League of Legends on an Xbox Controller!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ursalgodon

07-11-2010

So I recently discovered a program called JoytoKey. It's a program that allows a gamepad or joystick to press mapped keys on the keyboard. What this means is that any game that only accept input from a keyboard can still be played with a gamepad, if the mechanics allow. Fortunately, there are plenty of USB Xbox 360 controllers in the house which worked perfectly.

I tried it on League of Legends, of course. The game was unnecessarily difficult, but still a lot of fun.

As for controls, I had to map the most important functions from League onto the limited number of buttons available. The d-pad and the triggers aren't considered buttons, apparently, so I couldn't use those.

I mapped QWER to ABXY, the mouse to the left joystick, left and right clicks to the left and right joystick buttons, summoner spells to left and right shoulder buttons, recall to the back button, and the shop to the start button. I turned on camera locking so I didn't have to worry about stupid camera controls. Perhaps someone can suggest a better layout?

I played a practice game against bots with Udyr, with ghost and heal, so that I didn't have to target anyone except to right click. The game wasn't unplayable, and the new challenge made it quite entertaining.

I'm posting this to tell you about what I've done, but also because I think it'd be awesome to play a practice game with 9 other people doing the same thing. If you want to play a game with me using this brand new interface, let me know! All you need is a USB controller, but the ones with sticks work best. I'll try to get a game together tomorrow night.

Try it! It's fun.

Pantsizonfire

07-11-2010

... interesting.

Zeuxis

07-11-2010

Sounds fun, especially since I like the rightclick hero udyr.

Demiorkan

07-11-2010

Really Nice! Post a video :P

Jig McGalliger

01-20-2011

I've been working on coding my xbox controller using auto hot key, I've been working on tweaks to get the left stick to to move around the cursor at a speed that works well, different champs and different play styles, might need different changes in mouse speed or acceleration threshold and scaling.

I wanted to make the controls on the controller just as simplified as they are in the game. My right stick will be coded to the arrow keys to scroll around instantly (i haven't tested anything in game, just working on coding now) A, B, X, Y and Q, W, E, R respectively and my left and right bumpers are summoner spells D and F respectively.

The triggers are a little more trickey, as they are recognized as a "Z axis" and not a "button" by the operating system. I am working to make my right and left trigger essentially left and right clicking respectively. The coding will be a threshold of the axis, pulling the left trigger all the way makes the axis measure 0 and pulling right trigger makes it measure 100% (50% at reasting and 50% with both pulled completely) so the way to make this is "if joyz < 25% then mouseclick2" for right click, "if joyz > 75% then mouseclick1" for left click; the syntax is different for ANSCII code. These thresholds, 25 and 75% is so any "half tigger pulls" will still give you the click to need, the threshold % could be different, if i find it to work better after my 1st in game test.

Now that is all the main controls but there are smaller things that are neccessary like shop, recall, pings (ctrl+click), S (stop), and maybe self cast (for things like shields and heals). There are a few standard controls left on the controller, and then almost any number of multi-button controls (probably won't need but this is for anyone to do with what they please). The controls left are the D-pad, which the OS calls it a point of view hat with 8 directions that can be programmed (only 4 would probably need to be used unless you want smart/self cast mapping); the right stick button and left stick button, and last the start and select buttons. I havent tried to program the xbox guide button.

These controls could all be subject to change depending on user preferences but I would probably use start button for recall, select for shop, with my left stick move cursor and is already over enemy the obviously awesome choice would be to make left stick button my ping so i can mark enemies with total ease, and the toughest part but what I really think the most functional part is the D-pad (using 4 directions) to be the F keys that look at your allies. F1, F2, F3, F4 are down, right, left, up respectively, now what is a great combo button code is to have the allies you're camera lock to, also selects him for a cast of the spell button you press on the ally you have locked (for anything castable on a teammate)

This will take a while to code, ill make a post on a my finished. I have seen other posts but no code for auto hot key and leagues. I would love to see some code other people have tried, post me any link if you know of some.

Search The Cîty

01-20-2011

Xbox controller + mapping program + select miss fortune + bind all buttons to right click + ????? = Profit

kingluken

01-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig McGalliger View Post
These controls could all be subject to change depending on user preferences but I would probably use start button for recall, select for shop, with my left stick move cursor and is already over enemy the obviously awesome choice would be to make left stick button my ping so i can mark enemies with total ease, and the toughest part but what I really think the most functional part is the D-pad (using 4 directions) to be the F keys that look at your allies. F1, F2, F3, F4 are down, right, left, up respectively, now what is a great combo button code is to have the allies you're camera lock to, also selects him for a cast of the spell button you press on the ally you have locked (for anything castable on a teammate)
I have seen other posts but no code for auto hot key and leagues. I would love to see some code other people have tried, post me any link if you know of some.
well jig its actually AutoHotkey one word haha
if you wanna use button combos for things like mia, tab, activated items, etc, so u can keep your hands on the controller read this ahk script here.
Code:
#InstallKeybdHook 
SendMode event
#UseHook 
Hotkey, f13, Shen
Hotkey, f14, Sona
Sona:
    GetKeyState, state, ctrl, P
    if state = D
;go do the sexy sona dance
return
Shen:
    GetKeyState, state, ctrl, P
    if state = D
;som sorda shen thing
return
f12::ExitApp 
f8::
sendinput {Enter}
sleep 80
sendinput Zip up them pants BOY!!!
sleep 80
sendinput {Enter}
sleep 80
sendinput {g Down}
sleep 80
sendinput {g up}
return
#UseHook off
~s & h::send {f13}
~s & o::send {f14}
as for the whole f1 to f4 thing u were saying i think you are confused.
i believe hitting those keys wont lock on rather follow them as long as you hold the key; i also believe riot already implemented a sort of auto cast when you hold the friendly champs fkey when hitting the spell key of a spell capable of friendly casting. so an ahk script like this should work if you map 4 keys for four teammates and f5 for a release key. (you could also have that release key be your center camera on self key probably by binding it in lol and putting "~f5::" )
Code:
#InstallKeybdHook 
SendMode event
#UseHook 
f5::
    GetKeyState, state, f1, P
    if state = D
sendinput {f1 up}
    GetKeyState, state, f2, P
    if state = D
sendinput {f2 up}
    GetKeyState, state, f3, P
    if state = D
sendinput {f3 up}
    GetKeyState, state, f4, P
     if state = D
 sendinput {f4 up}
return
f1::
       if state = D
   sendinput {f2 up}
    GetKeyState, state, f3, P
     if state = D
 sendinput {f3 up}
       if state = D
   sendinput {f4 up}
sendinput {f1 down}
return

f3::
    GetKeyState, state, f1, P
     if state = D
 sendinput {f1 up}
      if state = D
  sendinput {f2 up}
      if state = D
  sendinput {f4 up}
sendinput {f3 down}
return
;...

kingluken

01-24-2011

so i was wrong about the friendly casting thing. you cant hit the spell key while the f(key) is held rather hit the spell then the f(key). if you are interested in having hotkeys to lock onto teammates and auto cast spells on whichever champion is currently locked read this thread i posted http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...04#post5655104

Runori

08-06-2011

sounds difficult i wanna try it but it just sounds way to hard if i get a conteroller setup i would probably do it but as of late idk

Buisiness

08-06-2011

Riot should do controller support. make the right stick control the cursor, and make the left stick control the champion movement.