Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Trolling, the Word That Lost it's Meaning.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WHY BRO

12-21-2011

A short story by WHY BRO.

Long ago in a mystical place known as WCGF (Wacraft III General Forum) an astounding ritual came to life. Not only did it use shock and awe tactics but it also worked better than guerrilla warfare. People would intentionally say the wrong information to entice the masses' inevitable rage when they would rush to correct said information. Try as they might, their actions were futile in the presence of these masterminds, for they were one foot in the grave and the other in dog poo. This ritual became known as trolling. The act of intentionally making people angry by coming up with ways to twist information and knowingly get it wrong just to get under peoples' skins that wanted to be know-it-alls.

Sadly, what used to be such a beautiful work of art, trolling has turned into the most over-used and most misunderstand action in the e-gaming community that it insults me every time I see it said. Back in 2001-02 when it was born, I wasn't necessarily a proponent of this pastime but it sure was fun. I did it in my own way, I raged on people for no reason at all! This even made me famous or should I say, infamous! No one ever called me "troll" nor did they say I was "trolling." They just stood in disbelief as I crammed 52 insults in less than 30 seconds while playing an RTS that required, which I consider, much more skill than LoL. No, not DOTA, ladder.
Back to the story now...

...Trolling and how it lost it's meaning I have yet to understand. It used to have purpose, it used to have one solid definitive meaning that everyone recognized and agreed upon. There were no if's and's or but's when it came to what's what in trolling, everyone already knew. Now in this environment, it's wildly misused and never interpreted properly. To even think about giving suggestions would make my heart wail in agony due to how irrelevant they are and no one where near the real definition of what was once great.
When it first came to be and the following years that ensued, I was strongly against it. Not the performance people on, those were great, but the name they gave it; trolling. To troll, that troll, he's trolling, they're trolling, she got trolled, etc. Such a disgusting word to put on the face of a brilliant conversational tactic by people who weren't trying to be suit&tie super serious gamers 24/7. However, it suck.

What really concerns me and people around the world is simply this... how did it lose it's real meaning? Since when did doing anything that someone didn't want you to do made YOU a troll? Made ME or him or her or them a troll? Look, that dog just raised his leg to urinate all over that fire hydrant but missed and hit the sidewalk! That dog's a troll!
It's disheartening to see what I didn't like in it's golden age turn out to be something still delightfully enjoyable to do be misused so poorly. Just about 99% of the time this generation labels any and every thing a troll. Honestly, slap yourself so I don't have to! It's embarrassing to see gamers not know what trolling is and just going with the flow of ignorance but Riot employees as well? Degrading! You of all people should set the record straight (assuming you were even around when trolling birthed) rather than being apart of the flock cawing "trawl trawl trawl!"

In closing, please learn what the hell it means and not sling it around as if using it will make you friends or gain favoritism with game employees. It just makes you look silly as well as them if they go along with it.
No, I won't post an "inb4 trolling." My ego is too big for that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 11: Edit Post

You're simultaneously trying to agree to my proposition while being in the same boat i'm trashing.

Trolling isn't to cause displeasure to others on purpose. It's to have fun and laughs because you know you're wrong and people continuously try to argue with the correct answer.

Jebus, this community is worse off than I thought. Tribunal takes it one step further with all the bunk reports of "trolling." No one on this game knows how to troll or what it is. Much less do they need to report for it.
The report clearly says grieving, not trolling. There are no such thing as troll builds, strategies, harassment, etc. There's bad mannering, wrong builds, test builds, bad strategies, bad builds, etc.

EDUCATION: Get some LoL community. I'm sick of seeing this ignorant group of people have power to ban for all the wrong reasons and then be rewarded for it.

@Riot: You make money off of this game. Do not lose customers because have the power to ban at will for the smallest of things. Blizzard killed their player base in WC3 For neglecting the multitude of hackers (A REAL PROBLEM) and balance issues. Blizzard took it another step further with making World of Warcraft so easy a 90 year old can pick it up in a day.
My point is, don't be like Blizzard and cater to the wrong reasons and ignore the real problems. Don't take the money and run. Before Activision bought out Blizzard, they were the top game company in the world. Now they're just money mongers who ban left and right.

Verbal abuse is easily avoided in game. Mute player.
Foul language is easily avoided in game. Language filter.
If people refuse to use these in-game options, they are willingly being "abused/harassed." Period! It's their fault for not ignoring people who are trashing them. It's their fault for not turning on language filter if it offends them (God forbid the 12-year-old hears what his arguing parents say 24/7 and friends/teachers at school).

Real ban offenses: Intentionally feeding, purposely AFK, telling enemy where your team is (never had it happen) and so on. Getting banned for talking is violation of freedom of speech. Unconstitutional as we, Americans, cherish this country more than our communist neighbors around the world.
Yes, there are more than American players that do not share such freedoms, should we be punished for their countries' laws? No. Plain and simple. Made in America, play it like an American.
Am I spouting Nationalism? Yes. Why? Simply because we might not always have these rights as they're slowly being withered down with each passing bill.

Take it to heart Riot. This IS just a game, but it's also a company. You can't keep everyone happy but at the same time you can't treat your player-base like Guantanamo bay inmates. People can avoid situations on this game a lot easier than in general population prison. Remember, people might not have a strong heart or strong will, but if they're so offended then maybe it's their fault and not who they are reporting.

In some cases people do bad manner for no reason. Even if someone is playing good they will still talk trash and run their mouth. Team trash talking is not fun, I agree, but to some extent it's motivation to play better. Talking trash to enemy team should be accepted, I mean let's face, COMPETITIVE GAMING!

Racism? Grow up. Honestly. It's always going to exist. Show me one person banned for "racially abusing" a white player. I challenge you to do it. How many white players are insulted by cracker or honky? None. Why? Because it's no offensive.
How many people get banned for making fun of black/asian/hispanic players? Thousands.

Is this not reverse racism? Is this not favoritism? There needs to be a ground breaking moral precedent set to make people realize that only white players can be banned for "racial slurs." Am I a racist? No, you can be polkadotted for all I care. Will I still say n!gga? Of course, where I grew up it's a word of endearment. Interchangeable with the word friend.

Free your mind fellow players, stop being yellow belly softies and play a competitive game like a competitive player should. Stop begging for a report every game. Stop reporting for minor offenses. Stop banning players for defending insults from other players!

This madness has to stop.

WHY BRO

12-21-2011

Forgot my sources.
†God told me to write this†

TheAirInTheFair

12-21-2011

Just another troll.

WHY BRO

12-21-2011

Quote:
TheAirInTheFair:
Just another troll.

I knew my examples would show up sooner rather than later. Thus, no need to post them in my story!

Come fellow ignorant players, need moar eckzampills.

Crawkits

12-21-2011

Yeah, it's disappointing to see the biggest generation of e-gamers ever not know how to use the term which represents one of the most fun activities in all of ever.

WHY BRO

12-21-2011

Quote:
fattshoo:
Yeah, it's disappointing to see the biggest generation of e-gamers ever not know how to use the term which represents one of the most fun activities in all of ever.

E-Depressing indeed. What will ever come of this tragedy? We must find out!

Kite911

12-21-2011

+1

Demerol

Recruiter

12-21-2011

You know why they call it xbox 360......

TheRamenBandit

12-21-2011

and dolphins ejaculate at 180mph

The Stormchaser

12-21-2011

-slow clap-