Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

So I got in on the DOTA 2 beta...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Izael Archi Magu

12-26-2011

Quote:
A Hungry Grue:
Valve is a multi million dollar, well established and worldwide company

Riot Games has one head office in Cali and several server stations across the world.

There's your difference.

LOL has 32 million users and yet somehow they lack the funds to keep their servers running? Right...

Regniwekim

Recruiter

12-26-2011

lets compare valve and riot. which one do you think has more money and more experience with these things?

now let's take a look at the amount of server load each game is experiencing.

Shynee101

12-26-2011

Quote:
Armaldeus:
They didn't agree to the Summoner's Code.

Where do I do this?

Armaldeus

12-26-2011

Quote:
Izael Archi Magu:
LOL has 32 million users and yet somehow they lack the funds to keep their servers running? Right...

32 millions users doesn't mean all of them pay for services.

EDIT: @Shynee, you do it when you sign up to the forums, not sure how to afterwards...

Jafryn

12-26-2011

Well, yeah, it's Valve.

Izael Archi Magu

12-26-2011

Quote:
Regniwekim:
lets compare valve and riot. which one do you think has more money and more experience with these things?

now let's take a look at the amount of server load each game is experiencing.

You're totally right, since they're a new company the fact that people spend tons of money on their game doesn't apply to them.

There's a ton of examples of new games by new companies having super reliable servers and gameplay. Guild Wars is a perfect example.

Armaldeus

12-26-2011

Quote:
Izael Archi Magu:
You're totally right, since they're a new company the fact that people spend tons of money on their game doesn't apply to them.

There's a ton of examples of new games by new companies having super reliable servers and gameplay. Guild Wars is a perfect example.

Flat rate of buying a game and playing for free isn't the same as putting a game for free out and giving the option of buying. The % of people who actually pay is probably lower than we all think.

Izael Archi Magu

12-26-2011

Quote:
Armaldeus:
32 millions users doesn't mean all of them pay for services.

EDIT: @Shynee, you do it when you sign up to the forums, not sure how to afterwards...

If even 1/4 of them have spent 10 bucks on RP that's an ass load of money. I would bet that the total is quite a bit more than that too since the people that purchase RP usually purchase RP regularly and can't wait to play the new champs. I know that I have spent more on this game than I have ever spent on a game you purchase for $60 at the store.

Regniwekim

Recruiter

12-26-2011

Quote:
Izael Archi Magu:

if you think riot has as much money to put into LoL Valve does for DotA2, you are ignorant.
you really think gw or dota2 has a server load anywhere near LoL's?

Izael Archi Magu

12-26-2011

Quote:
Armaldeus:
Flat rate of buying a game and playing for free isn't the same as putting a game for free out and giving the option of buying. The % of people who actually pay is probably lower than we all think.

Guild Wars had 2 million users like 3 months after release. At that point there was NEVER any issues with the servers and they probably had alot less income than Riot does.