Stop crying about TF/Ez UP Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elwafo

11-17-2010

I said it, for the past few days, ive found a few builds that are actually solid for both Ezreal and TF. AP spec! if your one of those on the gravytrain of UP. try these builds out yourself and agree that riots doing the right thing by not touching TF/EZ

ill cover TF first:

Skills/details: get Q lvl 1 to help with last hits, lvl 2 get W and continue to lvl Q and E any other time (other than the ults). the added AS with E will be very helpful since your build will not include any AS items. once your Q gets around rank 3 you should be laning like a pro even at max distance, i have outlaned morgs/ and 1v2+gank and successfully farmed decently, always spam blue card during laning unless you know you will be fighting soon & harass with Q while last hitting at the same time. once you reach enough AP, your Q followed by a Red card will wipe every creep wave! so feel free to buy potions every time you B (blue pots when your ganking if your fed, HP pot and mana pot/ward when you b)

Core items build.
Doran-pot
Sheen-boots(sorcerer/merc)
lichbane

(Note: You should always be buying 2 hp pots at least and maybe a ward and a few mana pots every B and be vigilant on activating them at beginnings of team fights, you can afford it if farming properly with Q)

if you are having trouble in lane and building your lichbane, try to resourt to only getting 1-2 hp pots and consider getting another dorans ring for survivability, but if your using your Q and blues right, you should be fine and more focused on helping others but not overextending.

After you finish lich bane you should have your boots (usually mercs if enemy team has even 1-2CC) and dorans ring and you should have a few kills/assists under your belt. now you have to decide what your building for late game, but if youve been playing your TF right, the enemy will react in one of Two ways:
-Buying MR
-Focusing you first in EVERY fight

So during late mid game-end game you are essentially going to be what i call "tank TF" where the enemies rammus/tank will beeline straight towards you, you have to play VERY passive (you will die fast make sure you activate your red pot as soon as you see them coming for you), meaning that you try to grab yourself at least red buff and essentially standing at max range and kite in and out of the fight but spamming Q and golds making sure you hit the most you can with your Q and stunning essential targets with W using ghost/flash to keep you alive.

Items for late-mid to end game-
it all really depends on you, you just have to make sure your actually getting more AP(so avoid getting mejais, unless your confident with that kinda stuff because it takes a while for that to kick in), and not getting stupid items like malady/hexdrinker, if you find yourself dieing quite quick you should get rylais for the HP and added slow your wild cards now give, and if your really tight on money, get haunting gauise. and if the enemy has stacked MR in spite of you, you should focus on getting Mpen items like guise/void staff and probably zhonyas/GA as a final item, hell you could even get warmogs if your fed enough late game cause your Q will kill 10+ creeps if your literally that late into the game.

i have quite a track record with TF and have played him since my first 1350IP, AP TF>AD TF due ot the fact that the magic damage ignores armor much better than going AD TF and trying to AS/AD people down with feather hits. and once Q reaches lvl 5, youill feel like your morgana with how easy it is to farm.

-----------------------------

Now as funny as it is, ezreal was the 2nd hero i bought after TF, and around the time i bought Ez, AP ez was all the rage. with the current tests ive done, and the current situation with Ez, he feels more like a supportive hero and you should also note that sheen is literally the worst item to be getting on Ez, and you can shut your noob logic up because even though it stacks on his Q we all know its doing nothing to his scoot and shoots.

this build is lightly tested, but with what i have seen, it doesnt make Ezreal feel as much as a washed up noodle, and he works very successfully as a support DPS and magnify teams with AD carries.

Core items:
Mekki+2pots
Tear of the goddess
Boots (same as TF. mercs or sorc)
Blasting wand Or Amp Tome (eventually you will need both)
Giants belt
AA staff OR Rylais OR a 2nd blasting wand (you are building both staffs)
Endgame: Generic pure AP items: void staff/guise/zhonyas.

Details: Starting with mekki pendant is risky and leaves you prone to early ganks, but enables you to spam Q and W quite frequently for harassment and last hitting, your objective is to get tear ASAP so you can be building mana charges up so that once you reach late game you are able to spam out your spells and as soon as you build AA staff your AP will essentially double (still focus on building rylais first for the slow/survivability). but same as TF you might consider buying a few HP/mana pots and being on the gun to activate them during team fights for extended survivability but AP ez really isnt the carry that he used to be or compared to his AD counterpart.

(solo lanes are not recomended, but if you are stuck into one, make sure your staying max range and focusing on farm/allies)

Skill leveling guide
start with Lvl 1 Q and LEAVE IT THERE, forget those old sheen days where all you did was count to 2 and spam your Q. and max your W and E (ults respectively). In laning phases, you stay at max range and enjoy the ability to spam your Q for last hits/harass, and avoid using your W to harass untill its around lvl 3 as well, otherwise your wasting mana (similar to TF) but every time you are at a tower you should buff your lane mate, his W is pretty much sivirs ult. making tower pushes crazy, and keeping your passive up for your own uses.

you shouldnt really need blue buff and wont really need red save them for allies, but you can grab them if you want and if your good at landing your Q.

Teamfights with AP Ez:
let me remind you again that the current state of AP ezreal isnt exactly a carry, he just is a support dps/slow/buffer with his W and snipes with his R to get stragglers/entire teams, his spells dont feel as insane as they used to be but you should probably only play Ez if your team has at least 1-2 mele heros. because your primary focus now is spamming W for buff/debuff and landing your ult (similar to lux) and probably baiting since you can get away fairly easily if focused, but you will still die like a wet noodle, but you will always try to stay at max range and run around corners/walls kiting any that follow you. (more effective with red buff)

Recap: the ap ratio for Ez isnt the best so on top of your AA staff/rylais or even before you finish rylais you may consider getting MPen/survivability similar to the TF build and landing a dynamite R in a teamfight, (one game when i was testing this strat, vlad landed his ult on 5 people and i landed a square R and it resulted in an instant triple from 100% team)

Haters will always hate one way or another, but if this enlightens anyone off of the UP gravytrain expecting riot to give them a imbafix. (although i must admit ezreals AP ratio could be slightly better, but he is still useful if done correctly) but if this guide helps any, ill be satisfied

Edit:
Suggested masteries/runes
9-0-21: General caster build
Runes: Mpen reds
Mp5/lvl yellows
AP/lvl Blues (or cooldown reduction but i prefer AP for extra damage)
Flat HP Quints

-Elwafo
(note the attached image is just my past few games of me testing ezreal, theyre not the IMBA he used to be, but i usually tend to play more supportive, and its not perfect, but its a reasonable amount of win for a thought to be UP champ)

Guerrilla333

11-17-2010

Last time i checked ezreal is a carry lol

seems lke u got carried by ur team with ur 1kills lolol

Elwafo

11-17-2010

Ezreal still feels like **** almost how lux is, but if you do the build, it makes him actually feel playable

ironblades

11-17-2010

i have not played ezreal,
So i hope this objective as possiable
you don't list any masteries suggestions
you don't list an rune setups
your "photo" shows you having a .6 k/d ratio. while your team won 4 out of 6 games. This is showing that your team has been carrying you through each game. I realize that K/d ratio isn't everything but it gives you a general idea of how a carry is doing. If you had posted a game of all losses with that k/d ratio iwould be more impressed because that means your team was doing badly yet your still able to preform to some degree. When your team wins with you going 4/7 I have to wonder if its the build thats working for you or just getting lucky with your team.

Elwafo

11-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironblades View Post
i have not played ezreal,
So i hope this objective as possiable
you don't list any masteries suggestions
you don't list an rune setups
your "photo" shows you having a .6 k/d ratio. while your team won 4 out of 6 games. This is showing that your team has been carrying you through each game. I realize that K/d ratio isn't everything but it gives you a general idea of how a carry is doing. If you had posted a game of all losses with that k/d ratio iwould be more impressed because that means your team was doing badly yet your still able to preform to some degree. When your team wins with you going 4/7 I have to wonder if its the build thats working for you or just getting lucky with your team.
i know that everyone is used to seeing ezreal played as a "carry" and if i actually wanted to i could be a *** and use my ult to KS for a better KDR, but i used it to ensure that we won the teamfight instead of being a greedy player. most of those games that i won with ezreal had a teamcomp of AD carries on both sides, so that just made the usefulness of Ezreals W that much more important, so i just made sure to just W my AD carries and throw in my punches with ezreal as well. i honestly think judging how a hero is played by their KDR is stupid, is sona always carried because she goes 1-0-20? no, does that mean shes a useless champ? no, most times, the support is what holds the team together, hence all those assists outnumbering my deaths in most of those cases and if you actually factor in assists on top of the kills it shows that i average around 3 team kills per death. even though factoring assists will make everyones KDR higher, but thats more relevant than how often you last hit an enemy compared to deaths without factoring assists.

As for masteries and runes, they are both AP specs and the guide was more directed towards the champs rather than a 101 of everything. usually people will have general rune pages and their own masteries for varying roles adapted toward themselves. so i deemed it unneccessary to cover that. but if anyone is curious, i ran with a 9-0-21 build on both and used Mpen marks, mana per lvl seals, hp quints, and AP per lvl glyphs. nothing special

RescueChip

11-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironblades View Post
When your team wins with you going 4/7/9* I have to wonder if its the build thats working for you or just getting lucky with your team.
i fixed it

SmecssRaege

11-17-2010

if this weren't so meticulously thought out... i would say this is a troll post.

Between you claiming he's not UP, and then posting a screenshot where you only have ONE good game, out of like 8.....not proving his case at all.

Ezreal just isn't up to par with other carries like ashe, corki, trist or MF... period.

A Retarded Clown

11-17-2010

I agree that tf is not as up as others claim him ot be (though his still WAY below a lot of other chars)....this guide is going to get MORE up criers.

Do NOT rush LB and do NOT use Q to last hit and basically do NOT do anything the guide says except get pots and wards.

If u rush lb..you're actually downgrading cause the proc does less than what the sheen proc does early game. Only when you have at least 200-300 ap then build LB.

Better to rush sheen, get boots, get mejais or tear (your choice) then get rylais then get zhonyas after finishing archangels if thats the path you took..THEN LB. You'll find that LB is gonna be overkill at that stage cuz ur already ripping right through the enemy. ANd you will now destroy towers. Last item should either be semi survivable (abyssal scepter) or full AP. Then get those elixirs. With how fast u can get fed as tf...getting your items fast should not be aproblem if done right.

The real trick for tf is the playstyle not the items...but that playstyle is pretty hard. When I'm tired and not in an energetic mood, I can NOT play tf...because Im too dang tired to do all that intense micro.

omgwtflolbbl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2010

To be honest, in most of those games it doesn't even look like you did that much. You don't even have a particularly high amount of assists.

In any case, any AP Ezreal build without Lichbane is kind of bad. It comes with 25 AP early for your spells, increases your farming and early game capability, gives you a poking spell that won't hit like a pillow, and makes you harder to itemize against. Also, a TF with level 1 Wild Cards is terrible too. You ALWAYS get Pick a Card first. It is infinitely more useful to have that stun/aoe slow at level one than a weak poking ability, and you can use blue cards to farm as well. Also, with Lichbane, it is a lot more useful to get an extra Blasting Wand or a NLR before actually completing it. Often times, just straight up getting Lichbane first actually results in you doing less damage.

Like the person above said, you don't show any runes or masteries. If you're going to write a guide, you should really include these.

And smecss, does it look like he's building him like a physical carry? That's a totally irrelevant statement.

gearsh1ft

11-17-2010

I recently purchased Ez and I've been running a sorta AD to AP transitional build. It pretty much goes:

Doran's Blade
Brutalizer
Boots
Tear of the Goddess
Sheen
Mejai's Soulstealer
Tear -> Archangel's Staff
Sheen -> Lich Bane
Brutalizer -> Ghostblade

Going AD early gives you an advantage, since if you max and spam Q all the time, AD helps a lot. Once the game starts to roll out of the early laning phase, I like to start going AP. Your Q and ArPen from Brutalizer/Ghostblade is NOT wasted due to Lich Bane. With Lich Bane (and Sheen), the second you hit Q your base damage is increased, and if your Q hits then it uses the increased base damage. Therefore, if you have more AP than AD, a Lich Bane makes your Q hit stronger than a Sheen. Also with a lot of end game AP, your ultimate will start to scale pretty nicely so that your ult can be used for good AOE damage instead of just chasing down low HP runners.

I believe this is the best way to play Ezreal. Your Q still does a LOT of *physical* damage (due to lots of AP + Lich Bane) and your W, E and R will do a lot of magic damage. This forces teams to split the resistances they stack, which is overall better for your team.

edit: screenshot