Lee Sin Runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zaesh

12-29-2011

I've been saving for Lee Sin but was wondering if runes are 'required' on him. I have no runes for him. I am level 30 and can get all the masteries though. Will this effect me a lot?

edit : is shaco rune dependent as well?

Typh

12-29-2011

I find that runes are only 'required' if you intend to enter ranked games any time soon (or if you play akali). Else, you'll do alright if you're an average skilled player, but will lose out on someone with full rune pages of equal skill. Shaco is also not rune dependent. If you're a fairly skilled player though, runes will not be too much of a problem in the long run.

Zaesh

12-29-2011

ok thank you! so i should be able to jungle without too much of a problem

Pig Magus

12-29-2011

Jungling might want some armor yellows.

Afny

12-29-2011

On one hand, Lee Sin isn't rune dependent. He can clear the jungle reliably without runes (except maybe Armor yellows), especially if he gets a decent leash at level 1. He can punish lanes that overextend and he transitions well into a tanky role lategame.

On the other hand, runes really let him shine early game, arguably more than other junglers, because of his AD ratios. A lot of bruiser or tank junglers take Attack Speed marks to improve their clear times, which don't add very much to gank potential. Lee Sin's high AD ratios and Passive (which grants attack speed) give him more options that can lead to DEVASTATINGLY strong early ganks. Fully runed, Lee Sin's ganks are extremely deadly at levels 2-4, and again at 6, and his clear times allow you to surprise solo lanes with even (or even higher XP). Runes geared towards a strong early game will let you (or your laners) snowball from early kills.

I run 6 Greater Marks of Strength, 3 Greater Marks of Desolation, 9 Greater Seals of Resilience, a handful of Greater Glyphs of Shielding (haven't finished buying them) and 3 Greater Quintessences of Strength. Several pro guides suggest this ratio of Attack Damage to Armor Penetration, and it has improved my results with Lee greatly.

I'd start by buying Armor Seals (since you don't appear to have any Seals yet, these will benefit any character you play), then work on your AD marks and Quints to improve your clear time and ganks.