Xin Zhao - The correct pronunciation

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brodin

07-10-2010

Xin pronounced in Chinese falls somewhere between the English S and SH sounds. Either pronunciation is a close approximation, though Shin would probably be more common among Chinese speaking Americans.

I'd agree that if Riot picks Sin Jow as the proper pronunciation, however, than that's what it is.

Linkolin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2010

Xin Zhao=/=Shin Jao

Anyways, I laugh at people who mispronounce Chinese words. Champion Spotlight video got the pronunciation close. :P

CrimsonSkies

07-10-2010

...It is not pronounced Shin -___-
The "x" sound in Chinese doesn't actually exist in English. It's a mix between shin/yin. Basically, if you haven't learned the sound previously, you won't be able to pronounce it.

Sailor Moon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkies View Post
...It is not pronounced Shin -___-
The "x" sound in Chinese doesn't actually exist in English. It's a mix between shin/yin. Basically, if you haven't learned the sound previously, you won't be able to pronounce it.
^ this.

Mineomancer

07-10-2010

In response to all the sticklers out there - yes, there is no such thing as "x" in Chinese, however, as someone mentioned, "x" does appear in Hanyu Pinyin (the romanization system for Mandarin Chinese).

Obviously those unfamiliar with Chinese probably won't pronounce it perfectly, and likewise, it would be hard to pronounce without any tone markings and without seeing the characters making up the Chinese name.

I just thought it was interesting and thought I'd share it. Also, I had forgotten about the pronunciation portion of the article with Xin Jiao's introduction. You are absolutely right that he provided pronunciation and as the creators, obviously he will be called whatever they've decided.

However, the new champion does have a Dynasty Warrior look about him, and his name is presumably Chinese...

Brussel Sprout

07-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaanelo View Post
cause it's racist word. same as calling blacks ******s.
I am an australian man. An american is an american man. There is NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING racist about this. A canadian is a canadian man. An english man is an englishman. Get off you're ridiculous PC high horse. It's ruining this world we live in.

A chinese man is a china man.

Ghenghis Kwong

07-10-2010

The vowel in "xin" is not the same as the English "in", but rather an E sound like "keen". So "xin" should be pronounced "s(h)een" (go easy on that H sound!) and zhao is like "jao". Not "jow". American English has a W sound after O sounds. But Chinese does not.

Doxment

07-10-2010

It's funny that there is a whole thread dedicated to this, because when I watched the spotlight video it bugged me too. I studied Mandarin for two years. When I heard it being mispronounced, I cried.

HLG Taithros

07-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brussel Sprout View Post
I am an australian man. An american is an american man. There is NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING racist about this. A canadian is a canadian man. An english man is an englishman. Get off you're ridiculous PC high horse. It's ruining this world we live in.

No. A chinese man is a chinese man.
Just like your not an Australia man. Your an AustraliaN man.

Ghenghis Kwong

07-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brussel Sprout View Post

You listed nationalities. Those aren't races. And if you say Australian man, why not add an ending to China too? Then it would be Chinese man. get with it.