Dominion and Summoner Spells

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ViolentlyCar

12-21-2011

Something that I've noticed lately is that a lot of people are frustrated with summoner spells on Dominion. Here are my thoughts on why:

Summoner spells and knowledge

The big issue with summoner spells is that they are very strong, but very unpredictable. The only summoner spell use you can accurately predict is the first one. You can also guess that around the 5:30 minute mark, players will have their spells up again. Beyond this, though, you can't really know if your opponent has their spells up. This lack of knowledge leads skilled players to be more passive and non-confrontational when their own spells are down, as they risk losing a fight that would have otherwise been favourable for them. I don't think this fits very well with Dominion's fast, aggressive style. When you engage in one of those fights, and you lose to a summoner spell, you're left with the feeling that you got cheated.

The obvious offender here is exhaust. Exhaust is practically a free fight win every three and a half minutes unless your opponent can counter with their own exhaust or cleanse, but I don't think what I'm talking about is exclusive to exhaust. The crux is that many fights are going to be defined by an unknowable quality. Whether it's exhaust, surge, heal, or any of the other combat summoners, these abilities are very impactful when only one player has access to them. Also, as WaterD103 correctly pointed out to me, Dominion is considerably more chaotic than Summoner's Rift. On Summoner's Rift, you can ask the people in the lane which summoner spells the opponent has up, and they'll probably know. On Dominion, due to the chaotic gameplay, this knowledge gets lost very easily. Add the fact that there is no way of knowing which specific opponent used exhaust or ignite (unless you mouse over the status bar icon to see the source mid fight, or you die and get to look at death recap), that means you should assume that each other enemy in the fight still has their exhaust up, which makes aggressive play even harder.

This doesn't really apply to non-combat spells, since their effects are well-defined and hard to miss, but revive is the only one that's used on Dominion (though I think clairvoyance is underrated).

Summoner spells and big plays

This one is more of a personal feeling issue. Imagine this: you're reinforcing a point where all your teammates just died, and three of your opponents are still alive but have very low health. You get in there trying to make the big play and clean up everyone and... you get exhausted. You kill none of them and get destroyed. That feels so terrible. This goes back to the feeling of being cheated - you had this moment to have an emotional high and have a hero moment, and one summoner spell took it away. The suspense for the other players is also reduced, since they know they have a security net. A lot of the emotions are deflated by the spell, and that really stinks.

This situation is not implausible. I've had this happen to me many times, I've done it to plenty of people (as one of the larger group), and I've seen it happen to others. It's a mood spoiler. It's not fun. You can argue the balance up and down, but ultimately, we play games for fun, and I think the gameplay of summoner spells is taking away more fun than it adds in these situations.

What do we do?

Whenever someone makes a thread like this, they often suggest a solution to the issue. So, what do we do to fix this problem? The issue is, I have no idea. Summoner spells are so deeply ingrained in League of Legends that they are not going anywhere. They just straight up don't fit Dominion's pace and knowledge availability, so I really don't see where we go from here. Does anyone else have thoughts?

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2011

I suggest that we get a hud like in spectator mode, so all players involved in the game can see what champs have what summoner spells up or down.
Regardless of this I would like to see what champs are dead on the hud so I don't have to play half the time with the tab-key pressed.

FDru

12-21-2011

I once was laning against a Corki at bot, I think I was Graves but not sure. Our exhaust cooldowns were staggered somehow, and we just ended up killing eachother in epic duels every time one of them came off cooldown. Obviously, the exhausted one lost every time. This went on for the entire game and it just felt lame.

Most of the champs I play are very vulnerable to ignite so that's also a pretty big one for me. I hate not being able to engage in what would otherwise be a close fight (or a win) just because I don't know if their ignite is ready.

I agree with both of WaterD's suggestions.

Youniverse

12-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentlyCar View Post
You kill none of them and get destroyed. That feels so terrible.
I do this all the time. and it even feels more terrible when no summoner spells were involved tee hee

Taenaryn

12-21-2011

I treat summoner spells as a bonus, not a requirement. I don't even bother paying attention to their spells until it hits me. I often forget to use mine (getting better at that) but even then, I DON'T count on the spell to win me the fight. If I don't think I'll win the fight by myself, I'm sure as heck not going to go in expecting Exhaust or Ignite to win it for me. Maybe high-elo players play like that, but I never claimed to be high-elo.

But with my outlook and use of spells, I never feel that emotional turmoil you're talking about. *shrugs* Your mileage may vary of course.

NothingLeft2Lose

12-21-2011

I doubt skilled people would agree with you since u prob dont know about 'baiting' people to waste their spells. Thats just one of many aspects Id like to mention. In the end, taking away summoner's spells will just lower the already low skillcap even more.

Ascleph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLeft2Lose View Post
In the end, taking away summoner's spells will just lower the already low skillcap even more.
wtf?

CronBags

01-15-2012

Summoner spells are what make League of Legends unique to the other MOBA's. If they were changed in any way only for dominion then the classic summoners rift players would start complaining. It's really a lose-lose for Riot if they decided to change them so I really can't see anything happening to them.

Ardnalis

01-15-2012

Could just make it so on tab you can see if its on CD or not. No indicator of how long until it is up, just a simple greyed out/full color box.

DevilHorn

01-15-2012

But.... the reverse is true for your opponents.........