What is an offtank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Írb Jr

07-10-2010

I've seen this term used a few times but I'm not quite sure which champions fall into this category.

Tram

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2010

This is more of a MMORPG a la WoW thing.

Basically, the reserve tanker. Usually a "Fighter" champion.

For those who don't know what a "Fighter" is defined by, it's a character that gets both survival and damage items, mostly AD.

Like a Garen who plays correctly or a Jax (gets health from passive)

0rangeSoda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-10-2010

Tanky characters like Nasus
who can absorb a lot of damage, but usually shouldn't be the only tank for a team to depend on and lack the initiating ability "Tanks" like amumu/shen have

LolCatIsLol

07-10-2010

Offtank means a semi-tank who is tanky and can contribute damage to teamfights, like Nasus or a fed sion.

Kamrusepas

Banned

07-10-2010

Udyr, Sion, Malphite, Taric and NuNu.

Theses are characters that will often get targeted instead of the tank, so they need alot of survivablity. Off-Tank is basicly someone that can take a fear amount of beating, its quite a meaningless word.

Nerf Hammer

07-10-2010

Offtanks are champions that don't do enough damage to be called DPS, and suck at tanking focus fire like a tank, so they call themselves off-tanks just to justify everything and make themselves feel better.

Its like those people who suck at everything, so they latch onto someone, and claim to be "supporting".

Excludee

07-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Hammer View Post
Offtanks are champions that don't do enough damage to be called DPS, and suck at tanking focus fire like a tank, so they call themselves off-tanks just to justify everything and make themselves feel better.

Its like those people who suck at everything, so they latch onto someone, and claim to be "supporting".
Nasus can be considered an offtank.

Arthas Menethil

07-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Hammer View Post

lolumadbrah

Írb Jr

07-10-2010

Ahhhh alright That explains a bit, thank you!

turtlejay

07-10-2010

In an mmo an off tank is the guy who isn't taking the aggro from the main boss, but he is around to take aggro from the adds or to pull it on himself if the tank dies or something else unexpected happens.

In pen and paper gaming I think it is more of a secondary durable character that can help the tank control the mobs and possibly set up flanks with other characters.

In lol I'd guess it is simply a tough, tank-like character but without any real initiation or damage mitigation. I don't know how it was used in the context you saw it, but there are a few champs that might be considered off tanks, like Mord, Taric, or even Morgana.