Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Which one is better: Civilization IV or Civilization V?

Civilization IV 24 38.71%
Civilization V 38 61.29%
Voters 62 .

Civilization IV v. Civilization V

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaykoboy

12-26-2011

Quote:
Warriorbrood:
Forget Civilization IV and Civilization V, get Fall From Heaven II. It is a total conversion mod for Civ IV.

Was that the one that was RPG-ish with the iced-over planet, or another one?

I own Beyond the Sword and Warlords, as well as Colonization. I have almost all of the good mods.

SoloDragoon

12-26-2011

Stacking units was obnoxious, and a bit OP imo.

YurdleTheTurtle

12-26-2011

I play Civilization casually, so Civ 5 is much better than Civ 4 in my eyes.

All the UI improvements and simplified-but-not-too-much changes (such as no more 'stacks of doom') made things much better for me. The game is less taxing since it's a little less complicated and you don't feel the need to look up guides for everything.

That said however, I can see why someone who plays Civilization a little more seriously would like Civ 4 more.

The Dude II

12-26-2011

Civ IV is just fantastic. Civ V is the first one I couldn't really get into...Makes me sad.

Arkillion

12-26-2011

Quote:
Warriorbrood:
Forget Civilization IV and Civilization V, get Fall From Heaven II. It is a total conversion mod for Civ IV.

You can also get Rise from Erebus, the mod of a mod ! Complete overhaul of Civ4 (the best too). Completly worth a try for any medieval fanstatic lovers.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=373629

Bilun

12-26-2011

Both have advantages:

Civ IV: More civs; more interesting cultural path; more depth in the tech tree

Civ V: War/combat is more fun then amputating an arm with a rusty saw, unique passives for each civ, the culture tech spec tree>>civics, computer players will actually make decent deals, the diplomacy path is more interesting

I have great difficulty saying one is better as they both have strengths. I love civ 5, but at the same time many of my favorite strategies and aspects of civ IV are missing at the same time(one good example is the removal of cultural assimilation of land).

Krosan

12-26-2011

2 was amazing... so many hours burned.

Of the rest, my pick really has to be 5. I do enjoy tabletop-style wargames, and Civ 5 took enough pointers from that game type to really freshen things up.

I don't really care for the "civics" method used in 5 (leveling up your civilization? Odd...) but the way warfare works out is far better in my opinion. Having to move units around and control the map more is far more interesting than stacked movement, and the fact that cities themselves are not defenseless means that you can afford to concentrate on a war and not worry about a lucky barbarian sacking your capital.

In short, whatever else I might possibly complain about with the game got eliminated by the fact that I think that the actual warfare works far better, both for attack and defense.

LydeckerCain

Recruiter

12-27-2011

Civ IV, hands down. Civ V removed a great deal of depth from the game.

Flodoard

12-27-2011

tbh I hated the stacking of units. It's so cheap; now war feels more strategic and almost chess-like (although I have to admit, it's no fun fighting with the ai now that they can't stack units either)

Arkalyn

12-27-2011

I grew up as an Age of Empires fan (RIP Ensemble) but I had always heard of the Civ series and those kinds of games peaked my interest. I finally got to try V on a friends steam and loved every minute of it!!Took a lil getting used to but after a couple weeks I was doing some of the harder difficulty bot matches.
I would still like to try IV but stacked units sounds ridiculousy tough to eliminate