@Riot - I'm a paying customer, but until you fix the AFK problem, I won't be

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShenanigansOKeef

12-22-2011

Last night before bed, even though I knew I should have been getting an early night for work, I thought "ahh heck, I'll just get my first win of the day bonus then go to sleep". I proceeded to play and lose three games, all of which were due to AFKs and leavers. Three matches, in a row, where someone was either AFK all game, or d/c'd pre-game, or was AFK for 10+ mins then came back and proceeded to get roflstomped with the rest of us because the other team had a 10-minute advantage on us.

I am not exaggerating when I say I see more games with AFKs and disconnects than without them. But 3 in a row is a new low for me.

So, as of today, I am not spending any more money on League of Legends, until this problem is resolved. I know I'm only one person so my protest is pretty insignificant, but I really want you guys to understand how frustrating this issue is. It's quite literally a game-ruining experience, and I feel like there are a number of fixes you guys on the dev team could be implementing to allieviate the pain but haven't rolled out for some reason.

I'm not asking you for a lot. Just simple technical things. I'm not asking for a dodge remake. I'm not asking for Magma Chamber. I'm not asking for Project Shiny. I'm just asking for "when X occurs, do Y"

For the record; a lot of these ideas hinge on one crucial implementation that I think should already be in the game;

AFK = BOOTED
If you've been AFK for 3-4 minutes, that's it, you're out. Sorry pal. Seems like a short window, but honestly, 4 minutes is like 20% of a Dominion game, and it's more than enough time for one team to start snowballing. I'd make it 1 minute if I could.

Surrender option enabled after 1 minute from game start if a teammate is AFK

There is NO reason not to have this implemented. It doesn't solve the problem, but it makes it a hell of a lot better than having to wait 5-10 minutes to "Play the Dominion Lottery" again and hope you get a team that's actually there playing the game.

Loss forgiven for games that have AFK from the start
Would work really well with the above option, you shouldn't be punished for being forced to play a 4v5 stompfest.

Lower the score needed to win by 20% for every leaver
My girlfriend suggested this during one of my fits of rage induced by so many leavers. Don't know how well it would work, especially if someone disconnected midway through a game, but it could help for games where there is an AFK from the start.

Gold redistribution for mid-game disconnects
Saw this in another thread, after 3-4 minutes (that's enough time for the game to swing pretty heavily in one teams favour) cut off the reconnection option for the d/c'er or boot any AFKer and share Gold across his team (including the cost of any bought items--the Buy cost, not the Sell cost mind you). It's treating the symptoms and not the cure, but at the very least it would dull the pain of losing a little bit.

Teamwide buffs to compensate for AFK/disconnects
If you lose one team-mate out of a five man team, I say you deserve a 20% buff. If you lose two, 40%. For all stats. Yes, that means if it's down to 1v5 you are an unstoppable juggernaut with an 80% boost to all stats."Oh but that's not balanced!" I don't care. 4v5 isn't balanced.

If you're AFK at champ select, you get booted
Don't do a force lock at the end of the countdown, don't give them a random champion, just boot them. I would rather get booted out of 3 champ select screens at 0 seconds because of AFKs then have to endure 1 guaranteed loss because of an AFK.

Just do it, just implement something. Furthermore, here are my pre-loaded responses to common arguments regarding some of these proposals

"but X isn't balanced" - Neither is playing 4v5

"people will abuse that system to get loss forgiven" - So don't give loss forgiven to the disconnecter, simple as that

"what about people that legimately get d/c'ed and want to reconnect" - Bad luck, queue up for another game, we shouldn't get punished because "Oh, well, they might come back". That logic sucks hard.

There you go Riot, I just did half your job for you. Now all you have to do is apply a hot-fix. Merry Christmas.

Scrubsicle

12-22-2011

>I'm a paying customer

Stop paying them and you can still play. It's like the best of both worlds.

ShenanigansOKeef

12-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubsicle View Post
>I'm a paying customer

Stop paying them and you can still play. It's like the best of both worlds.
You're an idiot. Did you even read my post?

Kuznets

12-22-2011

There was also an option just to increase spawn time to the team with majority players.
+20(25)% for every disconnected enemy
It's not a perfect solution but it's the easiest thing to implement and can help a little bit.

Loss forgiven - not gonna happen because it can be exploited. "We are loosing anyway so I'll just disconnect and all my team/premade not gonna get a loose"

lbgsloan

12-22-2011

Anything that gives teams a reward for an AFK is bad, as people will just dial the rage up to 11 if they have a 'weak' teammate in hopes of getting them to quit.

Enabling early surrender and providing loss forgivness if there's an afk from the start would be to most sensible fixes.

ShenanigansOKeef

12-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuznets View Post
There was also an option just to increase spawn time to the team with majority players.
+20% for every disconnected enemy
It's not a perfect solution but it's the easiest thing to implement and can help a little bit.

Loss forgiven - not gonna happen because it can be exploited. "We are loosing anyway so I'll just disconnect and all my team/premade not gonna get a loose"
Okay, so what if you or anyone in your pre-made quits, you don't get the loss forgiven option. If I'm playing with a 3-man premade on my team and they want to pull that kind of ****, I shouldn't get punished because of it.

ShenanigansOKeef

12-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgsloan View Post
Anything that gives teams a reward for an AFK is bad, as people will just dial the rage up to 11 if they have a 'weak' teammate in hopes of getting them to quit.
That's why I think there should be a different set of circumstances for AFKs and leavers

Tale Feather

12-22-2011

Enjoy your money. If you think Riot is going to listen to one person, have fun with that delusion of grandeur.

Here in reality, the company will fix the issue if/when they know what really to really do about it, if their number projections even state it's a worthwhile fix. (or a feasable fix at all.)

They are playing the numbers on a level you'll never even see.

ShenanigansOKeef

12-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale Feather View Post
Enjoy your money. If you think Riot is going to listen to one person, have fun with that delusion of grandeur.

Here in reality, the company will fix the issue if/when they know what really to really do about it, if their number projections even state it's a worthwhile fix. (or a feasable fix at all.)

They are playing the numbers on a level you'll never even see.
Delusion of grandeur? Do you even know what that means? <redacted>

EDIT--I am really confused here. Why are you defending inaction on an issue that ruins Dominion? Do you not like having fun or something?

EDIT2--I should just stop coming to these forums, it's obviously such a hot bed of intelligent debate. Forget about it. Clearly I'm the only one who doesn't enjoy getting stomped 4v5 for no good reason.

Kuznets

12-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenanigansOKeef View Post
Okay, so what if you or anyone in your pre-made quits, you don't get the loss forgiven option. If I'm playing with a 3-man premade on my team and they want to pull that kind of ****, I shouldn't get punished because of it.
At first it looks fine, but what if one of those 3 premade left not intentionally. According to you those 2 premade left won't get loss forgiven but the other two (not premade) will. In this case it's some kind of discrimination.