Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Xin Zhao... beats Garen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Archlord Mythos

07-15-2010

I'd say that the one thing that Garen has over Xin-Zhou that you haven't mentioned is that Garen doesn't have mana.

Xin-Zhou can't spam his abilities if he wants to save them for team fights. Garen can spam all he wants, provided his cooldowns are sufficient.

Temlam

07-15-2010

Quote:
Archlord Mythos:
I'd say that the one thing that Garen has over Xin-Zhou that you haven't mentioned is that Garen doesn't have mana.

Xin-Zhou can't spam his abilities if he wants to save them for team fights. Garen can spam all he wants, provided his cooldowns are sufficient.

it's a nice theory, but 30/35/70/100 mana costs are lol

I use mana regen seals and have only once ever ran out of mana in the middle of battle (farming it's easier to, but not battle)

Duck King

07-15-2010

Quote:
Archlord Mythos:

But Garen literally can't afford to spam his abilities since they're all situational and absolutely paramount to playing him at even a decent level. Especially once Judgement's damage falls behind the curve.

Pathen

07-15-2010

Garen is, unfortunately, eclipsed right now. But that's more because his stuff is generally suckier to counterbalance him not having any mana. :| He really was made into the "Low ELO"'s own melee champ.

Funny how Garen was still considered OP for the first week.

I have a feeling that Xin's cooldown reduction W skill is going to get nerfed slightly, which will bring him in line with the other champions.

Rakeash

07-15-2010

Garen is supposed to kill "hard-to-kill melee dps"? That's news to me. What the heck does he have that would put him in that role?

Garen and Xin Zhao do have generally the same role, yeah.. run into a fight and disrupt it. Garen does it by silencing an important champion, pretending to scare people with judgement, and finishing people off with his ult. Xin Zhao does it by cutting everyone's health by a massive chunk, and trying to rush down their carry.

Garen is obviously more tanky and Xin Zhao is dps, but in my opinion you're right and Garen is vastly overshadowed now because of the ridiculous damage Xin Zhao can do and how easy it is for Xin to get into a fight with charge vs run speed.

Pathen

07-15-2010

Zileas has posted that Xin's ult is going to get a damage nerf. After that he won't be quite so wtfpwn. In the end I think that Xin is going to end up being harder to use at low ELO, and more viable to build as tank in high ELO.

Garen? I've.. given up hope on him a little bit. As I've said before. He's been thrown to low-ELO thanks to his lack of mana. I doubt he'll ever be a top tier champ, so its not fair to compare the two.

Xin's going to become relegated to probably a tank role, or a hybrid role based off of on-hit effect items, and Garen's going to stay in his bizarre world of poorly scaling crit/AD.

biomorph

07-15-2010

Xin looks funky and has potential. Garen has always been a joke apart from his ulti (which is pretty bad ass =P).

Solarious

07-15-2010

Quote:
Pathen:
Funny how Garen was still considered OP for the first week.

This is largely due to a bug that let Decisive Strike silence for twice as long as it was supposed to, essentially letting him keep mages permasilenced and removing them from a teamfight... or just plain making them useless as he chopped them into itty bitty pieces while the squishies ineffectually tried to run.

Garen's not complete garbage, and can hold his own with an effective team in TT, but he can benefit from some love from Riot.

Sykomyke

07-15-2010

Garen is an off-tank/dps hybrid.
Xin is a DPS/slight tank hybrid (note the primary/secondary switch places).
Poppy is an anti-carry hero.

All 3 have different utility and roles. It's not really fair to compare them because they have similar yet different roles within team play. Granted Garen feels like he doesn't scale as well while Xin feels like he's useful from level 3 onward.

Lawful

07-15-2010

Waiting for the nerf bat to hit xin.