Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Curious: What Programming Language?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Husbane

10-07-2009

Quote:
Lima Beans:
Yeah we want to do this someday =)

F-ING SWEET! If you need someone to help test your APIs let me know, I'm down to get my hands dirty! I'm a pretty terrible programmer (more of a systems guy) but hey, maybe that's for the best. If there's any way to create a memory leak, I'll probably find it. :P

Brody

Adjudicator

10-07-2009

Quote:
Lima Beans:
we use at least the following languages here
C++ (the core game is written in this)
Lua (core game)
C# (game tools)
ActionScript (game hud and pvp.net)
Java (platform servers)
Erlang (platform servers)
Php/sql (web team / platform)

No python love?

Drakonis

10-07-2009

So many Programming languages in LoL, that would make certain scourges to big mmos impossible to replicate for this game *HUGE YAY*, Neither people trying to cheat the game entirely *GODLIKE YAY*, Addons *FAINTS*.

Husbane

10-07-2009

Quote:
Brody:
No python love?

Python is fun, but I'm an OG PERL guy 4lyfe. I think I still have a print out of the .9-alpha spec somewhere in a box.

:P

EDIT::: And Lima, you can't tell me that there's not at least one custom PERL script somewhere that does something productive for LoL... even if it's just reporting, build automation or just cleaning up log files.

Sythion

10-07-2009

Quote:
Husbane:
Python is fun, but I'm an OG PERL guy 4lyfe. I think I still have a print out of the .9-alpha spec somewhere in a box.

:P

EDIT::: And Lima, you can't tell me that there's not at least one custom PERL script somewhere that does something productive for LoL... even if it's just reporting, build automation or just cleaning up log files.

I think all of that stuff can be handled pretty cleanly by modern IDE's.

Clonesa

10-07-2009

Of course they use Flash, the game requires you to install Adobe AIR :P I imagine they didn't just do that because they are fans :P

Husbane

10-07-2009

Quote:
Sythion:
I think all of that stuff can be handled pretty cleanly by modern IDE's.

IDE's are great for development builds on the client side dev machines, but I can't imagine actually using one for a production build going into a server for a major enterprise environment... then again, I've been out of the start-up world for a long time. At my company it takes a 72 hour down time request and a DPKG to change one line in an HTML file. Red tape FTL... :/ It makes building and managing all releases fun (and my fun I mean painful).

Kaitor

10-07-2009

Quote:
Clonesa:
Of course they use Flash, the game requires you to install Adobe AIR :P I imagine they didn't just do that because they are fans :P

Actually the action script could be used only for the ovo.net client. The real hint on AS usage is in the game files =P where you can find all the swfs for the game interface =D

Sythion

10-07-2009

Quote:
Husbane:
IDE's are great for development builds on the client side dev machines, but I can't imagine actually using one for a production build going into a server for a major enterprise environment... then again, I've been out of the start-up world for a long time. At my company it takes a 72 hour down time request and a DPKG to change one line in an HTML file. Red tape FTL... :/ It makes building and managing all releases fun (and my fun I mean painful).

I'm really not sure. Just a student here . What company do you work for (if you're allowed to say)?

Husbane

10-07-2009

Quote:
Sythion:
I'm really not sure. Just a student here . What company do you work for (if you're allowed to say)?

I'd rather not say, but pick any 10+ y/o tech company that at one point was 5000+ employees (even if we're down to less then 400 now) and you find the same issues.

IDE's are great for development, amazing actually. I was programming in the early days of Eclipse when it was the leading choice for Java development and while it was clunky and heavy, it was still awesome. I'm sure they're a 1000 times better now. But you don't want to build for production on a desktop -- you want a clean build environment that's used for nothing but building. Ideally closely matching the Dev, Test and Production server environments. Now if you're talking client software, technically the same should hold true, however, it very rarely does. :P

J