters that do fairly well at charging through an enemy team and killing off people in the back though: Olaf and Udyr. Still, a smart team should be smart enough to use some crowd control; but I have seen it.

Entomy

01-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergSwarms View Post
I will use LeBlanc as an example. LeBlanc is a one-trick pony, with one use to the team - single target burst. Any gold, whatsoever, that is not spent on pure AP or MPen, will severely affect her function. The ONLY health item that is acceptable for LeBlanc is Haunting Guise, since it gives AP, and, more importantly, MPen. It's still not a very good item though.

Even Rod of Ages cannot be justified for LeBlanc. And that's saying a lot - almost every AP in the game builds RoA as a core item.
This one makes sense; thanks for an actual answer.

DracRevan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2012

Too many extreme statements here.

1) At OP: reason they they build thusly is the best benefit to their character's skills + situation (read as: team comp, enemy comp, how game is progressing, etc).

2) Yes there are more or less standard builds. It's not necessarily min maxing as these guys claim. That's too much theorycrafting. There's an immense amount of feasibility in certain builds as well. You're right though, no character MUST get certain builds or whatnot, some are just more effective than not.

3) Survivability is an essential portion of builds for nearly all champs. Let's take an example from a previous post: 500 life steal hp/sec. But let's say you get CC'ed, caught out of position, or burst down when your max hp is only 1800ish. That lifesteal won't do anything there.

Lots of people posting statements that declare be all end all item strategies that are partial truths or too much in one extreme.