Transition From Sona

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dite Hart

12-15-2011

I love playing as Sona. She's my favorite person to play, and I still plan on playing her often, but I'm currently only good with her and Soraka (who I play when Sona's taken).

But, I should probably learn to be able to play with other types of characters, whether it's a tank or some type of offensive character, and I wanted to ask what characters of other types that play kind of similar to Sona.

I'm willing try anyone, but it'll be during a week that they're free, unless I already have them.

I currently have Alistar, Annie, Miss Fortune, and Tristana.

I got Alistar and Tristana because they were free with their skins for the Youtube/Facebook thing. I've tried Tristana, but I haven't doen too well with her and my brother's enjoying her so I probably won't play her much anyway. I don't think I've tried Alistar yet.

I got Miss Fortune because she was initially going to be my ranged and I think she's cool. If no one else, I might try practicing with her more often. She's who I've been trying on Dominion.

My brother told me Annie would be good character to switch to. I tried her the other day in a 5v5 with me and all bots, but it wasn't working out well. But I think I just played her wrong.

I know most people will take time to learn, but it didn't feel like it when I was playing Sona (it wasn't hard to be decent with her, it's just taking time to be really good with her. like how I only learned about a week ago that she makes a better harrasser, and it's made the beginning of the game so much better), and I don't want to spend a lot of time playing with someone and losing a lot just to realize the character doesn't work with me.

And, Sona may have been easier because I'm used to healing. I think I've always leaned toward healers, so she may have been a bit more natural. While the games play differently, I've always liked playing healer characters. In almost every CAC game (mostly RPGs), I made my character healers, unless they were alone most of the time.

But, it could also be that Sona's an easy starting player.

Current Event

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-15-2011

Sona is a support character with a much different style of playing than most. Last hitting isn't as desired on supports because of the duo bot meta. Sona is a great champ but here are some non-support characters worth mentioning! (In my opinion)

Overall good champs:
Morgana
Lee Sin (versatile/jungle)
Garen
Brand
Annie of course but I don't like her as much anymore.
Tryndamere (solo top/jungle)
High skill cap AP carries: LeBlanc, Gragas, Malzhahar, Karthus.
Akali
Rammus
Amumu
Wukong (solo top)
Sion (AP and I've seen some success AD, his AP ratios are insane even after his nerf)
And Warwick who has always been pretty strong with great sustain and can be played basically anywhere.

Things to keep in mind:
Master a few champs, not every champ... It's still good to know what all the champs are capable of and to recognize some counters

Last Hitting (when I started concentrating on this it improved my game drastically)

Avoid death always (i still have trouble with this, don't let yourself lose a battle cause you're not fighting though!)

Watch a video from a higher elo summoner playing a champ you don't know but want to.

Have fun and be respectful! Hope this helps :)

HttpError404

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-15-2011

Udyr is a good tanky dps and his skills/cds work almost exactly like sona's. Damage Q, heal W, speed/stun E, aoe R. Stacking passive on cast. His role, however...

Definitely not support. His skills affect his auto attacks instead of his teammates.

Dite Hart

12-15-2011

Thanks, both of you! I'm glad responses come so fast. I'll try some of those on the list, but I'll probably look at Udyr first. It sounds like it'd be pretty easy to switch to him. I'd just have to focus more on the play style.

Although this is for Summoner's Rift, I was wondering, is Udyr a decent pick for Dominion as well?

HttpError404

12-15-2011

I haven't actually played him in dominion, or much dominion at all, but I would imagine he'd be viable for defending bottom or surprise speed rushes on an undefended point, as his E acts as both a movement speed burst and a stun that can be used once per champ per six seconds(IE by the time you stun the fifth one, the first one can probably be stunned again.).

Current Event

12-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dite Hart View Post
Thanks, both of you! I'm glad responses come so fast. I'll try some of those on the list, but I'll probably look at Udyr first. It sounds like it'd be pretty easy to switch to him. I'd just have to focus more on the play style.

Although this is for Summoner's Rift, I was wondering, is Udyr a decent pick for Dominion as well?
Overall udyr is a very strong pick (top or jungle) but you have to be really careful about being kited. I haven't seen him too much in dominion because I think his mobility and burst isn't as much as other champs. Akali or Sin as examples. I can imagine him being a good pick though.

Sofiamonster88

02-03-2012

Being someone who always plays Sona I think you'll adore Morgana. You should really check her out or even Kayle

bornl3gacy

02-03-2012

You seem to enjoy being a support player so i will recommend a few more supports for your kit that might be a little unorthodox from the common Sona/Soraka lanes which are basically afk press r and w and win

the 2 i have to recommend are nunu and gangplank

1. Nunu is an awesome support with his extreme slowing ability and attack speed steroid he will quickly shut down a soraka lane if played correctly and his later utility as a tank is impressive.

2. Gangplank is pretty much the same as Nunu except for his early harass ability which is incredibly his powerful slows and damage can make a momentary slip in positioning turn into a kill for your lane and he has great gold income in part to his ult being global.

Falanin

02-03-2012

Out of what you have, Alistar can play the same role on a team that Sona does (bot lane support). He builds fairly similarly to her, too. He's got a lot different playstyle, though, and he works better with different team comps than Sona does, so if you want to start by expanding your support skills, that's who I'd learn next.