Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why is LoL more popular than HoN

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheMountainGoat

12-16-2011

i dont play hon because the grimdark graphics make it **** near impossible to tell what the **** is going on. actual hon screen capture:

its cold in here

12-16-2011

Quote:
TheMountainGoat:
i dont play hon because the grimdark graphics make it **** near impossible to tell what the **** is going on. actual hon screen capture:

LoL Truth be told I would like to see Phreaks views on this.

Dr Sloth MD

12-16-2011

Quote:
its cold in here:
Remembering correctly. LoL was the underdog no one was really looking into it. HoN was the MOBA that everyone was talking about. Now LoL has a bustling community, while HoN is left in the dust. Why do you guys think HoN could not compete with LoL?

That's funny, I remember it completely differently. LoL was talked about on Kotaku long before its release, and was heavily hyped because Guinsoo was a former developer of DotA. The hype grew even bigger when it was announced that the game would be free. It was hard to get a beta key despite numerous giveaways.

Meanwhile during HoN's beta everything I read was people thinking it was a joke because it was essentially DotA in a standalone game being developed by a company with no ties to DotA that they wanted you to pay for. HoN keys were far easier to get than LoL keys ever were.

Seriously I don't know who you were talking to but they were ****ing idiots. New game made by a former DotA developer that's totally free to play, or a rehash of DotA by a little-known developer who expects me to pay for it?

To answer your question, LoL is popular because it has always been free, it has less stringent system requirements, and it's an easier game to pick up because it's got simpler mechanics. HoN had several barriers to entry, including its price, the higher system requirements, and more complex mechanics; in the end this scared away anyone who wasn't really familiar with DotA while LoL was happy to take them in.

Manske

12-16-2011

Quote:
FrontlinerDelta:
Why do so many HoN supporters keep trying to assert that "hardcore" is better?

It doesn't make it a better game, but it makes it better for tournaments and a competitive scene.

Woldere

12-16-2011

I actually really like the graphics of LoL over DotA/DotA2/HoN.

Skytro

12-16-2011

Quote:
Joshua Cross:
Because LoL appeals to a much large audience, it's more streamlined and while it's simpler in some respects it's challenging in others which appeals to both the casual and hardcore audience. It's the same reason DoTAII is probably not going to beat LoL, since it's trying to be nothing but DoTA with new graphics.

Blizzard DoTA however, that's going to end up crushing everyone most likely.

You do realise blizzard dota is just a sc2 custom map that is even more dumbed down then most mobas?

JohnPetrucci

12-16-2011

Quote:
AotW King:
HoN is harder to learn and people usually need to lose 15-30 matches before they can even get to people around there level when they start, most arent that dedicated, Personally I wish i had paid the 30$ having all the heros is so much better.

I paid $10 during one of the sales. I'd say it's worth it. Good game with interesting champions and visuals. The problem is the playerbase and the unforgiving nature of the game. Very tough to get used to.

I personally think a major factor is the UI (website, client, and in-game). HoN is dark and muddy whereas LoL is very nice and clean. It's so much easier to play and navigate around LoL's interface. The in-game item store makes sense, unlike HoN's.

its cold in here

12-16-2011

Quote:
LandoCaldippian:
That's funny, I remember it completely differently. LoL was talked about on Kotaku long before its release, and was heavily hyped because Guinsoo was a former developer of DotA. The hype grew even bigger when it was announced that the game would be free. It was hard to get a beta key despite numerous giveaways.

Meanwhile during HoN's beta everything I read was people thinking it was a joke because it was essentially DotA in a standalone game being developed by a company with no ties to DotA that they wanted you to pay for. HoN keys were far easier to get than LoL keys ever were.

Seriously I don't know who you were talking to but they were ****ing idiots. New game made by a former DotA developer that's totally free to play, or a rehash of DotA by a little-known developer who expects me to pay for it?

To answer your question, LoL is popular because it has always been free, it has less stringent system requirements, and it's an easier game to pick up because it's got simpler mechanics. HoN had several barriers to entry, including its price, the higher system requirements, and more complex mechanics; in the end this scared away anyone who wasn't really familiar with DotA while LoL was happy to take them in.

From my side. HoN was talked a lot more because it was an improved Dota. With better graphics and a lot more dark and sinister. I only heard LoL because gametrailers gave it a review. So many people were playing HoN during the beta phase. It was incredible.

Samurai047

12-16-2011

HoN/DotA all becomes an auto attack and item skills fest at end game, the actual skill damages don't scale unlike in LoL.

xxbigweedman69xx

12-16-2011

Because HoN is a piece of dumpster