AD vs. AP Kat?

123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Matuk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoukitenshi View Post
So if AD kat is > AP Kat, what do you want as far as runes and whatnot? And should you still be running a 9/0/21 for magic pen/utility? Or would that be more like a 21/7/2 kind of build?

Also, AD kat relies on kills as well. All the AD kats I've seen run with a Sword of the Occult along with Merc Treads, then I'd figure an infinity edge and 2x bloodstealer.
The best AD Kat I've ever seen is one I play with consistently, and he never gets Sword of the Occult.

Usually he starts out with two Heart of Gold, gets Boots somewhere in there, and then buys two BF Swords. Most games end by then, but I'm pretty sure he builds them into two BTs.

Not sure what else he would get. Pretty sure he grabs a PD if the game is still going after that.

kyoukitenshi

07-10-2010

I don't know, I did a couple games today playing AD, kind of sucked the first one since they had 3 tanks, but the second one, where they were running 2 tanks/kat/yi/teemo, I completely destroyed. Killing with auto attacks for the win. Sword of the occult just makes sense to me, especially when playing low-mid ELO. If I rack up kills quickly then I've got 100 bonus damage for only 1369.

Would heart of gold actually be worth it? Kat last hits incredibly well, and if you're playing mid gold isn't really anything to worry about.

The build I used today in my games was
Boots of speed/2 pots
upgrade into merc treads
sword of the occult (I had 5 kills right off the bat with this)
BF Sword
BF Sword
BF Sword
BF Sword
Upgrade to Bloodstealer
Upgrade to Bloodstealer

This was in about a 45 minute game.

Nihili

07-10-2010

I used to roll with AP on her, but after getting raped by an AD Katarina I gave it a try, and it turned out to fit my play-style much better.

She farms way better than AP Kat, thanks to BB hitting harder, and having a better auto-attack.

You shouldn't really auto-attack enemies with Kat, but if you get silenced or use all of your cooldowns, spending these 3-4 seconds smacking people with your 200+ AD is better than nothing. As an AP Kat, you can't do **** in these situations, 'cept of running away of course.

Matuk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2010

Quote:
I don't know, I did a couple games today playing AD, kind of sucked the first one since they had 3 tanks, but the second one, where they were running 2 tanks/kat/yi/teemo, I completely destroyed. Killing with auto attacks for the win. Sword of the occult just makes sense to me, especially when playing low-mid ELO. If I rack up kills quickly then I've got 100 bonus damage for only 1369.

Would heart of gold actually be worth it? Kat last hits incredibly well, and if you're playing mid gold isn't really anything to worry about.

The build I used today in my games was
Boots of speed/2 pots
upgrade into merc treads
sword of the occult (I had 5 kills right off the bat with this)
BF Sword
BF Sword
BF Sword
BF Sword
Upgrade to Bloodstealer
Upgrade to Bloodstealer

This was in about a 45 minute game.
The real boost is the early HP and Armor, meaning she has nothing to fear from the auto-attack champs that are sure to try and attack her when she Shunpos in. I think.

Though I imagine the gold boost helps, because you can't always be guaranteed a legendary killing spree in the early game. I think the Kat I mentioned likes to plan for the worst.
And, trust me, that HP of his makes him hard to kill.

Sad thing is that he doesn't have a whole lot of runes. I'm not sure why.

kyoukitenshi

07-10-2010

That would make sense, yeah. That seems to be a problem early game, actually. Last hitting is fine, especially with BB, and actually I can generally own them really easily 1v1 early game even without the added health, but there seems to be a problem getting enough gold to stack mad BF's early game.
also, when stacking bloodstealers, when you get a kill does it just give you the +AD on the one bloodstealer, or say if you had 4 BS's, would it give you the stack effect on all of them when you got a kill?

Matuk

07-10-2010

Quote:
That would make sense, yeah. That seems to be a problem early game, actually. Last hitting is fine, especially with BB, and actually I can generally own them really easily 1v1 early game even without the added health, but there seems to be a problem getting enough gold to stack mad BF's early game.
also, when stacking bloodstealers, when you get a kill does it just give you the +AD on the one bloodstealer, or say if you had 4 BS's, would it give you the stack effect on all of them when you got a kill?
Probably all of them. Don't see why not.

Silent Reaper

07-10-2010

I like Ap Better because I can get items that sync with her abilities better.

In particular, Abysall Scepter, Void Staff and Rylais.

The rylais definitly makes all of your abilities slow (makes your ultimate more scary) and magic pen just helps. (Can'tslow while using an ultimate and hyaving frozen mallet eh?)

Bloothirster also work on katarina, however it's really a person preference.

AD and AP are both good.

Khranz

07-10-2010

I've played both. AP Kat is better if you have an easy lane. If I have to solo lane I go AD Kat.

AP Kat feels more bursty thanks to Shunpo AP scaling + LichBane. Ult comes out about the same in terms of damage. But consider AP Kat has access to the following... Abyssal Scepter (dive into enemies and they all suffer -20 MR), Zonya's Ring (dive in, Ult, Invuln if necessary), Rylai's (slow on abilities), LichBane (huge burst after every ability).

BlindEternities

07-10-2010

if people are running away from you then ap and ad ult does the same damage, since ad has more damage per second but ap has slow so the damage lasts longer. but an ad kat's ult hits harder if your team has someone like amumu. (actually amumu's a bad example since he lowers the enemy magic resist so it would be about the same.) as for shunpo since you auto attack once right after it there's not much difference either (not counting lich bane) the main difference that i know is ap has much more utilities (slow, aura, lich bane, etc.) whereas ad is better farmer and can team fight better past her ult.

KazeShinryu

07-10-2010

I had success with a semi hybrid build, building rylai's before or after my 1st bfs, then going to Bloodthirster route. The slow with the high ult output of a AD build really makes sure there are no stragglers. The extra HP is also amazing since you definately will get focused, and can mean the difference in a team fight.

123456 ... 10