Why do we need a personal score at all?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

gnmish

12-22-2011

I'm guessing most dedicated Dominion players are more or less unhappy with the personal score system, and there are plenty of idea floating around as to how to fix it. But has Riot really thought about why it's even there?

In other team games/sports there is usually an acceptance of the idea that different members of a team will play different roles, and you cannot boil it all down in to one statistic to determine who is doing better. Why not just simply display more of the raw statistics and leave it at that?

Removing the score would then place more emphasis on proper statistical analysis of your game, people would have to look at decaps, caps, defends, k/d/a etc to determine their performance in the proper context of their role, rather than a lazy number or a god awful colored medal that will never truly reflect performance. This would lead to better development of the meta and better players in general.

Argodis

12-22-2011

Because it's not completely inaccurate.

There is a lot of truth to the personal score. There are times where it's completely wrong about who contributed the most towards a win. However, most of the time I find that the score system is pretty accurate.

Taenaryn

12-22-2011

Wait... you think K/D/A is actually a reflection on how much you contributed to winning? I guess you don't play tanks or support, huh? Or even things like Veigar's stun which can win a fight for you even if he died a split-second later before he could rack up assists with a damage spell.

I haven't yet found the part that tells you how often you defended, except in 'objectives' as part as your overall score.

Even caps and neutralizes don't necessarily mean you're playing all that good. *especially* if you're capping at the same time as someone else *just* to say you capped X times. My score has gone down a bit since I've stopped my cap as soon as someone joins in unless speed is an issue or I'm gonna be there anyways to defend because an enemy is coming. But overall I am better serving my team by not capping when there's three or four of us already capping.

I see a lot of posts about how the score system could be improved. But I think this is the first time I've actually seen anyone suggest scrapping the score system period.

Is the score system perfect? Heck no. Could it be improved? Heck yeah. Is it still better than going by K/D/A alone? A million times yes!

gnmish

12-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taenaryn View Post
Wait... you think K/D/A is actually a reflection on how much you contributed to winning?
Its part of the game, but I did also mention several other statistics in the same phrase, they are all important and meaningful.

Quote:
I guess you don't play tanks or support, huh?
I play Singed, Bot and if you check my match history you will see im not a stranger to getting 1/2/3 place on a team.

Quote:
I haven't yet found the part that tells you how often you defended, except in 'objectives' as part as your overall score.
Here's the thing, time defended is a recorded statistic, and contributes to your score. But its a hidden one that is not displayed in the general stats at the end of the game, instead they rely on the total personal score instead.

Quote:
Is the score system perfect? Heck no. Could it be improved? Heck yeah. Is it still better than going by K/D/A alone? A million times yes!
The point of my post was to encourage some thought and discussion as to why the score system is even there, is it meaningful? and does it contribute to peoples enjoyment of the game? And does score encourage people to play better, or just play to get a higher score?

gnmish

12-22-2011

double post..woops

Noctred

12-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argodis View Post
Because it's not completely inaccurate.

There is a lot of truth to the personal score. There are times where it's completely wrong about who contributed the most towards a win. However, most of the time I find that the score system is pretty accurate.
I agree with that.

There are always going to be exceptions as it's difficult to construct a system that accounts for absolutely everything, but after playing around 1100 Dominion games I've found that there's usually a decent correlation between the players at the top of the stack and the players who most strongly pushed the team towards a win, or at least kept a loss from becoming too embarrassing.

Outside of games where you get carried by your bottom laner, the score system doesn't do too bad of a job. It could be improved though, for sure.

Tale Feather

12-22-2011

And going off what is spoken, I feel as if a bit of patience should be accepted in this matter. Balancing score is no easy task, especially in terms of defense. Overempasis on it encourages turteling which is a bad gameplay turn. Too little, and your bottom carries feel unappreciated.

I think they're doing well so far but some tweaks here and there are encouraged. I actually hope they eventually implement it in SR once they're done making revisions there. Personal score can encourage better play then KDA can, if the score is appropriately valued. Additionally, personal score could also help balance Elo issues that we've been seeing over and over again. Dominion makes for a great experiment in that regard, so I hope that's why ranked is taking so long.

So no, I encourage further development of personal score, and once they've got it balanced for Dominion, they should heavily consider it for SR as well.

FDru

12-22-2011

There's no way to fix it. There's too many variables that a computer can't include in the score calculation.

Raw stats aren't meaningful either. Who cares how many caps you have? What matters is how long you held the node you capped, how many enemies you delayed while doing it, etc. Things the score system doesn't take into account.

K/D/A is an even worse representation of contribution. Just like on SR, it's extremely easy to play defensively, stay out of fights and clean up kills for a great K/D/A while generally being a poor team player and probably leading your team to a loss.

At the end of the game, only two things matter: Victory or Defeat. Personal score and K/D/A simply tell you nothing about where you need to improve or what you did well. Since you get no bonus or penalty based on either, who really cares anyway?

Stun Bot

12-22-2011

I've played over 1000 Dominion games and I couldn't care any less if there was a score system or not. It means nothing. You play for a win, or a loss. Team game. End of story.

JoeDuo

12-22-2011

The personal score is worse than useless.
It only sometimes seems 'accurate' because the scoring system is primarily based around the kill/death ratio.

Top killers get huge score boosts, even if that means waiting until your team lost the battle to pick the low health stragglers. You don't need to run faster than the lion, just faster than the other guy.
Players that survive battles get to be the one that get the capture score bonus, even if they didn't fight in the battle.
Both are direct representation of k/d ratio, kill and/or don't die and you'll score well, irrelevant of your real contribution to the team.

Good score, good k/d ratio. What a coincidence! The system must be working well. /s

The most important other factor is sitting on point, where you can get massive points over time and from interrupts. Not pushing = massive score bonus.