Are we really free?

1234511 ... 19
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blu3Boy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2011

Going about my daily life, I eventually came to a realization - at least for myself and my beliefs - that we are told that we are lucky to live in such a free world, with unmatched freedom; however, this is a lie. I do not believe that we live in a free world, at least not the one we are told we have.

And before we begin, let me clarify, I believe that freedom is more than just being able to express your emotions and thoughts, the freedom is being able to do whatever we want (however, things such as murder and theft should always be prohibited by something) and not having to follow guidelines and such as strict as we have. I believe I should be able to wake up every single day, and do anything I want that expresses me, and not be treated abnormally. I, however, believe that I cannot do the simple things I wish to do, and this is why:

In the United States of America, a land, a nation that boasts the highest levels of freedom in the world, the people have slowly but surely being brain-washed by the government, and this is a trend that is worldwide. Albeit it's more prominent in the United States. The people wake up every morning, go to school/work, get in a relationship, eventually have some kids, pay their taxes and bills, watch TV, follow fashion, act normal, and obey the law. We are essentially drones that are being programmed to follow a simple code beginning the day we are born. This is the process of 'freedom' which the government had given us, and they try diligently to prevent us from deviating. Anti-gay laws, up until recently, segregation, etc.

Even though this process CAN be deviated from its path by complete national refutation(for example, the civil rights movement,) there are precautions being taken to prevent it. Look at the laws passed after the civil rights act - several of them are blatant attacks at the first amendment, be it the right to rally and petition, or freedom of speech. The freedom our forefathers wanted to give us is simply not what we have today! The line of freedom began as a perfect, straight line, but slowly skewed off of its path, and is at a standstill point where we are not getting what we want.

This change - this process - can be seen in many things, such as the stop online piracy act and the Protect Intellectual Property Act. These acts would give the government right to shut down millions of websites - and though it may not seem like it, this violates our freedom of speech.

If I were to go to an established website, and just as a joke(however sick it may be, and I would NEVER do this) posted that I was going to kill everyone at my school tomorrow, I would be tracked down and arrested without the authorities even having proof that I was ever going to really do such a thing.

Teenagers who are rebellious, and post derogatory statements against established political figures on there Twitters, Facebooks, or any other medium of online social communication, can get their account taken away, just because the political figure wanted it.

Freedom of speech is even being challenged in schools. Religion and politics are not open to discussion, and in many cases, students and teachers have been suspended for sharing their beliefs. Students or teachers essentially cannot share their opinions, and in the end, cannot express themselves how they see fit.

Being able to engage in peaceful protests is one of the most important rights that the First Amendment protects. But in recent years that right has been under attack like never before, and law enforcement officials can use violence to break up protests.

A quote of an anonymous man goes as such:

"In recent weeks, we have seen law enforcement authorities brutally dragging female protesters to the ground by their hair. We have also seen them use pepper spray, tear gas, rubber bullets and flash-bang stun grenades against protesters. If this is how protesters are going to be dealt with from now in America, then we have completely lost the moral high ground. How will we ever get other nations to take us seriously when we criticize their brutality against protesters when we are so brutal ourselves?"

And perhaps the most outrageous and blatant attack on the first ammendment:

"Barack Obama recently signed a new law that officially designates the United States as part of the "battleground" on the war on terror. This new law allows the U.S. military to arrest American citizens if they are suspected of being "potential terrorists" and to detain them indefinitely without trial. So if the U.S. military comes and grabs your neighbor and ships him off to Guantanamo Bay, then this new law is probably to blame

This new law is also going to have a huge chilling effect on free speech in America.

I have personally been contacted by several people that I know in recent weeks that are changing their behavior because of laws that have recently been passed.

It is not enough for the elite that they control Wall Street, most of the big corporations and the U.S. government.

They also want to shut all the rest of us up and keep us from complaining about it.

The elite literally want to control what we think and what we say.

We live in a country where political correctness is way out of control and where bureaucrats are constantly trying to push our free speech into a smaller and smaller box.

They are coming for our free speech my friends.

If you love free speech, and if you love the Internet as it currently exists, then you need to stand up and say something right now.

If we do not respond to these constant attacks on the First Amendment, then eventually we are going to lose it for good."

America is the country of which a large portion of the world derives its own beliefs, and if freedom is being challenged here, it will no doubt be challenged elsewhere later.

SmokingJoeNL

12-27-2011

Seeing as how there are tons of parts of the world where you can get raped or killed, the US is kind of free.

ManaBananaKrill

12-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingJoeNL View Post
Seeing as how there are tons of parts of the world where you can get raped or killed, the US is kind of free.
Technically you can get raped and killed in the US too.
You can get raped and killed anywhere in the world.

SmokingJoeNL

12-27-2011

That is not the point the op was trying to make.

Blu3Boy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2011

Stop fighting guys....the point I was trying to make was that I think we aren't free. Rape and murder have nothing to do with it, and I even specified that crimes such as murder and theft should always be counted wrong. So please, stay on topic.

I'm not telling you that this is true, this is meant to be a debate...What I posted are my beliefs.

ManaBananaKrill

12-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3Boy View Post
Stop fighting guys....the point I was trying to make was that I think we aren't free. Rape and murder have nothing to do with it, and I even specified that crimes such as murder and theft should always be counted wrong. So please, stay on topic.

I'm not telling you that this is true, this is meant to be a debate...What I posted are my beliefs.
My point was that he was dragging this off-topic. I even told him at least 2 times now to get back onto the topic at hand.

ManaBananaKrill

12-27-2011

I like how a mod deletes everything that was right after Joe's post "That's not the point the OP was trying to make". Even the post pointing out that all I did was respond to his tangent that was completely off-topic. Why delete that post if you're a mod who seems to agree to deleting things that are off-topic? If you're going to delete posts that are off-topic: Delete his tangent, my response to his tangent, and his snarky comment as well since you deleted me saying he was off-topic in the first place. Please and thank you. ^_^

SmokingJoeNL

12-27-2011

I didn't delete anything. I asked how anything I said was getting gay involved.
When did I post a tangent? Why are you so rude? I like you banana. Why are you so mad at me?

Blu3Boy

12-27-2011

You can delete your own posts, so I think he deleted his own posts

SmokingJoeNL

12-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3Boy View Post
You can delete your own posts, so I think he deleted his own posts
I just said I didn't delete anything. Why are people so rude?

1234511 ... 19