Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why is LoL more popular than HoN

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nightlynx

12-16-2011

Quote:
die4769:
Eh, I'd say HoN has better character designs (from a mechanical viewpoint)

HoN's monkey king makes me salivate with envy.

how?

I looked at their monkey king and went ... How is this even interesting in anyway... all dat forced synergy, an ulti that does nothing......

Skaliton

12-16-2011

Quote:
Ciderhelm:
Denying isn't just an extension of last hitting in terms of difficulty.

On your end, you have to watch twice as many creeps, and also need to be good at watching towers to deny them when possible, and also need to watch out for players at low health with DOTs on them to deny them as well.

On your opponent's end, they have to react faster and use zoning more effectively to even get last hits before they're denied. They have to consider whether and how to make hail mary passes at towers that are in deny range.

Just using denying as an example since you brought it up. Juking and vision control are extremely complex subjects in Heroes of Newerth as well, as are pet classes, as is jungle control. There are also a number of ability mechanics that you simply don't have to deal with in LoL.

HoN definitely has a higher skillcap, there are far more mechanics involved at any given time. But that's not a dig at either LoL or HoN, nor is it a dig at the competitive scene for LoL. The fact is, the number of people who are reaching either of these skillcaps is probably no higher than a few hundred.

if someone else posted on this sorry

wait..wait twice as many creeps in lane? last i checked (meaning when i was a fool and spent 10$ on HoN days b4 it went free)
4x2 is 8
6...is 6
meaning "double" is actually 2 more minions

ok now jungle mechanics..wait I'm pretty sure we have to focus on quite a lot in the jungle (4 "normal" buffs, 2 super buffs)

and you do realize the biggest game play difference is we like to use skills HoN players like to right click..in LoL a bad early game is recoverable..in HoN you become more and more useless (god forbid your an assassin who cant keep their carry dead for the first 15 minutes..your useless)

Conncept

12-16-2011

LoL has good and talented designers behind it.

HoN has a team of d*bags who want to be Icefrog.

Pretty much boils down to this simple fact.

Ciderhelm

Master Recruiter

12-16-2011

Quote:
Skaliton:
if someone else posted on this sorry

wait..wait twice as many creeps in lane? last i checked (meaning when i was a fool and spent 10$ on HoN days b4 it went free)
4x2 is 8
6...is 6
meaning "double" is actually 2 more minions

Denying is when you last hit enemy minions, preventing your opponent from earning money and denying them some experience.

What I was saying is that watching double the creeps means you're watching their minions and reacting to their minions in addition to yours. I didn't mean there are twice the minions in the lane at any given time, though there certainly can be more or less depending on how you're stacking your lane in HoN.

Quote:
Skaliton:
ok now jungle mechanics..wait I'm pretty sure we have to focus on quite a lot in the jungle (4 "normal" buffs, 2 super buffs)

HoN's jungle allows you to stack creeps by pulling them out of their zone at the right times so a new set of minions can spawn and letting them leash back, thereby doubling the size of the creep camp. This can be done a third time for triple the minions. Several heroes do this, and some heroes do this at more than one creep camp at a time using their pets or using an ally.

Additionally, HoN's jungle allows you to pull creeps to a lane, causing your laning minions to split off, if done perfectly. This effectively denies your opponents some experience, keeps minions closer to your tower, and causes interesting jungle fights early.

I play and love League of Legends. I don't think HoN is the better game. But it's silly to think Heroes of Newerth doesn't have a higher skillcap.

Ganxu

12-16-2011

Quote:
its cold in here:
Remembering correctly. LoL was the underdog no one was really looking into it. HoN was the MOBA that everyone was talking about. Now LoL has a bustling community, while HoN is left in the dust. Why do you guys think HoN could not compete with LoL?

HoN required a better computer and was more difficult to learn, more difficult to play.'

Easy mode = massive amounts of players.

Nidorosity

12-16-2011

I tried HoN, and the graphics made me cringe.
When I started playing, I couldn't differentiate between super basic things like my teammates and enemies, my creeps and their creeps, and it's as if they feel the need to make everything glow. It was like watching a light show.

In League of Legends, graphics are much, much cleaner and you can actually see what happens, rather than just a bunch of glowing projectiles. That's what made the difference for me.

Skaliton

12-16-2011

ok ciderhiem taken from your very quote

"On your end, you have to watch twice as many creeps"

"Watching double the creeps means you're watching their minions and reacting to their minions in addition to yours. It doesn't mean there are twice the minions in the lane."

Im well aware of what denying is..you watch 6 in LoL (that you must pay attention to
in HoN you watch 8 (that you must pay attention to)

so in 2 of your posts you destroyed your own arguement

Loryk

12-16-2011

f2p and Riot

PetiteCupCake

12-16-2011

Gentleman Cho'Gath is the reason League of Legends is more popular than HON. lol

Jk..For me I like the bright colours of LOL as opposed to HON.
It is more pleasing to my eyes.

VictimEN

12-16-2011

In LoL you basically need to watch your own creeps anyway, since the best time to harass your opponent is when they're last hitting.