Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

"E-sports"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nathywathy

12-18-2011

There is (was) another thread "discussing" the term E-sports.
I doubt it'll be around for long as it's being heavily downvoted.

To be honest, I kind of agree with him (just not in the way he expressed himself).

Definition of sports:
"Noun:
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others."

I know video games require mental exertion and skill but I wouldn't go as far to say they require physical exertion.

Why isn't E-sports just called professional gaming?
Take pride in what you love doing and don't hide behind the words "E-sports".

Also general PSA:
If you love doing something that does not harm anyone else and has no major repercussions there's no reason to feel ashamed. Take pride of what you love and who you are.

BrokenWall

12-18-2011

i agree i wanted to say something in the other thread but he was a dumass troll he wasn't even worth a downvote

Leaver

12-18-2011

the definition of words isn't a static thing, it's based upon their usage, I think the point of the term E-sports is to try and redefine the concept of what a sport is

BJordnDidNitDoIt

12-18-2011

this is "E-sports" not "sports"

/thread

Dcgreen

12-18-2011

I think the "E" in "E-Sports" is pretty explanatory that activities under that banner omit physical exertion, but still keeps in mind the competitive elements which makes something a sport.

I don't think that its called e-sports because gamers are looking for physical recreational recognition, but because it gives it direct comparability to other already popular competitive activities.

Pro gaming isn't specific enough. Youre a professional gamer, well what game? Zelda Skyward Sword is a game, but its not competitive. So calling it "E-Sports" not only makes a direct correlation to regular sports, but immediately calls to the mind to only encompass competitive games titles.

Hope this helps?

Mynt

12-18-2011

So... watching normal sports is somehow a more physical demanding, and therefor manly activity?

Saint Mongoose

12-18-2011

My only argument is I don't believe anyone uses the term "E-sports" because they are ashamed or want to hide behind it. I know if I wanted I could easily go play sports, but I choose not to. I enjoy watching them, and I enjoy watching League of Legends tournaments. I just don't have the heart for sports as other people do to the point that I'd dedicate a part of my life to them. I played them when I was younger, from football to wrestling, and I just don't anymore. I also seem to have an issue where I get sick easily when the weather changes drastically, which could be detrimental to my performance in a sport, which I would not want.

Also by calling it an "E-sport", wouldn't that make it a different word? So using the definition of the word "Sport" be an invalid argument?

MathMage

12-18-2011

I see no problem with the term "e-sports" as an online derivation of normally physical competitive games. A number of other terms have been similarly derived.

Hotdogs

12-18-2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_sports
shooting is a sport and all you do is stand there and pull the trigger
professional gaming is too long to say, people often say pro gaming or esports because its shorter

fluff667

12-18-2011

this topic is hilarious ...now we must talk about gaming in a politically correct way
seriously guys ... XD

*continues munching on popcorn*

on a serious note call it whatever you want , E-sports sound good honestly,better than having to say professional gaming every time.