Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Help] I need help with raging.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dimonoin

12-15-2011

This is not a QQ thread for a bad match or anything like that.

I just want to know.. do you guys rage in your games?

Like not necessarily at your teammates in the chat, but also like get upset by their actions and stuff like that, to yourself.

I know there are a lot of very hardcore ragers in this game, and I can honestly admit that about a year ago I used to be one of them. I guess I had anger issues and they were bringing me a lot of trouble irl, and this game just amplified them a lot and back then it made me sometimes be a real a$$ to players who probably didnt deserve it (specially because I was a very bad player back then and I didnt know it, so I believe I was raging at other people for my own mistakes).

There's a lot more to it than I can tell but I dont want the thread to be too big so Ill keep it "simple" (though it will probably still be big, you can just skip to TLDR at the bottom).

The thing is, when I hit rock bottom december last year (something really bad happened related to those anger issues and LoL), I decided I couldnt keep playing this game and continue like I was because it was just not healthy for me or anyone I cared about. The "game" itself wasnt the cause of my raging/anger, but it still was some sort of "trigger" to it so I had to cut it off if I wanted to work on my anger.

I managed to solve them somehow on the following 2~3 months, tho I never managed to really "quit" as I wanted, I kept playing occasionally but I think I saw it more as an experiment to see if my anger resolutions were working or not. But anyway, they did work and I was a much "better" person after taking the time to fix my raging problems.

Of course, this is still LoL and I would be upset sometimes on some games, but in a more calmed state, nowhere near the level of rage I used to have.

The problem is that recently, I feel like the rage is coming back. Not like before, honestly I dont think I can ever be that person again, I dont even know how exactly I turned out to be like that but I hated it (it costed me my gf and a few friends) and thats why I had to fix it, I couldnt keep being "him" much longer.

But as I said, not as before, but I still think Im raging a bit more than "usual" lately.
Im posting this here in Dominion because it is all I play and where this happens.

I believe the reason it is happening is because of the nature of the mode, it is still too fresh and new and most players dont understand how it works, so given the fact that I understand "a bit more", I get upset when I see players in my teams who make really terrible mistakes and sometimes I cant control myself and end up telling them in the chat stuff like "OMG WE JUST ACED THEM WHY ARE YOU 3-MAN CAPPING".

Note: Just in case you are wondering, I dont rage quit. Never have, hopefully never will. Doesnt matter how mad I am, I dont like giving up, so I always try until the very end.

The other big problem that is what causes the reason stated above is the fact that I smurf.
Not the "usual" smurf that everyone (including me) tends to hate, which are those players that create new accounts to stomp on the poor innocent newbies to feel good about themselves.

I do it because of the queue times. In my main, I just cant find the patience to queue anymore, specially because I just cant stand blind pick where people just tryhard Yorick/Kass/Rammus teams and thats unbearable and not fun. And even then, my blind pick queue times are around 32~40 min. My draft queue is 38~45+ min depending on the hour. Waiting 40 min to play 20 min is just not cool.

So I started playing on my lvl 25 smurf. Then the story repeated itself, I win a few dozen matches and now with only 70~ games played my queue times on that account are 30 min again.

I asumed it had to do with my lvl, so I guess well Ill just make a new low lvl account for faster queue times, which is this one. I picked Expert in the difficulty thing asked at the beginning in order to not be matched with newbies.

I think the system is a bit unfair in those selections honestly, because (being lvl 1) I was playing sometimes in teams full of lvl 30s, and thats just nonesense considering the huge difference runes/masteries do specially in Dominion. But well, I still managed to win (or get carried) most games and at least my queue times here are around 12 mins so I will stick to it until I dont know what else to do.

But the problem comes that since this is a low lvl account, some games had low level players (I set Expert and have over 3:1 win ratio in 30~ games and I still get matched with/against lvl 1s with 0 wins sometimes, which is also something that makes me kind of upset because it makes no sense to me) who had no idea what they were doing, so it slowly but steadily has been raising my rage levels and I dont know what to do anymore because I dont want to stop playing LoL since Im on vacations and my brothers are coming to visit so we often play together.

Ive tried listening to music, all kinds of music, seeing streams of players who dont rage like Nekrogen, he takes mistakes lightly and with humour and I used to do that earlier this year, but now I dont know why I cant. It just builds in me.

Btw, this doesnt happen to me on the "higher level" games. When I play in my main and "high lvl" smurf I get matched often with great players like Nekrogen, FDru, Sr Pancho, etc. and the games are just much more interesting and fun, and I dont care for mistakes (mistakes hardly ever occur) because I know they are excellent players and have proven it on other matches so I just take them with humour (they also lead/encourage it which is good). Also because even though somehow I get matched to them, I dont think Im (anywhere near) as good as them so I feel like I make many more mistakes so I cant complain. But I cant make that happen on this account, where 70% of the players havent figured out Dominion well enough yet.

So I guess TLDR after all this gibberish that probably most didnt make much sense (Im quite tired and dont have a clear idea of why I made this thread.. I just need help) is, if you dont rage, how do you do it?

Even better, if you do have "rage feelings" in games but you manage to control them or make something (positive) else out of them, how do you do it? What makes you change them?

Not sure if Im explaining myself correctly but well, here goes nothing.

Thanks for reading if you are down here.

Sizmic

Recruiter

12-15-2011

My anwser is short. I don't rage simply because I think of this as a game for entertainment. Even in ranked play. I mean my success / failures at this game mean nothing in the real world. I am no pro and I am not on a team like solo mid so there is no real pressure to win.

Winning in LOL is fun but its not the end all of life.

Necks

12-15-2011

I never rage. You should practice it. When something awful happens, observe what your body naturally does. Literally pause, and look at yourself.

You'll probably feel an itching urge to burst out with rage. After a while, you'll realize how primitive and silly your reactions are, and you'll actually start to feel embarrassed about yourself if you do rage from then on. Because by then, you will have realized how pointless everything is; even life itself is pointless, ultimately.

It's good to be aware of yourself.

gnmish

12-15-2011

I see far less rage in Dominion and I'd attribute that to a number of reasons.

1. Shorter games, less time for frustration to build
2. A bad start does not condemn you to losing
3. Team work is far more important than 1 or 2 "Hyper carries" getting fed.
4. Its so fast paced people often don't have time to sit and type.

So I think in hindsight the "raging" element we all are used to was really a product of Classic SR being so mind bogglingly boring, remove the hour long, last hitting snoozefest and you get a much more pleasant gaming experience.

If you want to rage less, become more focused on what you are doing and less on your team mates, if they are failing try to encourage them positively. If you really must, think about it as using them up to achieve your goals like a super villain.

RealWolf M

12-15-2011

I rage.

When my team keeps going in 1 by 1, not just waiting 4 seconds for that player behind them, dying, and giving hte enemy team gold while not helping our points.

Thats when I rage

OmySpy

12-15-2011

I went through a period where I got very mad/frustrated, not necessarily because of poor team performance, but more because of negative people on my team. I would get mad at them for being mad about stupid things (everyone's builds, first blood, etc.) I didn't express anger in chat, but I felt really bad irl and it made playing LoL bad for my general mood. After awhile though, I stopped getting those feelings. I don't think anything triggered it, perhaps I just realized that the outcome of a game and my crappy teammates do not really affect my life.

If you feel angry, take a step back and remember that game things really don't matter. If people are trolling just ask them to stop, and if they don't ignore/report them, let the Tribunal (myself included) deal with them, and just focus on yourself and your other teammates. If that doesn't work (and it may not) then just stop playing when you start to feel bad. There is nothing wrong with recognizing that you aren't having a good time, and doing something else. If you're a Star Wars fan, do anything old Obi-Wan says related to the Jedi.

RealWolf M

12-15-2011

just a note, never seen a tribunal case from dom, has anyone else?

I know the only indicators would be unique items or certain comments in chat, but still :P

Argodis

12-15-2011

Wha... I see more rage in Dominion than I did when I played SR.

I rage all the time. Sorry, I can not be a saint like you all can.

However, I do not put down my teammates in game. I understand that talking bad about someone isn't going to make them play better. I also feel people need their not so obvious mistakes to be called out. They aren't going to improve if they don't know what they're doing wrong.

I tell allies good job when they do make a good play and I tell the enemies the same when they play well.

People tend to take criticism a lot better if you acknowledge the things they did well beforehand.

If they do something obviously stupid I just give a "lol" in chat as they likely know what they did wrong and already feel bad about it.

At the end of a bad game I may say "GG bad Lux" , "Joe never play X champ again" or "Some teams just can't be carried," but that's usually as far as I go unless someone starts an argument with me about the champ I selected. I leave the lobby immediately after I say those things because I know I like to argue a lot and would feel compelled to get into a long rant against them if I see that they responded.

Most of the time all I do is sigh and think, "It's solo queue, what do I expect."

Not everyone can be a none rager so you shouldn't try to change who you are. Just be careful with your choice of words and realize that putting down your teammates isn't going to make them play better and will ultimately lead to you getting banned. Oh, and it's solo queue.

Mindllapse

12-15-2011

Quote:
Necks:
I never rage. You should practice it. When something awful happens, observe what your body naturally does. Literally pause, and look at yourself.

You'll probably feel an itching urge to burst out with rage. After a while, you'll realize how primitive and silly your reactions are, and you'll actually start to feel embarrassed about yourself if you do rage from then on.

It's good to be aware of yourself.

that's called repression not awareness

Necks

12-15-2011

Quote:
Mindllapse:
that's called repression not awareness

It's called not raging.