So I got in on the DOTA 2 beta...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Armaldeus

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izael Archi Magu View Post
If even 1/4 of them have spent 10 bucks on RP that's an ass load of money. I would bet that the total is quite a bit more than that too since the people that purchase RP usually purchase RP regularly and can't wait to play the new champs. I know that I have spent more on this game than I have ever spent on a game you purchase for $60 at the store.
What about wages, company insurances, and other things? The money we spend on the game doesn't just get put into a bank, its gonna be sent throughout the company, making sure they stay afloat rather than use it on servers, and find out they can't pay the people who maintain them.

Izael Archi Magu

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regniwekim View Post
if you think riot has as much money to put into LoL Valve does for DotA2, you are ignorant.
you really think gw or dota2 has a server load anywhere near LoL's?
Exactly my point smart guy, 32 million users, that's a TON of potential income. Far more than either of your examples...

Izael Archi Magu

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaldeus View Post
What about wages, company insurances, and other things? The money we spend on the game doesn't just get put into a bank, its gonna be sent throughout the company, making sure they stay afloat rather than use it on servers, and find out they can't pay the people who maintain them.
Oh right, I forgot that other companies with stable servers don't actually have to pay their employees...

Any adults with real jobs and bills and stuff feel like contributing?

Armaldeus

12-26-2011

Quote:
Guild Wars had 2 million users like 3 months after release. At that point there was NEVER any issues with the servers and they probably had alot less income than Riot does.
Guild Wars is also published by NCSoft, a very good company, with gaming franchises like Lineage, City of Heroes, and some F2P games as well, which all had a positive revenue. They had a standing before GW came out.

EDIT: Also, how would you know that I don't have a job or no bills? I'm thinking from a point of view rather than thinking, "I pay money, why don't they fix ___?"

You don't know what you have to pay to keep a company up, and all of your examples aren't really helping anything. Valve has been in the business for a long time. NCSoft as well. Riot has come up from nothing(so I presume) and they're still up. Don't forget about everything else they need, like equipment, possibly paying loans off, a bunch of stuff you aren't thinking about?

Izael Archi Magu

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaldeus View Post
Guild Wars is also published by NCSoft, a very good company, with gaming franchises like Lineage, City of Heroes, and some F2P games as well, which all had a positive revenue. They had a standing before GW came out.
Yeah because the publisher maintains the servers...

The only thing a known publisher does is up sales, leading to more users, I already stated the amount of users so your point is what exactly?

Armaldeus

12-26-2011

Quote:
Yeah because the publisher maintains the servers...

The only thing a known publisher does is up sales, leading to more users, I already stated the amount of users so your point is what exactly?
To publish a game, you buy the rights to the game, and you maintain your client's servers.

For example, the game Granado Espada, an MMORPG, has multiple clients out. One owned by Gamersfirst, one by IAH Games.

Gamersfirst runs different servers from IAH Games, yet they are the same game. The makers of the game simply supply them with content. Gamersfirst get money from people buying from the Cash Shop(alike to Riot Points), and a percentage of that goes to Hanbitsoft(I think they made the game).

So, yes, the publisher would run the servers.

EDIT: Another one. Rusty Hearts, made by Stairway Games, published by WindySoft and Perfect World Entertainment(I'm sure people have heard of them). Windy is.... I don't know where. Perfect World is for North America and EU. Perfect World runs their servers, where Windy runs theres. Stairway runs no servers.

VCJunky

12-26-2011

DotA2:
- less champions
- 0 balancing (don't tell me s**t about how Dota1 is balanced already, this is a different engine)
- undetailed and buggy stats
- sub par matchmaking
- lousy UI

DotA2 more reliable? Is that a joke? Have you even been playing it? Their servers go down too.
And when Steam goes down, you can't even go on at all.

Vrouge

12-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCJunky View Post
DotA2:
- less champions
- 0 balancing (don't tell me s**t about how Dota1 is balanced already, this is a different engine)
- sub par matchmaking
- lousy UI

DotA2 more reliable? Is that a joke? Have you even been playing it? Their servers go down too.
Rager detected.

- NO WAY!!!!! It only has 64 out of 108 heroes. It's still missing 44 heroes in the latest version of Dota 1 including counters to heroes in the current Dota 2 pool.
- Go write me a detailed analysis on the balance of Dota and LoL and I would gladly read it.
- It's a closed beta with a maximum of 15,000 people concurrently on at max.
- It's called a beta for a reason. They have specifically mentioned their UI is still being worked upon. Either way, the UI is actually fine. A bit big, but it has everything there.

MakesN0Sense

12-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCJunky View Post
DotA2:
- less champions
- sub par matchmaking
- lousy UI

- first of all, that's not bad. Also LoL started with something like 30 champions? And DotA is still in beta.
- the balance is way better than in LoL.
- the stats need some more work but as it's still beta they will most likely fix those.
- I don't think the MM is even working now. Beta...
- I like the UI, has some minor issues but nothing too bad.
also unlike LoL, in dota DotA
- you got replays
- amazing observer system
- you can make customize the suggested items for the heroes you play
- LAUNCHER DOESN'T RUN ON ADOBE AIR!!!

Lance Eliot

12-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hungry Grue View Post
Valve is a multi million dollar, well established and worldwide company

Riot Games has one head office in Cali and several server stations across the world.

There's your difference.
You're acting like Riot is some indie developer.

League of Legends also has millions of players, and thus a large number of paying customers, a fair number of whom have been milked for hundreds of dollars. Add the Tencent buyout to this.