@Riot - I'm a paying customer, but until you fix the AFK problem, I won't be

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zionist shill

12-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenanigansOKeef View Post
Delusion of grandeur? Do you even know what that means? <redacted>

EDIT--I am really confused here. Why are you defending inaction on an issue that ruins Dominion? Do you not like having fun or something?

EDIT2--I should just stop coming to these forums, it's obviously such a hot bed of intelligent debate. Forget about it. Clearly I'm the only one who doesn't enjoy getting stomped 4v5 for no good reason.

It didn't take you that long to pull out the condescending act. Oh well, I am sure we will eagerly await your return, with your infinite knowledge and unquestionable logic. Maybe one day us mere mortals will be able to understand your impeccable thoughts and actions, even if they seem idiotic to us right now, because you know they are.

Tool.

Kuznets

12-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgsloan View Post
Enabling early surrender and providing loss forgivness if there's an afk from the start would be to most sensible fixes.
One person creates an account, plays 2(3,4,5) premade with the other(s) and goes afk/leaves every game. Free IP farm for the rest of his premade. Bacasue it's a smurf he doesn't care about the number of leaves and reports.

And as I mentioned before you can't deny loss forgiven for premades because you can't figure out if he left intentionally or not.

ShenanigansOKeef

12-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpIe Reign View Post
It didn't take you that long to pull out the condescending act. Oh well, I am sure we will eagerly await your return, with your infinite knowledge and unquestionable logic. Maybe one day us mere mortals will be able to understand your impeccable thoughts and actions, even if they seem idiotic to us right now, because you know they are.

Tool.
Yeap, I'm such a tool; wanting people to be able to enjoy Dominion the way it was intended. BAN NOW PLOX!!

EDIT--Hold on, this is stupid. I don't have any beef with any of you, tools or otherwise. Can we please just keep to the topic at hand? Dominion, AFK, ruining games, etc

Noctred

12-22-2011

Quote:
EDIT--I am really confused here. Why are you defending inaction on an issue that ruins Dominion? Do you not like having fun or something?
I think the point is that game devs are rarely comfortable with inaction. While it's easy for a random player to come crying on the forums about how they're going to cease shelling out cash if the devs don't do something about some purported issue, the reality is more along of the lines of gtfo and nobody's going to miss you. I personally always get a kick out of "listen to me or I quit" whine threads.

That isn't to say that the devs don't care one way or the other about their customer base, but more to say that you're delusional if you really think that they aren't already going through any number of scenarios on how to best solve problems that have been brought up a hundred times prior to your arrival.

Simply put, game design and balance is rarely an on/off switch. It's simple enough for you to throw out ideas that seem feasible in the short term - however, luckily enough for the rest of us, Riot probably has enough sense to consider the big picture before throwing in haphazard hotfixes that are as likely to backfire as they are to actually fix anything.

Chess435

12-22-2011

I'd personally like to see an AFK queue for players to hop in games with an AFK/leaver. Whenever a player disconnects from a game, it would pull up one of the queued players and give them retroactive gold/levels based on how long the game has been running. In order to motivate players to actually use this queue, give them some bonus IP. This way, games that become 4v5's only are so for a short time.

ShenanigansOKeef

12-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctred View Post
I think the point is that game devs are rarely comfortable with inaction. While it's easy for a random player to come crying on the forums about how they're going to cease shelling out cash if the devs don't do something about some purported issue, the reality is more along of the lines of gtfo and nobody's going to miss you. I personally always get a kick out of "listen to me or I quit" whine threads.
It's not a "listen to me or I quit whine thread", this is a "i'm not gonna keep paying for a broken gamemode" thread, combined with a "here are some simple options to help said gamemode" thread.

Quote:
That isn't to say that the devs don't care one way or the other about their customer base, but more to say that you're delusional if you really think that they aren't already going through any number of scenarios on how to best solve problems that have been brought up a hundred times prior to your arrival.
See there's a bit of a flaw in your logic here--If it's been brought up a hundred time prior to my arrival, don't you think it should have been addressed already?

Quote:
Simply put, game design and balance is rarely an on/off switch. It's simple enough for you to throw out ideas that seem feasible in the short term - however, luckily enough for the rest of us, Riot probably has enough sense to consider the big picture before throwing in haphazard hotfixes that are as likely to backfire as they are to actually fix anything.
I don't see how the more conservative options I suggested are going to break anything, especially the early surrender option.

gnmish

12-22-2011

Some interesting ideas from OP, but most would be potentially open to abuse, esp anything that affects gold, or buffs, i'd say stay away from anything that affects actual game play.

As to a solution, I think its a matter of identifying the main culprits and issuing dominion specific bans for infractions.

ie. If you have a number of substantiated leave/afk reported games in a specific period (48 hours?) you can't play Dominion for that same period. As it is I suspect its the same idiots continually doing it and the only way to fix it is to issue punishments that people will take note of.

ShenanigansOKeef

12-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
I'd personally like to see an AFK queue for players to hop in games with an AFK/leaver. Whenever a player disconnects from a game, it would pull up one of the queued players and give them retroactive gold/levels based on how long the game has been running. In order to motivate players to actually use this queue, give them some bonus IP. This way, games that become 4v5's only are so for a short time.
Have you ever played Call of Duty? The matchmaking in CoD allows people to drop-in to games mid-match, and it is wrought with problems. Like getting put into the final seconds of a game of team deathmatch with one kill remaining and you're on the losing team. Or, my personal favourite, midway through the killcam of the final kill, and you're on the losing team. Unless the losses from this AFK queue didn't count, people would get mad about the potential of getting matched into a game that they have literally no hope of winning.

ShenanigansOKeef

12-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnmish View Post
Some interesting ideas from OP, but most would be potentially open to abuse, esp anything that affects gold, or buffs, i'd say stay away from anything that affects actual game play.

As to a solution, I think its a matter of identifying the main culprits and issuing dominion specific bans for infractions.

ie. If you have a number of substantiated leave/afk reported games in a specific period (48 hours?) you can't play Dominion for that same period. As it is I suspect its the same idiots continually doing it and the only way to fix it is to issue punishments that people will take note of.
I think that's a case of treating the symptom and not the problem. We need to stop it from happening in the first place. If the 3 people who AFK'd in my last 3 games got banned, even permanently, would it stop me from being on the receiving end of such ******baggery in future, from others? Probably not. But if you implemented a system where people who are AFK in champ select get auto-booted, it would potentially allieviate a big percentage in AFKs

Noctred

12-22-2011

Quote:
See there's a bit of a flaw in your logic here--If it's been brought up a hundred time prior to my arrival, don't you think it should have been addressed already?
Logically, there are two possibilities -

1) They really just don't care and are chillin in their cubicles eating Cheetos while the rest of us are raging at leavers and disconnects.

2) They're working through potential solutions but, unfortunately, have not found anything that's structurally sound from all angles. There are many, many historical examples which prove that "ready when it's ready" is superior to "let's push it out so our customers stop complaining".

Glass half empty or half full? Up to you, I guess.

Short of allowing an early surrender or auto-dropping the game before it even starts if somebody is afk at champ selection, everything you mentioned is open to severe abuse and exploitation. AFAIK, there simply is no good way to differentiate a troll who leaves on purpose from a player who has a genuine disconnect, and furthermore to differentiate those from a player who leaves on purpose in order to offer his team some kind of skewed advantage - that's where things like team-wide buffs and mid-game score adjustments can really be exploited, depending on the state of the game at the time the player leaves.