here to you vegetarians

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

teamchuckles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenerealxDisease View Post
Perhaps there was some information from this study(was it a study or am I mistaken) you earlier alluded to that would make everything click but as of now I can't draw the same conclusion as you have. Perhaps you could help me with this?

From what I remember you said that in this study that after eating only vegetables for several months eating meat would cause a person to vomit terribly.
I've also heard stories that during WWII that many of the starving jews actually ate themselves to death after getting out because their stomachs had stopped working at the capacity necessary to process that much food. These two things seem to suggest that the body simply shutdowns functions that are not necessary so as to conserve energy rather than your conclusion that the body creates these functions when it did not previously have them.

Perhaps I have your conclusion wrong though so feel free to correct me.

Also was it you who said that humans were herbivores? Perhaps the reason I in particular disagree is that I might hold a different definition of omnivore. Namely I define an omnivore as something with the capacity to eat both whereas someone else might define it as something that needs to eat both.
I took a nutrition course in college (it was to fill an "out of the major" slot, don't ask...), that supplied us with many peer edited articles about biological functioning and digestion. I don't have the article and I don't have access to the school library lab anymore, so I don't know what to search for and I don't want to search the internet for such a minor point, but suffice it to say that the article stated that the body produces less enzymes that are normally used for breaking down meat and dairy in the absence of their usage (much like any other substance that enters the body), therefore after long periods of going without meat, one may eat meat and may vomit. Exceptions noted, I have met at least one vegetarian who went for 12 years without meat, then went back to red meat instantly without a transition period and claimed he did not vomit (though confessed to the absolute worse bowel movements in the history of mortal man).

I did not state humans are herbivores, and I would not. I also agree that humans are omnivores, for the same reasons you stated. I was simply defending a man who may have had his facts right and his terminology mixed up from a devilishly spiteful child with a bad attitude.

Yaezakura

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamchuckles View Post
I feel like very few people are actually reading my posts.

Humans are not naturally omnivorous, we adapt to becoming omnivorous. Read my earlier post, I won't reiterate.

Lions are not "intelligent life" like humans are, therefore comparing a lion's diet to a human's diet does not do any justice to the human - nor the lion. We share information and come to discover that there are healthy ways of eating (some argue healthier, but who knows), then we activate these plans. Lions don't understand this kinda ****.

In fact, comparing humans to lions should really be a deterrent to eating meat - do you suggest we are stupid enough that we should just eat whatever the **** is in front of our face regardless of the alternative, possibly more healthier solutions?

I know very many fat vegetarians (google vegetarian celebrities, you might find a few...), vegetarian != "skinny as a rail", and once again I state that being a vegetarian != eating healthy. Fat exists in many things that are not meat based, and many times those fats are more healthy than fat from meat.

You can hodge-dodge around this belief that one must eat meat in order to be healthy, but unfortunately the facts will never follow suit.
Yes, humans are naturally omnivorous, like all species of great ape. You can't just magically develop the ability to digest a new source of food because you start eating it. No matter how many plants you feed a hawk, it will never develop the ability to digest them properly.

And comparing dietary habits to other animals is not a disservice to anyone. Species naturally crave the foods they need to survive. For lions, that is solely meat. For cows, it's grass. For humans, it's anything that happens to taste good.

It is against our very biology to eat nothing but plants. Humans evolved to walk upright and developed our unique hands for a reason, and that reason was because it made us better hunters. In fact, it's thought that our unique arm structure that allowed us to effectively use spears instead of only crude axes is what allowed **** sapiens to out-hunt and out-fight **** erectus. Our ability to effectively run down prey and use tools to kill it is what allowed our species to flourish.

teamchuckles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaezakura View Post
It is against our very biology to eat nothing but plants. Humans evolved to walk upright and developed our unique hands for a reason, and that reason was because it made us better hunters. In fact, it's thought that our unique arm structure that allowed us to effectively use spears instead of only crude axes is what allowed **** sapiens to out-hunt and out-fight **** erectus. Our ability to effectively run down prey and use tools to kill it is what allowed our species to flourish.
This quote is just golden. I will pass this on to my children's children, maybe by then they'll actually have proof to contradict what we know now - that it is against our biology to eat nothing but plants.

Anyway, I knew that when I entered this thread, it would be like arguing religion, or abortion. I don't think there is a right answer, I just get fed up with meat eaters who use ridicule to try and powerhouse a conversation, steering people away from a vegetarian lifestyle with talking points and crude arguments rather than letting them decide on their own merits.

But for now, I'm back in LoL so I'm just gonna go die to noobs.

EDIT: Actually, on second thought, I DO think there is a right answer, I just don't think a single person on a League of Legends forum can convince anyone of that, so I will just bow down to the holy pasta monster.

Yaezakura

12-26-2011

No, I'm fine with people making their own choices of what to eat. If someone wants to decide to eat vegetarian, they're more than welcome to, and I will not mock that decision.

However, I see a lot of holier-than-thou vegetarians who start talking about how vegetarian diets are more moral or righteous or whatever. And that I cannot abide.

I also can't stand it when people try to say incredibly stupid stuff like "humans aren't omnivores".

Feel free to have a vegetarian diet. Just don't get the stupid idea in your head that you're better than anyone else for doing it.

Worstcase

12-26-2011

Never understood why anyone would be anything but what Nature made them to be, which is to be an Omnivore. After all, there are just some things you can't get from being a vegan.

Dobagoh

12-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worstcase View Post
Never understood why anyone would be anything but what Nature made them to be, which is to be an Omnivore. After all, there are just some things you can't get from being a vegan.
Like having bad bowel movements? Vegetarians rarely ever have gastric-related problems due to food consumption, every bowel movement is smooth and they almost never get food-related diarrhea, constipation, or those things where when you eat too much protein and your poop is really difficult to move and your colon gets scrapped when you poop. Also their farts don't smell as bad.