here to you vegetarians

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

example1013

Senior Member

12-26-2011

There are a lot more non-vegetarian *******s than there are vegetarian *******s.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

example1013

Senior Member

12-26-2011

Nevermind.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

General Akbar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHeroNamedHawke View Post
We have enough grain to feed 8 million people
Give it to cows lol
OP really knows his stuff
In case you didn't read the article. The argument in the article is actually well thought out and compelling. It doesn't say anything about the U.S. market for producing meat. It refers solely to australia where they have massive amounts of untamed land with indigenous vegetation. So they say that if you feed the cows off that land and keep the native species of flora intact you can produce meat and maintain multiple natural ecosystems. Where as if you were to grow wheat or soy...etc. you'd have to clear out all the native plants and lead to the collapse of those same ecosystems.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

enfabled mage

Senior Member

12-26-2011

fruitarains are the only people who care alot about living things.

Vegans are the ones that care about animals but not so much plants

vegetarains are the ones that don't like killing animals.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dKaleph

Senior Member

12-26-2011

its morally corrupt to eat meat simple as that, anyone with logic can figure this out
you're eating muscle tissue, the same kind you have to move your limbs

i was a vegetarian for 3 years then i stopped caring


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

teamchuckles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern Knight View Post
Actually, there is an exception to this in the case of vitamin B12, which neither animals or plants produce. Animals get it from bacteria that produces it(by eating stuff with that bacteria on it). And plants don't have it at all.

So we do need a supplement for that. Without the (low) required B12, we can get anemia, and nerve damage, among other problems. If you are a vegetarian and have not been taking vitamin B complex or B12, I suggest you do so soon.

otherwise, your point is well made.
Thank you for pointing this out. There are many other nutrients that I did not mention.

In my argument, I argued for vegetarians, and vegetarians, by definition, are dairy eating people. B12 can be achieved through eating animal based products, like eggs.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trick Slapped

Junior Member

12-26-2011

People are vegetarian/vegan mainly because it's a healthier way to live.

http://goveg360.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/bizarro-vegan-gorilla-comics1.gif


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fern Knight

Member

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Akbar View Post
In case you didn't read the article. The argument in the article is actually well thought out and compelling. It doesn't say anything about the U.S. market for producing meat. It refers solely to australia where they have massive amounts of untamed land with indigenous vegetation. So they say that if you feed the cows off that land and keep the native species of flora intact you can produce meat and maintain multiple natural ecosystems. Where as if you were to grow wheat or soy...etc. you'd have to clear out all the native plants and lead to the collapse of those same ecosystems.
A valid point, but that case is very situational and only applies to austrailia and other nations with very large amounts of undeveloped land(essentially the same amount of space as would be needed to support a hunter-gatherer society, since that's what your describing). population growth being what it is, it still leads to an unsustainable situation.

As population grows, I assume more animals would be bred to keep up, which would consume more natural flora and fauna, eventually, too many animals would be present to actually survive in the ecosystem, and mass starvation would become an issue, putting the cow species in Australia at risk.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

General Akbar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern Knight View Post
A valid point, but that case is very situational and only applies to austrailia and other nations with very large amounts of undeveloped land(essentially the same amount of space as would be needed to support a hunter-gatherer society, since that's what your describing). population growth being what it is, it still leads to an unsustainable situation.

As population grows, I assume more animals would be bred to keep up, which would consume more natural flora and fauna, eventually, too many animals would be present to actually survive in the ecosystem, and mass starvation would become an issue, putting the cow species in Australia at risk.
True however the amount of nutrients in the soil is finite, and if population growth continues at current rates eating purely vegetables will be nothing but a band aid on the global food crisis. And unfortunately you need to take greed into account. Say you take 50 acres and grow wheat on it and do nothing with it but feed cows. There is no guarantee that without cows that grains will still be grown on that land as every crop besides wheat is more lucrative. So in that situation the food supply would benefit more from the meat being produced on that land rather than some lucrative cash crop.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Valfreya

Member

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamchuckles View Post
Valfreya, I don't believe for a second you are vegetarian if you are promoting taking supplements in place of meat protein. That is something only a silly little troll would say.

Being a vegetarian, just like being a meat eater, is healthy. Neither is more healthy than the other as long as each party is getting the proper nutrients they need. Vegetarians do not need supplements to get protein, just like meat eaters do not need heartburn medication when they shove a quarter pound of red meat in their gullet.

Vegetarians simply acquire their nutrients from various sources where meat eaters may acquire their nutrients from one source. Vegetarians can eat spinach to get their iron, beans to acquire amino acids, and soy based protein to replace meat based protein. There are many other places these nutrients are in, and there are many animal substitutes which fulfill all these nutrients.

The meat industry has done a fine job of making people believe that they NEED meat in order to be a nutritious person.

If you eat meat, more power to you. If you don't, equal power to you. Neither is more healthy or less healthy, just don't eat like you're mad at your arteries for their crimes against humanity.
Never said I was a vegetarian, was saying to my believe and talking to people and even dating someone that was a vegetarian (not anymore he couldn't be when he moved in with his grandparents, they were lazy to let him) says they can't get all the nutrients that meat provides so taking supplements are sometimes needed.

Also I know beans provide protein and you can get various nutrients from being a vegetarian that you sometimes don't get from meat, its simply I suppose more easy to make sure you get your nutrients by eating meat and making sure you have proper vegs with it also.

From what I read vegetarians have to watch what they eat so they can get enough of what they need to actually be healthy, sounds more complicated then eating a grilled piece of meat (which is more healthy than eating greasy cooked meat) and eating your vegs with it also.

Also greasy food are more unhealthy for your arteries than a non greasy piece of meat.

So you have to watch out because you might think your healthy, but your really not, that goes for both sides.