Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Hybrid Penetration Runes vs MPen Runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS18a91d7ad2488507ec964

12-31-2011

So I've took interest in the new runes that were added lately in order to revise my current pages and I ended up thinking about changing the current MPen marks to new hybrid penetration ones.

My reasoning is that the old ones give 8,5 MPen while the new ones give 5,1 MPen and 9 ArP (therefore by losing 3,4 MPen you gain 9 ArP).

Here is the question: is this a good trade-off for AP casters that could benefit from auto-attack harass (like Annie for example)?

grumpy goblin

12-31-2011

Annie I doubt. I can see then being useful on lanewick (benefitting Q spam and autoattacks) and possibly nidalee, though.

volaju

12-31-2011

For some that tradeoff is worth it, like fizz or ahri for example. Half of Ahris Q doesn't use magic resist anyway for harassment, and her attack range is decent. Fizz has to attack his opponents. Not for all of them though.

GoodShepperd

12-31-2011

i imagine they'd also be useful for champs like poppy and jax as well

SynergyDreamer

12-31-2011

Eh, those runes are pretty expensive. But if you actually have the spare IP, only plan on using them on hybrid champs like Jax, Skarner, Ezreal, etc.

Quick fact: Marks and Quints of the Hybrid Pen = Marks of ArPen and MPen. That's like 18 Marks instead of like...15?

StrmCkr

12-31-2011

they are usefull on all hybrid champs with pretty close to equal balance of scaling

TF, skarner, Jax, Ezreal, Akali,kayle ect

8.5 magic pen & 15 Armour pen
{ when u have all 9 marks and 3 quins}

it is expensive but so far i like them

Frychikn

12-31-2011

if you already have both magic pen and arm pen runes you dont need to buy hybrid runes. just mix and match them. and no champion has exactly 50/50 on damage. such as skarner does much more AD than AP.(just a beeteedubs)

StrmCkr

12-31-2011

Quote:
if you already have both magic pen and arm pen runes you dont need to buy hybrid runes. just mix and match them. and no champion has exactly 50/50 on damage. such as skarner does much more AD than AP.(just a beeteedubs)

technically the hybrid runes have more armour pen and equal magic pen

then running combinations of armour pen quins/marks with magic pen quins/marks.

Berserka

12-31-2011

After reading the title I had hoped the poster was asking maybe an even better question.... Is it better to go full hybrid quints and marks... or reserve 3 mark slots for pure magic pen.. to hit that magical equation.. 9.7 + 20 from sorc shoes / abyss scepter = 30 magic pen. I dunno 8.5 is probably close enough that the extra armor pen is worth while... esp on the AS hybrids... but on akali or someone like that id like to see the math...

Frychikn

12-31-2011

Quote:
StrmCkr:
technically the hybrid runes have more armour pen and equal magic pen

then running combinations of armour pen quins/marks with magic pen quins/marks.

yes but that extra arm pen is so small that its not worth wasting all that ip on it. unless you absolutely have every champ and rune in the game :/