Master of the Gank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

totalwar235

03-23-2013

I mainly play jungle and I have a good variety of junglers at the moment i can claim im good at (hecarim, mundo, xin, tryndamere, nunu, cho'gath) but i always have a problem getting the timing for a good gank. i can pull off ganks but most of the time i force them from lane and don't manage a kill.

Is there any good way to help mastering ganking other than endless practice in game? or how have others figured out how get those perfect ganks?

ninjawerewulf

03-26-2013

I play fiddles so ganking for me is quite different. However when I do play AD champions i try to get in between the enemy and their turret. if you are playing Hec use your ult to fear them. Also ask your support to drop a pink ward in bottom bushes so you can gank from the backside of your lane. If anything else go to www.solomid.com and look at their guides. The approved are more often than not better quality than the featured, however, the featured require the author to be ranked Plat 1.

its4ndrew

03-26-2013

Try communicating with the laner to engage the overextended laner so you both can bring him down. 2v1 > 1v1

Theungry

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2013

Honestly, I think the key to a successful gank is patience. You need to wait not just for the target to be vulnerable, but for the lane you're ganking with to be ready to engage. sometimes this is easy to read from position and language, but for denser players you need to both ping your target and explain how/when the engage should happen (i.e. "bait and i'll gank", or "i will flash/engage as soon as X is in range, don't burn your CDs before they're close.)

Z The Slayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2013

The best thing that you can control on your end is to wait until you know that the enemy's utility abilities are on cooldown. So a Taric's stun or Ezreal's dash. If you don't see it ever happening, you might as well just leave, since you'll be lucky if you can force them to use flash (usually one utility spell is enough to escape unless it was a really solid gank).

The rest relies on your laners to know how to effectively bait/engage. Going from pushing/harassing to last hitting is way too suspicious; any decent player will read that as a red flag and back off. Running away too much and discouraging the enemy from chasing is also bad. The idea is that you want the laner to appear to be in a losing situation. That means acting like your utility ability is on cooldown, running away while occasionally trying to fight back (to make it look almost like a last effort to survive), little things like that.

If you aren't quite high enough ELO for baiting psychology to be important, then just wait for the enemy utility abilities to be disabled, unless you see a prime opportunity to move in.

Lord Puppy Fury

03-26-2013

Most of the junglers you list don't have hard CC and Cho's knock-up is tricky to hit. While this isn't automatically a problem, if your laner lacks hard CC of their own or good gap closers, there's a high probability that your ganks will purely be damage/pressure ganks. Look at every gank as a math equation: jungle Tryndamere + lane Nidalee = very low kill chance. Jungle Tryndamere + lane Elise = very high kill chance. Obviously, factor your opponent into that equation as well. Mordekaiser's easy to pin down and kill especially if you burn his flash. Zed is not.

Furthermore, keep in mind, burning summoner spells, dealing damage, and/or forcing the enemy out of lane are all still conditions that count as successful ganks. If you laner is well, dumb, you may need to babysit and camp their lane. Be aware, though, there's dumb and then there's full blown stupid. You can get dumb far enough ahead in gold that it mitigates the dumbness. Stupid, though, is beyond help. A laner who doesn't ward is dumb. A laner who tower dives a Jax is stupid.

Finally, my favorite low elo trick is the re-gank. Gank, break line of sight and walk into the bushes, wait for the enemy to push back up completely oblivious, and re-gank. An alarming number of LoL players don't understand the infant-level concept of object permanence. Just because you can't see the jungler doesn't mean he's magically ceased to exist. Abuse this failing mercilessly.

Shallow Cubes

03-26-2013

totalwar235, here's a bit of advice that might also translate to and help your time as a support player (if you ever find yourself in this role)...

If the effort it takes to save a lane is greater than the benefit that will come from saving it, do not gank for that lane.

This will get you hated on by players that just do not understand this concept or the strategy behind it. Most people will think that if a lane is struggling or failing, it is best to try and save it. If it's clear that you can even things out with maybe one good gank or two, then by all means, go for it. If it means you have to babysit that lane just to get them back to even footing, forget it.

Focus on extending an advantage in your more successful lanes because this will inevitably pull your failing lane up by releasing pressure on them and allowing your more successful lanes more roaming power.

I'll give you an example from my own experiences both as a jungler and as a top laner:

I failed top lane. Not only did I fail it. I failed it hard. As Jax, I was something like 0/3/2 and we were barely in mid game. I could no longer trade against Renekton safely. I told our jungler to just focus on the other lanes, and that I'd have to D up, defensively ward, and play safe. Result? The added pressure on the enemy bot lane caused them to cave. Our ADC got fed. This relieved pressure on me since their jungler got tied up elsewhere (and Renek tried to roam to help other lanes), and I ended up helping to carry the game. Ended 7/3/12. Did not die in the final 2/3 of the game.

As jungle Jax... Played a game where bot lane was having a ridiculously hard time, even with early assistance. Left them to D up together around tower and punished the hell out of mid and top lanes. When top and mid towers fell, we just collapsed on bot lane and put our ADC back on solid ground.

As I mentioned previously, this can somewhat translate to your role as a support. I am not saying that you should just leave your ADC to support some other lane. What I am saying is that as you transition out of the laning phase, you should spend your time supporting and sustaining your most successful player. You can drop days of heals on an ADC that is failing, but will they add enough to the team fight in return? Why not drop them on your more successful AP or bruisers that are absolutely crushing the enemy team?

Assuming that you are supporting your most successful player, the players that are not doing as well will inevitably receive more experience, since it is less likely that they will be the focus of the enemy team in a fight. Your most successful player will draw the focus of the enemy team, and that is where your supporting and peel should be.

I hope this makes sense.

TL;DR... If trying to save a lane costs you more than you would gain from saving it, tell that lane to D up and spend your time ganking elsewhere. Extend your advantages to win the game.

totalwar235

03-27-2013

this is alot of good information for jungling with any character. Some good tricks like doubling back to gank twice. looking at how much CC each of my champs have and off advice that way. Waiting for utility skills to get used in lane. using communication and pink wards to make openings. and finally just giving up on a lane.

this will be hard for me to master everything here but this should be required reading for junglers. there is alot of info here.