Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Riot- Matchmaking, yes its been said before.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LesserNemesis

12-21-2011

I know this has been brought up before but its really frustrating when this is going on. YES i know everyone goes through it.

Why does riot have matchmaking set up so that when you start doing really well they put lower and lower elo people on your team? Why not put better people on your team and put you up against better people?

I AM NOT SAYING IM EVEN A GOOD PLAYER. with that said im sure there has to be better players than myself and enough of them to make a team.. i would not mind waiting 5 mins + for a match like that.

instead i wait 1 min and have people for the most part who havent played the champ they picked or dont under stand dom.

just asking when i go on a 16 game win streak why do i have to have a 10 game lose streak?

Plz anyone from riot tell me why you put more and more lower elo players on a team with someone on a win streak?

PrimalHatred

12-21-2011

This is one of those absurd myths that people perpetuate because they're not interested in looking at the whole picture. During your win streak there were probably a lot of sub-par players on the opposing teams (hence you were wrecking face). Then your lucky streak ends and they end up on your team for a bit instead of the opposing team. It happens.

That and as a player wins they go up in ELO and face more challenging opponents. And people are much better at blaming their team than themselves for losses.

RealWolf M

12-21-2011

Primal, that sounds correct but it actually isn't.

I have had plenty of win streaks against decent opponents, then for some reason been put with people who rush lichbane, who build alistar as a glass cannon, who don't build a tear on Ryze, and I lose hard. Doesn't matter what I do, for some reason at a certain point I get grouped with people who are SIMPLY BAD.

Best proof of this is to queue with a 4man premade. Instead of matching you against strong opponents, or solo queue very strong opponents, we get a complete ****** put on our team who doesn't know how his skills work, plays very bad, doesn't do anything useful. This is not just a one off, this is a very very common situation, and 4mans are about being able to carry a useless player more than facing a stronger team.

Sure there are times you get put with decent players, but why you aren't always put with decent players I do not know

Sauron

12-21-2011

Matchmaking doesn't mathematically do anything to put low Elo players on your team when you have won a lot. When you queue as a premade, it just takes your average ratings, weights the highest the most, gives you a flat boost, then looks for fillers of the net range, and then go against a team of that range. Ergo, you will actually get higher rated randoms on your team when you premade. The "carry effect" is just a name given to the (likely) coincidence where you get a retаrd that ends a streak.

The real problem is, Elo is a terrible system for team games unless entire teams are forced to use one single rating (i.e. Guild Wars). People move out of their proper ranges all the time due to being carried, due to leavers, or due to any combination of allies/enemies being already out of their skill range. Stupidity exists at all levels, and your win streak no doubt had plenty of bad players on the enemy teams that you just simply ignored.

LesserNemesis

12-21-2011

Quote:
PrimalHatred:
This is one of those absurd myths that people perpetuate because they're not interested in looking at the whole picture. During your win streak there were probably a lot of sub-par players on the opposing teams (hence you were wrecking face). Then your lucky streak ends and they end up on your team for a bit instead of the opposing team. It happens.

That and as a player wins they go up in ELO and face more challenging opponents. And people are much better at blaming their team than themselves for losses.

the boldened part is what i have actually said in my OP... i said everyone goes through it. meaning that ppl on the other team had to go through it when i was winning. plzread the post b4 responding. i do like that you commented it would just make the discussion better if the post was read first. thank you.

LesserNemesis

12-21-2011

Quote:
Sauron:
Matchmaking doesn't mathematically do anything to put low Elo players on your team when you have won a lot. When you queue as a premade, it just takes your average ratings, weights the highest the most, gives you a flat boost, then looks for fillers of the net range, and then go against a team of that range. Ergo, you will actually get higher rated randoms on your team when you premade. The "carry effect" is just a name given to the (likely) coincidence where you get a retаrd that ends a streak.

The real problem is, Elo is a terrible system for team games unless entire teams are forced to use one single rating (i.e. Guild Wars). People move out of their proper ranges all the time due to being carried, due to leavers, or due to any combination of allies/enemies being already out of their skill range. Stupidity exists at all levels, and your win streak no doubt had plenty of bad players on the enemy teams that you just simply ignored.

Again i have not ignored that . one of the very first lines i wrote is about how everyone goes through it. on both sides. plz read the post b4 responding. AGAIN i like that you posted but it just makes you seem irrelevant saying things that i have not said and not reading things i have. thank you though.

Sauron

12-21-2011

Quote:
LesserNemesis:
Again i have not ignored that . one of the very first lines i wrote is about how everyone goes through it. on both sides. plz read the post b4 responding. AGAIN i like that you posted but it just makes you seem irrelevant saying things that i have not said and not reading things i have. thank you though.

If you have not ignored it, then your question has answered itself.

The LORD saves

12-21-2011

Not a myth. I pay very close attention to my opponents. I have over 40 wins over losses despite this rubber banding of matched allies. Almost all of my losses come from solo queue blind mode. Draft mode is not matched as absurdly (nobody looking for a quick match picks draft). Duo queue with a player of equal skill or lower level results in a greater than 75% win rate for me. Interestingly, the folks I duo queue with have the same result.

When you get enough wins in a row you are matched with:
1. People who simply don't have any idea how to play dominion or
2. Are entirely new at their champs (meaning they know how to play dominion [though not well] but only play it to get better at their champion for summoner's rift).

They have no problem admitting it, and they shouldn't because they don't choose who they get matched with.

We'll know what's really happening when ranked comes out, so we can see who has this problem and who doesn't.

LesserNemesis

12-21-2011

Quote:
Sauron:
If you have not ignored it, then your question has answered itself.

my question is WHY DOES RIOT DO THAT. not does it happen... so no it does not answer itself. .. . . .. . .. . . .

Kuznets

12-21-2011

I'm wondering why I don't see such topics:

"Why does riot have matchmaking set up so that when you start doing really bad they put higher and higher elo people on your team?"

"just asking when i go on a 10 game loose streak why do i have to have a 16 game win streak?"

You see only what you want to see.
During my win streaks I've checked all the enemies’ stats and they were fine. (similar win% to mine and comparable number of games). So if I lost it was not because of any MM punishments. Did you do this before posting?

MM is far from perfect, that's true but its only job is to match people of the same skill level (elo I guess). It's not punishing anyone for getting win streaks (based on my observation and some tests).
And like you and other players I had winning and losing streaks.

P.S. You'd better talk to Nekrogen who has more than 200 wins over looses. He'll tell you about winning streaks)