Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Xin Zhao - The correct pronunciation

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

d10p3t

07-11-2010

ahh wtf ill just call him "the guy that looks like someone from dynasty warriors" or "TGTLLSFDW" besides the chinese people didnt create him the riot staff created him so they get to decide how his name gets pronounced.

Erik von Darkmoor

07-11-2010

who cares?

Waylan

07-11-2010

Quote:
Brussel Sprout:
I am an australian man. An american is an american man. There is NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING racist about this. A canadian is a canadian man. An english man is an englishman. Get off you're ridiculous PC high horse. It's ruining this world we live in.

A chinese man is a china man.

I'm Chinese. But I am NOT a China man. There is a difference. Not all Chinese are from China. Get off your ignorant high horse too. Like it or not, China man still has a derogatory ring to it, even in my country where we're mostly Chinese descendants. Call him a Chinese man if you want, not china man.

Brussel Sprout

07-11-2010

China man.

Brussel Sprout

07-11-2010

Englishman.

Brussel Sprout

07-11-2010

Once again. Free speech. Left wing politically correct ideology will be the downfall of modern civilisation.

gallantgreg

07-11-2010

Chinese man ~ English man
China man ~ England man = politically incorrect and derogatory as well as sounding a little stupid.

This reminds me of the 'Shaco' pronunciation thread.
Say it however you want, unless you use vent no one cares/knows how you say it

waterfire

07-11-2010

Go to [EMAIL="tdc@putonghuaonline@com/tools1@html"]tdc@putonghuaonline@com/tools1@html[/EMAIL] to check what the sound look like.
This is the Hong Kong official translate tools.

(Change all @ to .)

GamBino826

07-11-2010

Quote:
Mineomancer:
In response to all the sticklers out there - yes, there is no such thing as "x" in Chinese, however, as someone mentioned, "x" does appear in Hanyu Pinyin (the romanization system for Mandarin Chinese).

Obviously those unfamiliar with Chinese probably won't pronounce it perfectly, and likewise, it would be hard to pronounce without any tone markings and without seeing the characters making up the Chinese name.

I just thought it was interesting and thought I'd share it. Also, I had forgotten about the pronunciation portion of the article with Xin Jiao's introduction. You are absolutely right that he provided pronunciation and as the creators, obviously he will be called whatever they've decided.

However, the new champion does have a Dynasty Warrior look about him, and his name is presumably Chinese...

Perhaps he's a mix? Maybe the son of Xing Cai and Zhao Yun, I don't know. It may make sense though, if Liu Bei married his daughter off to one of his most loyal vassals. But then again, the Three Dynasties was one of the most intriguing periods of Chinese history that's been repeatedly fantasized by games and movies, so it's probably best not to twist it any more.

Maybe I'm going a bit far...

VoiceofTreason

07-11-2010

Quote:
Sailor Moon:
^ this.

Sailormoon you wouldnt happen to have played an mmo with me?