Storm Shield, Who gets it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

crzymdscntst

12-20-2011

EDIT: I was misinformed when I made this post, however the priority of who gets the buff is still rather accurate. If someone is carrying your team, they should have priority on more "free" survivability and damage. After that is anyone who can more accurately deal the damage the second it pops up.
---------

I don't think it's clear how it works to some people, so the question is "Who gets it?"

Overall, you need to evaluate a few things in your team, before anyone lays claim to getting it.

Look at the champ skills of everyone on your team. Each champion's skills is a prime example of if they should get it or not. How so?

For the damage portion of the Storm Shield, it is triggered every 4 damage pings or so. This means that a champion who has skills like Tristana's R, a single target, 1 damage ping skill, will not trigger it so well. But lets take a look at Tristana's other skills. Her E is a DoT (Damage over Time) skill, which means that it gets more pings of damage for it's single cast, and thus should alone trigger the Storm Shield at least once by itself. Tristana's W, eh, might not be so good, it's AoE, however that's still one block of damage sometimes. And her Q, well that's Attack Speed, better attack speed means more hits.

So in terms of optimal Tristana's Skills say she's about 40% optimal. Other champs that follow this catagory, Teemo, his poison pings, and his passive AS after steath means that 3/5 of his skills are useful for triggering the damage portion.

So we've analyzed the basic skills. What now? Storm Shield also is what it says it is, a shield. If the champion who wants to use it is super squishy and can use it to cover their defenses, a few questions arise. Can they utilize it's damage portion, if not, they probably shouldn't prioritize it if another teammate can and will utilize it better. (That's the key factor, if you team doesn't get it, why not?) A big issue with a squishy champ getting it, is if they die quick, at this point they will have wasted it.

It might be tempting to get that shield on a tank, but my advice: Don't. There will be exceptions to this advice. If the tank has a Sunfire Cape, Thornmail and can damage the enemy at a frequent rate through those, by all means, however if it's Cho'Gath building Gunblade, FoN and Rylai's... well, frankly, he's not going to utilize anything but the shield to it's high-end potential.

So who takes priority above all else? The carry. The simple fact of the matter is, that if Olaf has not captured a single point, yet has 15 kills and 3 deaths, he might find it to his liking. As he's obviously very battle hungry, this Olaf will seek out enemies and do his job. This keeps them off your back while you're capturing points. With more defense and damage, a champ like Olaf can take out more enemies. However at the same time, you should note point captures with more heed before saying Olaf gets it. Say you also have a Miss Fortune on your team, she's got the skills that say she's your gal for getting the Storm Shield for the damage portion. Defense for her is really helpful. Multi-targeting, AoE, lets say she has 14 kills and 13 deaths, but 5 points and 7 neutralizes. In this case, she should have dibs on the whole Storm Shield claim. Not because she's got a lot of kills, but because she's going for difficult points and in doing so, neutralizing enemies. With her damage output raised and her Defense up a bit, she can more easily do such.

So, I've skipped one crucial detail here in who gets the storm shield. Items. Some items, simply do not qualify for anything useful pertaining to the Storm Shield. Others have more use behind them than they seem.

So which items are the best for the Storm Shield Statwise; AS, Bonus Damage, Defense and Magic Pen.

So which items hit the top of that que:
1. Wit's End
2. Ionic Spark
3. Phantom Dancer (This item is number 1 when the character has hard CC to pair with it)
4. Malady
5. Kitae's Bloodrazor
6. Most other AS items
7. Entropy
8. Sunfire Cape
9. Thornmail
10. Flat Magic Pen Items

Executioner's Calling (if it still applied DoT) would be on this list under Entropy. SotD has the best AS, adds extra damage, and has armor pen, however the damage that the storm shield deals is magic, so it's active simply places it with the other AS items at 6.

What's the reasoning behind this list? Wit's End and Ionic Spark both boost AS, have defense, add extra damage per hit, Ionic spark would be better were it not for the damage per hit being every 4 hits. Otherwise, it's effect is the same as the Storm Shield's, thus would be very effective doubled up. Phantom Dancer is a Crit item, the strength of crit items is very high when paired with defense you don't have to build. It's AS is what puts it on this list, it's movespeed is more defense or chasing power. Malady reduces the MR of enemy struck, so the storm shield's damage does more damage. being AS and bonus damage just boosts it up there. Kitae's Bloodrazor, another AS item with bonus damage, this one being higher than other AS items because it adds AD and it's damage is based on your opponent, thus it's stronger when it needs to be. AS items are a given for a reason. Entropy, Defense and an active that's a DoT, essentially allowing more pings of the storm shield to be triggered more effectively. Sunfire cape and thornmail are situational at best, they allow tanks to utilize the shield when wanted and when it would be a bit better. Magic pen items, again, let the damage ping to hit for more.

------

SO overall lets sum it up, "Who gets it" in order of priority (top to bottom)

1. The Carry, the person doing the most for your team. (Points are a good ruling point, but be wary of a Martyr spammer, I.E. Feeder, who only has those points from that)
  2. Champs with AS that utilize their skills with it.
  3. Champs with AS as a priority investment.
  4. Champs with skills that utilize it.
  5. Champ with survivability issues that does decent amount of damage pings
  6. Tank with Sunfire and Thornmail (the second being a tank with taunt)
  7. Champs with survivability issues shouldn't consider it a lifesaver, but it will help them deliver their damage before getting smashed or soaking a lot of damage for the rest of the team while dealing that damage.

I might have missed something, if I did, feel free to yell at me over it, or just calmly let me know.

TL;DR: Well frankly, the first part is the reasoning, see list just above this.

crzymdscntst

12-20-2011

That second list was numbered, dang numbers turning to dots.

I wrote this simply because sometimes I see a person who can't utilize it getting the shield, and it bugs me.

Necks

12-20-2011

...I clicked this thread expecting a one line question.

It was a trap.

Ryzol Ryzo Ryz R

12-20-2011

I think you should keep in mind that giving it to bottom could be a good idea. Generally bottom with storm shield should beat bottom without storm shield.

FDru

12-20-2011

Doesn't matter who gets it. What matters is that it's being used and not sitting in the middle of the map doing nothing.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the damage proc is only time delayed. It always triggers on the first attack that does damage, and then can't trigger again for a few seconds.

PrimalHatred

12-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
Doesn't matter who gets it. What matters is that it's being used and not sitting in the middle of the map doing nothing.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the damage proc is only time delayed. It always triggers on the first attack that does damage, and then can't trigger again for a few seconds.
I'm pretty sure that this is correct.

nukular power

12-20-2011

I think you are overanalyzing it. IMO whoever has the longest range, shortest cd, most reliable poke should get it. IE cass over any melee, corki over sivir, etc

ColdFireBeast

12-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzol Ryzo Ryz R View Post
I think you should keep in mind that giving it to bottom could be a good idea. Generally bottom with storm shield should beat bottom without storm shield.
Bottom would actually be a terrible idea. It'd be completely wasted unless you set up a gank. All the other bottom has to do is back off and not fight for a minute or so. Bam, the entire shield is gone.

Hobocop

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2011

Having it bottom isn't a terrible idea. If they back off and don't fight you, they're basically just letting you have free farm and build up a big minion wave to assault their point, which can mean a free neutralize for you if you have Promote.

Kuznets

12-20-2011

I'd give it to any melee dps(or tanky melee dps) for a team fight somewhere in the jungle. He will use both attack and shield bonuses pretty guaranteed.

In case of defending or pushing a tower I'd give it to someone like ez, pirate etc. Spam q to anyone who is sitting at the tower or approaching your tower and he'll receive tons of damage every 4 sec from 1100 distance.

Buffs are also pretty powerful on invisible characters like shako or eve. (Though shako can't effectively use his clone then)

Assasins like ap poopy, le blank, talon can also use buff to kill an enemy using 1 spell/skill combo.

So in every game you should consider what buff usage is more important for your team. Pretty good topic btw.