Really, Riot Games?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

odbj

12-21-2011

Judging by your name and accusations, you're probably being reported for being a whiny, angsty, shameless would-be know it all. And it looks like they're spot on.

Planken

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2011

Riot runs there customer service like a dictatorship, its either there way or "go fcuk yourself customer"

ZennShade

12-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
I have read and considered your position - but I just disagree.

Ultimately we've intentionally decided to be vague about suspension reasons because we expect that people need to be able to use some judgment and adapt to various social situations to be productive members of the community. If you can't shape your judgment and behavior with the information that we've provided then I have no reason to believe you're going to be able to respond well in the infinite types of social situations that can occur during your League of Legends experience.

Providing a detailed list of what's acceptable and not acceptable will change your judgment. We've found that even when providing people with a detailed list of insight that was used to make a decision - in every single instance they simply tried to argue or disagree with the evidence, or justify their behavior. If someone actually said, "Ah, so that's what I did wrong, I can see how that could be upsetting to people", then actually change - perhaps my opinion would be different.

If you keep spamming your thread in multiple forums, and bumping it, you will likely lose your access to both the game and the forums.
"I get what you're saying and you have a point, I just don't care."

"If you can't figure it out yourself, then you're stupid"

"We punish everyone because despite us saying we have an employee review every single tribunal case which is probably a lot of work, we don't even want to make a little bit of extra effort to explain why you were punished and no matter what, you are always wrong anyways"

"Thinking you have the right to an opinion, regardless of how many people agree with you will get you banned just because we say so."

Summary of the quoted post for those who don't want to get jerked around.

odbj

12-21-2011

Quote:

Ultimately we've intentionally decided to be vague about suspension reasons because we expect that people need to be able to use some judgment and adapt to various social situations to be productive members of the community. If you can't shape your judgment and behavior with the information that we've provided then I have no reason to believe you're going to be able to respond well in the infinite types of social situations that can occur during your League of Legends experience.

Providing a detailed list of what's acceptable and not acceptable will change your judgment. We've found that even when providing people with a detailed list of insight that was used to make a decision - in every single instance they simply tried to argue or disagree with the evidence, or justify their behavior. If someone actually said, "Ah, so that's what I did wrong, I can see how that could be upsetting to people", then actually change - perhaps my opinion would be different.

If you keep spamming your thread in multiple forums, and bumping it, you will likely lose your access to both the game and the forums.
Someone just got bawsed.

Byerley

12-21-2011

Quote:

Please know that a size-able portion of your player-base is completely disgusted with these actions and will be speaking with our wallets. How can you expect us to spend money on your game when you retain the right to terminate access to our virtual property with no justification and no appeal?

Vichar

12-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZennShade View Post
"I get what you're saying and you have a point, I just don't care."

"If you can't figure it out yourself, then you're stupid"

"We punish everyone because despite us saying we have an employee review every single tribunal case which is probably a lot of work, we don't even want to make a little bit of extra effort to explain why you were punished and no matter what, you are always wrong anyways"

"Thinking you have the right to an opinion, regardless of how many people agree with you will get you banned just because we say so."

Summary of the quoted post for those who don't want to get jerked around.
It's odd that you don't think this is a rude thing you posted. Is the momentary satisfaction worth posting things that are unsubstantiated? Do you think people reading your post can't tell you're just being snarky? If that's the case, who are you posting for? Just yourself, right? If that's the case, why not just keep this kind of negativity to yourself? I didn't downvote you, but your downvotes should probably tell you what others think of this kind of behavior.

Pendragon went out of his way to come and respond when he didn't have to. I'm pretty grateful, given that I wasn't getting anywhere with the original poster myself. At least Riot is willing to come out and explain why they do what they do, which is ironically the very subject of this post. And you wonder why they are rethinking that policy. It's because people like you will just take their explanations, twist them around, and willfully misunderstand so you can support your own biased opinion.

Just who do you think you are kidding?

Vichar

12-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinking Violet View Post
Please know that a size-able portion of your player-base is completely disgusted with these actions and will be speaking with our wallets. How can you expect us to spend money on your game when you retain the right to terminate access to our virtual property with no justification and no appeal?
I like your posts SV. They are fair, and I think you bring up a good point.

Pen is saying they tried it, it didn't work out very well. It's a shame that the rude ones have to ruin it for the sincere few that really do deserve to know why they received a suspension.

Actually, if I'm reading them right, every online game's terms of service says they reserve the right to boot you from their servers. It's true that some communities will give you specific reasons for your suspension / ban, but I'm not sure they are obligated to do so. As for an appeal, I notice that Pen mentioned players complaining about their bans a lot--suggesting that Riot is receiving requests to have their case reviewed again. Just because those cases aren't overturned, doesn't mean Riot is not reading them and considering it.

I've spent some money on this game (probably around $150 between gifts to friends and such), and I don't feel any trepidation about doing so again in the future. I haven't received a warning, and I have some degree of faith in my fellow summoners that if I'm falsely reported I'll be exonerated once they read the chat logs.

ZennShade

12-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichar View Post
It's odd that you don't think this is a rude thing you posted. Is the momentary satisfaction worth posting things that are unsubstantiated? Do you think people reading your post can't tell you're just being snarky? If that's the case, who are you posting for? Just yourself, right? If that's the case, why not just keep this kind of negativity to yourself? I didn't downvote you, but your downvotes should probably tell you what others think of this kind of behavior.

Pendragon went out of his way to come and respond when he didn't have to. I'm pretty grateful, given that I wasn't getting anywhere with the original poster myself. At least Riot is willing to come out and explain why they do what they do, which is ironically the very subject of this post. And you wonder why they are rethinking that policy. It's because people like you will just take their explanations, twist them around, and willfully misunderstand so you can support your own biased opinion.

Just who do you think you are kidding?
Oh, it's completely rude. That's a large part of my point. There is a massive portion of fan base who isn't okay with being spoon fed everything Riot tells us, and who quite frankly are sick of the horrible treatment we get as customers. All downvotes say is that there are people who disagree with me. There are always people who will disagree with something that one person or another thinks. It's human nature. Heck, even Pendragon only has 12 upvotes, compared to my 3 downvotes and he's the guy who has the power to and quite plainly stated that bumping of this topic can get you banned just because he feels like it.

Pendragon didn't go out of his way. Responding to things like this is actually part of his job, that he is paid to do. If they gave explanations that were truthful, considerate, and not so close minded and short sighted, myself and a lot of other people would probably be a lot more willing to listen. I don't think that every person from the middle east is a terrorist just because some of them are. I don't think every black person is a thief because some of them are. I don't think all white people are racist because some of them are. So why is it perfectly okay for him to think all people who disagree with him are wrong? And why is it perfectly okay for him to think because everyone isn't willing to admit they were wrong that nobody is? If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. It's that simple, plain as day, flat out. But tell me WHY I was wrong, tell me a legitimate reason why I was wrong. A lot of the reasons people get banned aren't because they were acting that bad, just that some people are overly sensitive. Or, people get banned for just defending themselves.

Case in point, I got banned for for saying two people were sick ****s, as well as perhaps a bit of colorful language. Granted, I broke summoners code and that was wrong of me. But what doesn't get looked at is what they said to me. Part of what they said to me was asking me if I was so bad at this game because my uncle rapes me. Now, would you seriously not be upset even in the slightest? To me, those two guys deserve a lot harsher punishment than I did but my friends checked and those guys were still playing games while I was banned.

NecroticBinder

12-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinking Violet View Post
By "size-able" you mean a small enough portion that no one cares about, especially considering that every other game company can do this. Yes, you and the vocal majority of anti-tribunal trolls all are disgusted by the fact that you get caught.

Vichar

12-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZennShade View Post
Oh, it's completely rude. That's a large part of my point. There is a massive portion of fan base who isn't okay with being spoon fed everything Riot tells us, and who quite frankly are sick of the horrible treatment we get as customers. All downvotes say is that there are people who disagree with me. There are always people who will disagree with something that one person or another things. It's human nature.

Pendragon didn't go out of his way. Responding to things like this is actually part of his job, that he is paid to do. If they gave explanations that were truthful, considerate, and not so close minded and short sighted, myself and a lot of other people would probably be a lot more willing to listen.
It is his job. However, I see lots and lots of posts fly by without a response. This means Pen gets to choose which threads he responds to and which ones he doesn't.

When I read the original poster's thread (this one and the old one), I was disgusted by his tone. If I were Riot, I wouldn't have touched this post with a ten foot pole. This kind of clueless belligerence doesn't deserve a response. That's what I mean by "Pen didn't have to." He really only has to answer the respectful, sincere questions. This is just the original poster getting on a soapbox.