jax runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NoX Zenilant

12-17-2011

since they're removing dodge soon, what are you guys doing for runes?

my current setup is:

1 Greater Quint of Evasion (dodge)
2 Greater Quints of Potency (flat AP)
9 Greater Seals of Evasion (dodge)
9 Greater Marks of Destruction (armor pen)
9 Greater Glyphs of Force (AP/level)

With dodge gone, I'll have room for new seals and I was thinking of replacing the dodge quint with another flat AP quint. As far as seals go I'm stumped but I was thinking flat armor, given I already have a full set of those. Would hp/5 be a good idea too? What are you guys trying?

Also, as far as marks go, I was wondering: what's better mathematically speaking? A full set of flat armor pen, or a full set of flat attack damage? Or is it better to use a mix?

I want to replace the runes now because they're being taken away and I need to get used to Jax without dodge. I just hope they don't remake and wreck him. I likes me AoE stun/free gold passive and ult.

Nexus Crawler

12-17-2011

Depends on how they give him a rework. For as far as we know they may change his passive dodge to something else, or do a complete rework of his skillset to compliment a new play style.

Flakes

12-17-2011

I have two Jax runepages (order red/yellow/blue/quint), one with AD/dodge/MR/MS, and one with AD/dodge+armor/armor/armor and pick based on who I think I'm laning against (draft mode).
After dodge removal the armor page will probably stay the same but with more armor instead of dodge, while the MR page might replace yellows with MR, AS, or hp/lvl (haven't decided on these seals either).

I like the flat AD reds because they scale better with Jax's abilities + passive + lifesteal (ArPen doesn't boost his abilities because they deal magic damage, but they scale with AD). I believe in runing for the laning phase on Jax because of his natural lategame scaling, though some people use an all-out lategame build.

NoX Zenilant

12-17-2011

@Nexus Crawler

good point. I think they're going to change his passive dodge entirely since Riot seems dead set against "anti-fun" RNG stats w/ no counter. I guess it all comes down to how exactly he's being reworked but rune suggestions might be helpful in the hope that he ends up being similar to how he is now sans dodge.

@Flakes

You seem to play a very tanky kind of early game jax, and I'm curious to see how that works. I might try it since I already have MR/Armor runes for tankier champs, but my concern is that even if I want early game Jax to be tanky if he's somehow forced out of the lane there's still no good solution to that, so I would rather have the AP quints/glyphs to invest in overall damage the same way you would have AD marks. However, armor yellows seems to be my go-to.

Generally Jax already has a stellar late game so I don't plan on building for that too much. The way I see it runes/masteries have the most effect on the early game, and that's where Jax suffers the most. However, lategame AP/level glyphs always seemed like a good investment to me which is why I always used them. I've seen some people use cooldowns too.

Good point about not scaling with Armor Pen. I'll have to try AD marks when I get the IP. What masteries do you use? Ever since the rework I've found myself investing the full 30 points into Offense, with a point in the spell mastery since I tend to run Ghost/Exhaust on him now (used to run Cleanse/Exhaust).

Flakes

12-17-2011

I run 26/4/0 on Jax, but the last 4 points are probably a toss-up. I used to run more offensive runes to play aggressive against squishy opponents (it was an AD/AP page that worked for Akali too, but I don't play her as much as I used to), but every top lane now seems to be a tanky sustain-fest.

I haven't been snowballing as hard as I used to, and I'm not sure if it's because of my defensive runes, higher elo, new masteries, or a combination of the three. I run teleport flash if I think I'll have trouble winning lane, and flash+exhaust if I don't, but I'm still experimenting with summoner spells.

Beaumains

12-17-2011

I think I'm gonna try to get a few last good games in with Jax, and hope Riot doesn't add him to the body pile (Twitch, Eve, Mord, Tryn, Corki, ........ RIP).

NoX Zenilant

12-18-2011

Jax was the second champ I ever played, and the one I've played the most. Pre-summoner 30 I used to play a lot of Twisted Treeline with friends, and that's where I got the impression that Jax was any good. Cut to level 30, playing Summoner's Rift almost exclusively and in two shifting metas (the old, in which I'd usually go bot, and the new, where I'm stuck by myself top), neither of which Jax particularly shines in. Out of maybe the 650-odd games I've played, practically all normals (don't laugh, I don't have a lot of time to play) and an approximate 1:1 win/loss ratio, I've carried maybe two or three games as Jax on Summoner's Rift after level 30. Maybe I'm just bad, but most of my victories as Jax are the result of a good team, so my particular contributions don't really stand out.

Jax is simply outclassed by every other comparable champion. When I'm soloing top, I can usually do decently well unless I'm up against an immovable object like Singed or Mordekaiser, or an assassin like Akali. Even if I build tanky, or have tanky runes, Jax just doesn't have the sustain to stay in the lane without help from the rest of the team. You don't really have sustainability until you complete Cutlass or Revolver, and even then you're still easily harassed. The biggest problem is that early game LS+Empower doesn't do much without items (especially if your opponent can just heal it up in a matter of seconds) and it eats up mana if you spam LS, which is already on a moderately long cooldown.

I'm going to try more defensive runes to see if that helps me top, but Jax is in a weird place because he's not naturally tanky and sustainable, and at the same time he's so reliant on items and still doesn't have the damage output of better DPS champs. So if you want tanky sustain you would rather go Irelia, Garen or Renekton, and for flat damage output you'd go Tryndamere, Gangplank or Xin Zhao. And if you die even once in a solo lane pre-6 you're pretty screwed for the rest of the game.

Nexus Crawler

12-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold163 View Post
@Nexus Crawler

good point. I think they're going to change his passive dodge entirely since Riot seems dead set against "anti-fun" RNG stats w/ no counter. I guess it all comes down to how exactly he's being reworked but rune suggestions might be helpful in the hope that he ends up being similar to how he is now sans dodge.
He'll probably still run as Tanky DPS even after the change. Depending on how they work his skills if they're still AD scaling abilities that deal Magic Damage then I'd probably still go with:

Quints:MS, AS, or Flat AD (or possibly Double Pen)
Marks: ArPen (if he does more Physical), or Flat AD (again possibly Double Pen)
Seals: Flat Armor
Glyphs: Flat/Scaling MR

He'll probably still be stuck at top so he'll need some sustain and good survivability early. Plus with the removal of dodge he won't take reduced damage from minions with a Empowered/Leap harassment, however he may have a improved stun (without the need of a dodge first) meaning it'll be much safer to jump in to harass and get back out.