Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Has Dominion Failed?

Yes 299 49.83%
No 301 50.17%
Voters 600 .

Has Dominion Failed (Please read)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

x JoKeStA x

01-03-2012

I think it had failed because the fact that if you have 1 person not knowing whats going on or 1 person who afks or d/c then its over for your team.

Cyxe

01-03-2012

I'd like to state that the question was not "is Dominion fun?" he's asking if it lived up to it's hype. I think a lot of people mis-voted. It obviously has not, the queue times get longer and longer. I still have fun on the map but it's by no means a good map, it has too many inherent flaws.

Edit: Bring on Magma Chamber, better get started Riot!

Vinhoney

01-03-2012

Dominion has not failed as long as there are people playing it. 30 million people didn't start playing Summoner's Rift right away, it takes time. However, SR is holding dominion's back because many people do not like changes, putting the time they spent in SR to waste and becoming somewhat noobs. Moreover, SR is a widely popular style, so it's popularity will only draw in more players, leaving only few for Dominion. All in all, Dominion can certainly be much more if not for SR. As it is now, the only people who play Dominion are the ones who dislike farming and want fast action. On the other hand, if Ranked game were to be released, then there will definitely be groups of individual who will compete for the top ranking. When that time come people will pour in to play Dominion, because as far as human nature concerns, not everyone likes SR style, and even if they do, they must get bored of it at some point.

dredzach

01-03-2012

First off, the OP is making a straw man argument. He says "Dominion is supposed to change the world" and then puts a poll asking if it failed. Maybe it fails to change the world but it doesn't fail to entertain me. Not at all.

I love Dominion. It's all I play now, and have been for 400 games. Honestly without it I might have quit LoL altogether. Dominion is constant action, constant decisions to be made. Sure, you can go in there and get 15-5 while working up to your proper elo, but those 15-5 scores won't hold against better opponents, and those 15-5 scores won't necessarily win you the game anyway. Kills in Dominion just don't mean much in and of themselves. You get barely any gold per kill. It's not enough to kill your enemies. It's what you do with the precious seconds of advantage you gain from that kill.

The thing is Dominion offers a very different experience than SR and requires different skills and strategy than SR. Things that work in SR don't work in Dominion and vice versa. I think some of the haters either fail at Dominion or simply don't like the faster-paced game.

To make an analogy, both game modes are like chess, but SR is like normal chess and Dominion is like speed chess.

adhlas

01-03-2012

I like dred's analogy.

If Dominion were really the next greatest game mode ever, don't you think Riot would have made a whole new system for it (even through redundancy) and touted it as such? Might they have tried to get those 16 million subscribers all over again? If it's a hit with everyone, fine, but they already have a popular F2P game mode that has an overwhelming number of players, making it somewhat unnecessary for another huge game mode to take away gamers from its original.

It hasn't had the same reception as SR, but it certainly hasn't disappointed.

ActionButlerGO

01-03-2012

Quote:
Cyxe:

Edit: Bring on Magma Chamber, better get started Riot!

Because a bigger version of SR would clearly be balanced right from the start. There wouldn't possibly be a wave of QQ about how 1v1 champs dominate since it takes too long to reinforce and it wouldn't possibly get abandoned just as quickly as TT.