What is a pusher?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mercer Skye

12-29-2011

Been able to find info on a few of the more 'obscure' items in LoL, like carry, I finally figured out as being a 'game winner' champ, rough start, awesome finish type of character, and jungler champs are those that are great at solo/ganking playstyles(attacking from the bushes), the only one I haven't been able to find a description on or figure out is when it lists a champion as pusher.

So what exactly is it that a champion described as a pusher does different then other champions?

wWKisukeWw

Recruiter

12-29-2011

This is what im guessing but i think pusher means someone that can be able to go in a turret without takeing much damge and help others in the team push in with him.

Mercer Skye

12-29-2011

Ya know, I didn't even think of that. Sounds about right, I haven't seen anyone using a pusher yet, but that makes sense. Kind of like a tank, but not as much staying power.

Yourinnate

12-29-2011

For those three specific terms, the long and short of it (actually just the short) is:

Carry: someone who literally "carries" their team to victory. Usually these champions need to have a great laning phase in the sense that they get a lot of last hits on creeps (creep score) or get fed (get a lot of champion kills).

Jungler: Someone who farms the jungle creeps in the jungle. They don't always have to attack from bushes, but can. They generally have to be good at ganking.

Pusher: Someone who can clear minion waves incredibly fast, generally(but not limited to) through the use of AOE skills. This is one of Riot's most ambiguous terms, as many many champions are fantastic pushers that they do not list on the in game screen. I think the game like the concept of Sivir as the stereotypical "pusher", but to be completely honest, most magic users with aoe do it better even though they never get the "pusher" title.

On a side note, pushing your lane is very rarely recommended as it opens you yourself up for easier ganks.

Legeril

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2011

What about the term "Bruiser" ??

netkitten

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2011

i think most of those champs who can clear minion waves quickly cannot tank towers though

Mercer Skye

12-29-2011

Bruiser, as I've seen it in other games, is more or less the polar opposite of a tank. Where a tank is beefy, hard to damage, and deals decent damage, a bruiser is beefy, takes moderate damage, and hits like a truck. Both tend to be slow.

But take that with a grain of salt, as I'm sure LoL puts their own spin on it.

Yourinnate

12-29-2011

@netkitten
You yourself should never really be tanking tower unless it's really late game. Minions are there for tanking towers.

Bruisers in this game are "offtanks". They are moderately beefy, can take a fair amount of punishment, but unlike true tanks, they can deal damage. Tanks in lol are there more for utility and rarely do enough damage to be considered a threat. Tanks usually have forms of initiation or crowd control, but almost always let other people (carries) do the killing.

Legeril

12-29-2011

Thanks (sorry for hijacking! )

Tristan Trades

12-29-2011

A pusher is a very rare role, hardly used in the current meta. Instead of last hitting and farming for 15-20 minutes, a pusher tries to take down his tower very fast. One of the best pushers is Heimerdinger imo. He doesn't blow the towers up himself, but he makes sure his minions are safe. Another good pusher is Sivir, because she can boost her minion horde with her ult. A champion that is strong enough to take down a tower solo (like Olaf) isn't a pusher perse.