Why doesn't Riven have mana?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Neonir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2011

I'm not saying she's at all OP for it, I'm just curious.

Actually, for that matter, why doesn't Kat? She does just as much damage as other mages, has almost as much harass as well as as much burst, why do neither of these two champions have mana?

Garen I can kinda understand, because he doesn't harass, so he shouldn't really be restricted in his ability to do that, but even then...

With the champions that use Rage, overheat or health, it's understandable, but just no mana?

Again, I'm not saying they're OP because of it, I just want to know what spurred riot into making these champions in a way that means they don't have mana.

elevator13

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2011

Kat lacks CC, which kinda balances her out not having any mana. As for Riven, I think she doesn't have a resource system because her passive already gives a "flow" to her combat, kind of like champs with alternate resource systems like Rumble or Renekton.

Shadowfox426

12-18-2011

To create different types of play styles between champs. Mana vs Rage vs Managing Cooldowns and so on and what not...

Neonir

12-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox426 View Post
To create different types of play styles between champs. Mana vs Rage vs Managing Cooldowns and so on and what not...
But you have to manage cooldowns with mana too.

Blitz for example, has huge cooldowns, if I dont have max CDR I find myself constantly saying "Gah! All my abilities are always down!" when I miss a kill.

anu mara

12-18-2011

Because she is based on fighting game type playstyle. and for fighting games they only have energy systems for "power moves"/whatever, thus her passive.

Yegs

12-18-2011

Still manage everything from Riven's Cd and her passive count. To mana.
Riot is probably just looking to be diverse, not have just 100% mana users.

Razzor411

Recruiter

12-18-2011

Take it logicaly why would you need mana to throw a dager to jump to someone or to sping as katarina or to jump with a blade scream and dash and get a big sword as Riven that doeasnt require mana in real life but why Garen doeasnt have mana he empowers his blade to silence you he gains a shield out of no where and summones a huge blade from the sky that requires mana

Angry Steak

12-18-2011

If memory serves, she originally (before release) had mana. It was decided later that it would be one too many resource demands to pay attention to and that her playstyle was suited better for straight cooldowns. Her shield also supports this by scaling with AD so she has incentive and reward for building damage instead of tanky-dps.

Ownmyship

12-18-2011

xyph has mentioned why he didnt want to put mana on riven, he said there are many things with riven that demand your atention and adding mana to it would just be to much

Rhiiba

12-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonir View Post
Garen I can kinda understand, because he doesn't harass, so he shouldn't really be restricted in his ability to do that, but even then...
Are we playing the same game?