"E-sports"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

pika7

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2011

i have nothing against "esports" or "cyberathletes", but the terms sound a little comical to me.
so i just dont use them.

but the guy who said the usage of words is not static is 100% correct. words mean what people think they mean.

krflol

12-18-2011

way to google it and take only the first definition.

noun /spôrt/ 
sports, plural

An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment
- team sports such as baseball and soccer
- a sports center

Entertainment; fun
- it was considered great sport to trip him up

A source of amusement or entertainment
- I do not wish to show myself the sport of a man like Williams

A person who behaves in a good or specified way in response to teasing, defeat, or a similarly trying situation
- go on, be a sport!
- Angela's a bad sport

An animal or plant showing abnormal or striking variation from the parent type, esp. in form or color, as a result of spontaneous mutation

verb /spôrt/ 
sported, past participle; sported, past tense; sporting, present participle; sports, 3rd person singular present

Wear or display (a distinctive or noticeable item)
- he was sporting a huge handlebar mustache

Amuse oneself or play in a lively, energetic way
- the children sported in the water

ZZZappy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-18-2011

Chess is classified as a sport and is recognized as a sport by the International Olympic Committee. If chess can be classified as a sport at an olympic level, pro gaming can be called e-sports.

Papa Tayder

12-18-2011

There's a reason it's called E-sports and not just sports.

Dephe

12-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzlamotive View Post
this is "E-sports" not "sports"

/thread
This. It's a new term altogether that draws from SOME key aspects of another, well established term.

Nasdrovia499

12-18-2011

"Some non-physical activities, such as board games and card games are sometimes referred to as sports"
- Wikipedia

Chess can be seen as an "intellectual sport". Anything that has a competitive aspect (2 or more people/teams facing each other and a skill-ceiling high enough) could be.

Also, E-sport is definitely easier to say and sounds better.

Ad0lph Hipster

12-18-2011

E-Sports are the best way to grow your E-Peen

Jesse McCartney

12-18-2011

your whole argument is based around that one definition. that's pretty ignorant of you.

MetsuKat

12-18-2011

"E-sports", "Major League Gaming", etc...

What you're basically seeing is an attempt to style this stuff after "sports culture". The Competitive Play videos on the LoL webpages give a pretty good example of what I'm talking about. And it's not a bad idea in itself - it provides a sense of external "legitimacy" for what they're doing, and a sense of focus for the current player base, both of which are necessary elements if Riot wants their competitive circuit to expand and draw new players. You gotta get it to be seen as a "real thing", you might say - and Major League Gaming motifs certainly facilitate that.

The gamble here is whether or not League of Legends players, in general, actually like the way sports culture talks, thinks, behaves, etc. I personally can't stand it - most of the things I hate about professional sports are bottled together in the form of "Pre-Game Shows". But I don't speak for everyone, and if the E-Sports concept is sufficiently well-received, it'll become a self-establishing reality.