Xin Zhao - The correct pronunciation

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Diesel Venom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2011

Xin Zhao is pronounced "chahy-neez gahy"

FaerellG

01-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matuk View Post
While this is correct, all you need to do is look at the Champion Spotlight that Phreak put up. They seem to pronounce it "Sin Jao"
While this doesn't quite match Chinese pronunciation, we must also remember that this champion is their creation. O.o
Fact: There are more dialects of Chinese than there are dialects of all European languages.
So there is totally room for differences in pronunciation.

Also if you're annoyed by the odd romanization of the pronunciation: blame the Russians. They're the ones that did it, so we're using Russian pronunciations of Roman characters.

Edit:
also, for the Chinese people being offended by "china man", grow a pair. We're Chinese. We should be above getting upset over name-calling. Civil rights movement is over, minorities won. If someone uses "china man" in an offensive manner, sure, get upset and take them down a peg. But if someone just uses "china man" colloquially, then whatever. Malicious words aren't malicious unless there's malicious intent behind it. I don't think Brussel meant anything by it, so I'd get off his case. Otherwise we're just another overly sensitive minority. We should strive to be above that.

KrupsMcGee

01-19-2011

I've been saying "Ching Chow" on vent...now I feel like an idiot. Why did no one tell me?

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2011

I just call him Win Zow. (zow as in owww that hurt.)

The Lazy Shadow

01-20-2011

Ksin Zao FTW !

Garvey

01-20-2011

Shin Jaow would be the standard Chinese way of pronouncing it...

Yes, I'm from NYC but have been in Nanjing, China for 5 years now.

Pin Yin is your friend :P

X= shh sound
Zh= J sound...

Krazlam

01-20-2011

I can't be the only one that thinks this but...

Well, I am of a Chinese background and do speak Mandarin fairly fluently. For all those other mandarin speakers, do these translations make it sound like Xin Zhao is a banana? By that I mean, the mandarin words for banana sound pretty close to some of the translations.

A few people made the point that Xin Zhao is not actually Chinese, but a creation of Riot. I'd have to agree with that, as I discussed this with my brother and we could not find anything that sounds like an actual name using real Chinese words that would fit.

At the end of the day, I just refer to him as Zin, pronounced the English way, because after all we play on a server located in California and we live in the United States. (Come to think of it, the Chinese influence here is pretty big... Then again so are the Spanish, Vietnamese, Japanese, and Korean influences, so I still have to stick with the state's official language of English.)

Strom

05-03-2011

Been playing alot of Xin Zhao, and tired of the mispronunciation, contacted a friend who lives in Shanhai:

"Xin" is a common chinese surname. The spelling accords with Pinyin, the modern phonetic symbols of chinese mandarin. This surname is spelled as "Hsin" or "Shin" in Taiwan, Hong Kong and other Chinese speaking areas.it is pronounced as "Sheen". i am a Chinese linguist in Shanghai, you can count on me. kroenen@163.com

Warrrrax

05-04-2011

Sheen huh?
Any chance that Zhao translates to Charlie somehow?

I just call him "Win Zhao", but Shin Jao seems reasonable enough.

shubomber

05-04-2011

Phreak calls him "Sin Zhao" in the spotlight. So I'm going with that.