Negative Compliments and Positive Insults

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cadrantaar

12-23-2011

Hey everyone. I'd like to share something that has been on my mind lately. My hope is to make LoL a better place to play games. The idea is this:

Compliments and Insults can be both Positive and Negative.

What am I talking about? Well, lets start with compliments. Let's consider a game where your bot lane got really strong and destroyed everyone. In the post-game lobby, you could say,
"Wow, bot lane so pro." or "Wow, bot lane got so fed."

You see that the first comment is about how good your players were, and the second comment is about how bad the other players were. When you focus on your team's strengths, you're giving positive compliments. You're not making the enemy team feel worse, you're only making your team feel better. That's great. If you focus on the enemy team's failures, you're giving negative compliments. Now, you're no longer making your team feel good, and are instead just making the enemy team feel worse. At the end of the day, everyone is a bit sadder.

You can make the same arguments about insults. Let's consider a scenario where your team's solo top ends a 45 minute game with only 200 CS. In this case, you could tell them,
"Nice CS, noob." or "Wow, your CS wasn't so hot this game."

Now it's the first comment that focuses only on negatives. Once again, at the end of the day everyone is a bit sadder. You aren't even complimenting the enemy player on blocking your team's CS. I call a comment like this a negative insult. Instead, you could say the second phrase. While still not positive, it assumes the best form that player. It assumes that the player has skill, but just had a tough game for whatever reason. You can still point out that they didn't do very well, but you're not condemning them. I call this a positive insult.

In summary, you have the ability to make basically anything you say positive or negative. If you focus on good play and assume the best of people, you will be making League of Legends a better place every day. If you focus instead on bad play, or assume the worst of others, you will just make the community more and more toxic.

Please, please, please, please use positive compliments and insults.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CLG DoubIelift

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-23-2011

mkay