Thoughts on Oedipus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeutschMaster

12-24-2011

I don't want to delve too deep into the story - mostly, because it will start a lot of fuss. I would however like to ask a question of those who have read the story, be it at school, or in your free time.

A friend's younger sibling mentioned to me that his class started reading that story, and that Oedipus is "a ****ed up dude,"

This got me thinking, what are your thoughts on the character Oedipus? Is he a victim, a protagonist or just your average Joe who accidentally kills his dad, and courts his mom, or something different?

I personally see his character as being a victim. I'll add what my friend's younger brother says about Ode-a-pus (Yeah he called him Ode-a-pus) says about his character after his class finishes reading the play.

Vorkon

12-24-2011

what thef cuk is oedipus

Jesus the Friend

12-24-2011

ITT:
12 year old OP wants to brag about reading a little bit about mythology(Note how he didn't explain anything about Oedipus or the Oedipal Complex).
Low.

Blind mother screwing father killing dude ftw?

chainsawpete

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-24-2011

I'm a bear

Worstcase

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-24-2011

Great story, everytime I see Oedipus though I can't help but think of the Oedipus Complex though.

DeutschMaster

12-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus the Lord View Post
ITT:
12 year old OP wants to brag about reading a little bit about mythology(Note how he didn't explain anything about Oedipus or the Oedipal Complex).
Low.

Blind mother screwing father killing dude ftw?
No, actually. ITT Ssraeshza wants to pretend being a dentist, or dentist's assistant means he is also a psychologist, thus meaning he can label on the OP as well as know exactly how the Oedipal complex relates to Oedipus.

You see, Ssraeshza, in the play - as a baby - Oedipus was "fated to kill his father, and marry his mother," with that said he does these things without even knowing that it would happen. Without the Character having knowledge of that he is sort of put into the role of a victim. With that knowledge he is sort of put into the role of a victim.

Whereas in the Oedipal complex blatantly states, "In psychoanalytic theory, the term Oedipus complex denotes the emotions and ideas that the mind keeps in the unconscious, via dynamic repression, that concentrate upon a boy’s desire to sexually possess his mother, and kill his father." (source, wikipedia)

You see, Ssraeshza, the term Oedipal complex very loosely uses the name Oedipus, because your average Joe with a fifth grade reading level and an older sibling can relate with it.

As you have by now, hopefully, figured out that you have owned yourself by someone that almost never bothers to argue with someone due to their stupidity (as the name facepalmextreme suffices my feelings towards others) you will probably rebut with something about my nonchalant use of basic sentence structure - something to that effect.

So. You see, Ssraeshza, I didn't want to delve into the background of Oedipus Rex, or the Oedipal complex, because people like you who can't differentiate one thing and another thing that is lightly relative to the first.

Completely threw the vibe of the thread off, cabron.

Liik

12-26-2011

In my opinion[had to write it for an exam on college], Oedipus is pretty much a piece in Tıkhe's hand, and tries to deny it, Holding his freedom of choice just makes him more entangled on Apollo's prediction, but above everything, he's just a token showing how much tıkhe[something akin of fate/destiny/luck] can screw up anyone, regardless of anything. And how knowledge hurts.

Dobagoh

12-27-2011

Don't forget the line in the play where Oedipus' mother/wife says "What son does not dream of bedding his mother?"