Why Dominion will never be a competitive game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shaxtenn

12-17-2011

The rubber-band mechanics in Dominion were toned way down. The death timers are something like +/-2 seconds now, which is very minor. I think they used to be +/-6 seconds.

The game just doesn't snowball as hard as SR. This makes comebacks more realistic, and less reliant on a horrible mistake like a bad Baron fight. In SR, if you lose your front towers, you've lost control of your own jungle, so the game is snowballing against you. In Dom, there's no such game-long disadvantage. If you lose a tower, you can cap it back.

And momentum definitely exists for the winning team. It's very hard to push an equally weighted enemy group off a tower they control.

I think Dominion won't be taken seriously on a tournament level though because it's so hectic. The decisions are moment to moment. In Summoner's Rift the strategic decisions are more spaced out, and therefore easier for commentators to observe and spectators to appreciate. In Dominion it's teamfightteamfightteamfight.

I wish it were different, because there's nothing interesting about the first 15 minutes of everyone farming on SR. "Here comes a gank from the jungle! Oh he flashed away. I mean uh - he burned his flash! How momentous! That's totally not the same thing as nothing having happened at all because Flash is completely broken and we refuse to remove it from the game. Watching someone flash away is waaay more interesting than watching them get killed." I think I'd rather watch pros play Dominion.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Melvear

12-17-2011

There's a lot more strategic decision making in Dominion than most people give it credit for.

I personally see no reason whatsoever as to why Dom couldn't be a competitive game. The mechanics that allow for comebacks are very minor, and the window mechanic affects winning and losing team equally. The very low snowballing actually makes it more competitive than SR, since you don't gain an unfair advantage by having an exceptionally good early game, which is something I've always been annoyed with.
As FDru said, there are no competition that reward people in the lead with better equipment. Personal skills and physical prowess, as well as team cohesion and cooperation makes great athlete/teams, and having a lead is nothing more than that, having a lead. You can blow a 5-0 lead in hockey or soccer, or a 28-0 lead in football. It's not likely, but it happens, just like a 300-100 lead can be blown.